Sir_Conor

New Server Discussion and Suggestions

1 hour ago, Sir_Conor said:

Outbreak needs to make some money not pay for it. The only way prizes would be made if the player did them.

My bad,I am thinking way ahead with that point,where we would have a consistent large player base playing the gathers/dms/retakes/executes and potentially being able to get a skin gambling website to sponsor it to provide the prizes.Its a long shot,but if the servers are really successful it could happen.Obviously we would start of with a small amount of servers.Most likely one of each type of server.But if we notice them getting full,you could add more servers but not over do it,because you want some sort of income coming in and eventually even monetize them by giving priority to people who pay for reserves spots which would bring some sort of money to the community and once it starts to get big any skin gambling site would love to advertise a large player base to gambling.Which would solve the problem of the community having to pay for the prizes.

So yeah thats just me looking into the future of what we could potentially do.Obviously we would never know how it will go unless we try it out.Also currently its me and jamie paying for the prizes on the new gather system.The season has 2 days left and whoever comes first gets the prize.We just used it as a practice season which was only 2 weeks long,but next season would be a month long and a bigger prize.I really see this new gather system becoming bigger,its currently working really well since it actually is making everyone in the community play alot more cs.It used to be alot harder to get a gather going before with only having at most one gather a day and sometimes none,but now we are seeing an average of 5 a day.Also im encouraging people in the hub/in the community to invite there friends who are outside the community to come play.This would expand the growth of the community and get some new faces coming around.

Edited by Extinct ツ

1v1 with competitive leaderboard would work well in conjunction with the hub, bringing in newer players into the competitive CS side of the community. This will not support Outbreak financially though.

This may be a decent opportunity to use the dedi to it's full potential and launch 2 servers. I would normally be against this, but we have a large group of people who are passionate about CS that can hopefully keep a 1v1 arena running.

As for the other server, it will need a community-wide effort to populate and something that we would enjoy playing. Jailbreak flopped because no one wanted to play it. Does it have to be CSGO? Preferably, as CSGO is owned by pretty much everyone here but it's not a necessity.

I will brainstorm for some casual-fun server ideas and get back to you

However I support any kind of server that WILL have an active playerbase, it is nessecary that it brings cash in. There's probably not much cash left, the VPS/dedi is probably not cheap and the forum license needs to be paid probably. A server that is hard to monetize could bring just a little bit in from donations, but if it can match the upkeep is more the question.

1.  Duel server, basically a 1v1 server but it's not on the usual  aim maps but on maps from the competitive map pool, it's good for practicing both your aim and being able to further develop your way of knowing the map you will play in a gather/comp. The map is just common angles you battle in games for example short on mirage. For money making i would say make it so if you donate you get a server reserve spot and also skins like knifes and gloves etc. i can give an IP of a server that works that way.
  2. Also we can host our mini tournaments with like 5$ entry and the winner gets a skin or something, make 1 every month so people don't loose interest too fast and more people join.
  3. Good old paintball, both competitive and fun, there are tons of maps for it, and for money making i would say the same as above

19 minutes ago, Liutvi Mestan said:
  1.  Duel server, basically a 1v1 server but it's not on the usual  aim maps but on maps from the competitive map pool, it's good for practicing both your aim and being able to further develop your way of knowing the map you will play in a gather/comp. The map is just common angles you battle in games for example short on mirage. For money making i would say make it so if you donate you get a server reserve spot and also skins like knifes and gloves etc. i can give an IP of a server that works that way.
  2. Also we can host our mini tournaments with like 5$ entry and the winner gets a skin or something, make 1 every month so people don't loose interest too fast and more people join.
  3. Good old paintball, both competitive and fun, there are tons of maps for it, and for money making i would say the same as above

shouldnt make everything about money tho. not eveyone is willing to spend money

Gaming communities have changed quite a lot in recent years. This is because games have changed, streaming has become massive and esports have too. Looking over our current Server/Forum/Teamspeak/Server model we have fallen far from what is expected from a gaming community. These are my top suggestions for bringing OB into 2018.

Discord

I understand that many in the community are die hard Teamspeak fans. Teamspeak has been the backbone of the community whenever our game servers fail however it is time we step into the modern era and get discord. Discord has features that we currently use Teamspeak, the forums shoutbox and whatsapp to achieve but it does this with an improved UI, free hosting and better management.

For those who still have discordphobia here is an image of what an OB discord server could look like.

Spoiler

g9cCCHi.png

Events

Around September I attempted to push the community into playing regular events. Ultimately I gave up when a lack of support from an event team resulted in a very shoddy event taking place. Despite this I still think events are key in gaming communities and if other community members are dedicated enough to help out then I would too. This being said I do not think our old event system was the best, there are several key things we can do the help improve it, such as:

• Rewards for event winners, such as skins and games.
  • Team & solo events
  • Cooperative & competitive events
  • Hour long & month long events
  • Tournament events

If we have a lot of varied events then there is a chance for everyone to join in and have fun, which is an essential part to the community.

Servers

A huge benefit of having varied events is that you effectively have a rolling server however there is still nothing wrong with a permanent server. They are a good stable position for players to join, the community to monetise and to bring new players in. We have proven that we can populate servers when we need however our problem is keeping a self sustaining server population. We could look into trying to encourage our current community to join our servers or we can look at servers that require less people to have an enjoyable experience.

In the past we've tried minigames, jailbreak, surf, dark rp and minecraft, all of which had their own success however their main issues are they require a lot of admin and an interesting player base. Perhaps we should look at 1v1, retakes and arena servers for much more self contained experiences. The main problem with these are that it's harder to capture a new player into the community when they don't have to interact with us in the same way, however if we're not willing to interact with our own server like we used to then we must move on.

Another key aspect we've got the remember is that players in CSGO don't want such a varied gameplay anymore. They want to play competitive and anything that can give them an edge when it comes to that. Unfortunately that means community servers with these are incredibly over saturated, such like dust2 servers used to be in CSS. Whether that is something we want to head towards isn't something I'd support but we may have to look at it considering the attitude of the current CSGO community.

19 hours ago, Skeff said:

Gaming communities have changed quite a lot in recent years. This is because games have changed, streaming has become massive and esports have too. Looking over our current Server/Forum/Teamspeak/Server model we have fallen far from what is expected from a gaming community. These are my top suggestions for bringing OB into 2018.

Discord

I understand that many in the community are die hard Teamspeak fans. Teamspeak has been the backbone of the community whenever our game servers fail however it is time we step into the modern era and get discord. Discord has features that we currently use Teamspeak, the forums shoutbox and whatsapp to achieve but it does this with an improved UI, free hosting and better management.

For those who still have discordphobia here is an image of what an OB discord server could look like.

Reveal hidden contents

g9cCCHi.png

Events

Around September I attempted to push the community into playing regular events. Ultimately I gave up when a lack of support from an event team resulted in a very shoddy event taking place. Despite this I still think events are key in gaming communities and if other community members are dedicated enough to help out then I would too. This being said I do not think our old event system was the best, there are several key things we can do the help improve it, such as:

• Rewards for event winners, such as skins and games.
  • Team & solo events
  • Cooperative & competitive events
  • Hour long & month long events
  • Tournament events

If we have a lot of varied events then there is a chance for everyone to join in and have fun, which is an essential part to the community.

Servers

A huge benefit of having varied events is that you effectively have a rolling server however there is still nothing wrong with a permanent server. They are a good stable position for players to join, the community to monetise and to bring new players in. We have proven that we can populate servers when we need however our problem is keeping a self sustaining server population. We could look into trying to encourage our current community to join our servers or we can look at servers that require less people to have an enjoyable experience.

In the past we've tried minigames, jailbreak, surf, dark rp and minecraft, all of which had their own success however their main issues are they require a lot of admin and an interesting player base. Perhaps we should look at 1v1, retakes and arena servers for much more self contained experiences. The main problem with these are that it's harder to capture a new player into the community when they don't have to interact with us in the same way, however if we're not willing to interact with our own server like we used to then we must move on.

Another key aspect we've got the remember is that players in CSGO don't want such a varied gameplay anymore. They want to play competitive and anything that can give them an edge when it comes to that. Unfortunately that means community servers with these are incredibly over saturated, such like dust2 servers used to be in CSS. Whether that is something we want to head towards isn't something I'd support but we may have to look at it considering the attitude of the current CSGO community.

I swear if all of yall want to use discord this much why not launch a test Outbreak community Discord yourself and invite people to use discord and if it turns out well tell conor and he might just do something with it. At this point spamming the forums with discord blablabla is getting annoying we got the proposal of getting discord running in ob i just dont think a lot of people support the idea and you can call this being scared for something new or whatever but for the love of god stop posting about discord on forums everytime i see the word discord im getting triggered