Sign in to follow this  
Skeff

Surf?

Hello guys.

In the April news update created by Unseen (& presumably other mods) there was a mention of a new surf server, which was voted on at the start of April. I know we have a dedicated server so setting it up shouldn't be too hard and I also know we wanted to merge the JB and surf store but that is no excuse to delay. So I was wondering how we are progressing with this.

ummm I dunno skeff.

its almost like hackers came in and fucked everything in the ass a week before the server was going to open and the whole staff have been sorting it out for the past 3 weeks. Surf would have been up by now if this hadn't happend. 

chill pls

Sorry, I'm not not sure if you meant it this way but this has come across, at least for me, as really ignorant and arrogant. If you had been active recently you might recall a few weeks ago we were about to put up the surf server and everything was going well, a default server was even set up but before any custom work could be begun our stuff was hacked into and due to this everything was disabled by us to try limit the amount of damage and to find out how it had happened.

Also as a side note, just before the 'hack' happened, we had moved over to a new dedi as for the same price we got double ram, quadruple hard drive space and eventually more security. We had a week to move over the gameservers to a new dedi due to what happened, which would be fine by itself but as the new dedi is Linux I also would have had to learn all of the basics for Linux to set up gameservers in that time too.

However of course things in OB don't go so easily. When I had 5 days to finish moving our stuff across from the dedi to our new bigger and better dedi, we got anonymoosed and I had to  spend 1-2 days trying to find out how it was done to make sure it doesn't happen again. This ended up in me deciding to move everything to the new dedi to keep it more secure so it meant having to have to learn a hell of a lot more in a short time. These were things that I've never had any real previous experience with but after staying up quite a bit over those few days that I had I was able to get a basic JB up. I then had to get the forums sorted by setting up SQL databases and importing previous data (which is really fucking fun), following this I also had to fix, add extra things to and secure our sourcebans, CTbans, permissions and every other little thing while also fixing every problem that popped up along the way. All of this was done along with having a job and other commitments. I'm not trying to sound petty or like a bitch when I say this, I am more than willing to put time into this community but I work at my own pace.

So I have been doing a hell of a lot of stuff and working as fast as I can without completely just no life-ing 100% of my time to it. It is a hobby of mine but this an explanation of why surf is taking longer than we expected. Also Mintlou, I don't really know what your point is about as others have tried to explain it to me but I'll wait until you come to me directly rather than listen to their possibly wrong interpretations. Read above if you also didn't know why surf has been taking longer.

I think the explanation helped a lot tbh. 

My point referred to the time since the poll VS now. It's been a long time, and I feel that if you really wanted to get a surf server up, then you could have done it by now. I get that you have a life and work some sketchy night shifts, but it has been nearly 2 months since the end of the poll, which I believe is long enough to add one extra server which is actually simpler that JB to configure. 

I think you went against something you once told me. You said never to tell anyone anything until it is ready, so that people don't dwell on the time between the announcement and the server being up. 

I'm not being hostile about this, but people want to know why it isn't up, it's because you have a life and have other things to be doing alongside running this place. We know it is all in the works.

That wasn't meant to sound arrogant or ignorant I just wanted to know if we had any progress. Thanks for the transparency about what has been going on now, although I wish you were slightly more transparent in general. You do a fair amount behind the scenes that takes up a lot of your time, time I feel others could help you with. People in the community know a lot of this stuff you're trying to learn and I feel you don't utilise the community to it's full potential, for example if you need SQL or Linux help.

Anyway thanks for the update, I can't wait to play it when it comes out.