Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Books

Please explain to me how they could be better. They have a lot of pros I'll give you that, I'm not blind to their usefulness on holidays and such but they feel wrong. I don't understand anyone who could use it exclusively if they actually liked reading and valued books.

Also to Mitch. Say you read a book, you really enjoyed it, thought it was really good. You want to read more books like it, you can't ask Amazon, it's a website. Amazon reviews? Wow oh those super opinionated randoms who have read 3 books in their life and one of them was 50 shades of grey, yep, can trust them for some good advice. You might find something after a bit of hunting but who knows if it's any good or not. Alternatively, you could go into your local branch of Waterstones and ask a bookseller who has industry experience and can take the time to find the right book for you. You don't like it? Just take it back and exchange it, free of charge. You don't even need a receipt.

What's that I hear you say? Your nearest Waterstones is an hour away and you can go in? Well guess what, there's also a website where we have over 675,000 titles that will be delivered faster than Amazon can, in most cases the book will be at your door in 24 hours, free delivery AND the prices are no different from Amazon. Wanna know something else, on our website most of the reviews are done by verified booksellers so you know they know what they are talking about if they think it's good or bad.

So yeah, if you can't actually go into a shop because you don't live near one, it's no excuse, just use the website.

You want to know another reason? By not going to bookshops you are in fact contributing to their decline and soon enough there won't be any left. Then your gonna be stuck with Amazon. In 2011 when E readers exploded it almost single handily killed Waterstones, turnover was halved year on year to 2013 from 560 million down to just 127. Only some huge company reformatting and a new drive has been able to save and put it back on the correct path. Don't be silly, help bookshops stay alive. They are closer to going than you probably think

Please explain to me how they could be better. They have a lot of pros I'll give you that, I'm not blind to their usefulness on holidays and such but they feel wrong. I don't understand anyone who could use it exclusively if they actually liked reading and valued books.

Also to Mitch. Say you read a book, you really enjoyed it, thought it was really good. You want to read more books like it, you can't ask Amazon, it's a website. Amazon reviews? Wow oh those super opinionated randoms who have read 3 books in their life and one of them was 50 shades of grey, yep, can trust them for some good advice. You might find something after a bit of hunting but who knows if it's any good or not. Alternatively, you could go into your local branch of Waterstones and ask a bookseller who has industry experience and can take the time to find the right book for you. You don't like it? Just take it back and exchange it, free of charge. You don't even need a receipt.

What's that I hear you say? Your nearest Waterstones is an hour away and you can go in? Well guess what, there's also a website where we have over 675,000 titles that will be delivered faster than Amazon can, in most cases the book will be at your door in 24 hours, free delivery AND the prices are no different from Amazon. Wanna know something else, on our website most of the reviews are done by verified booksellers so you know they know what they are talking about if they think it's good or bad.

So yeah, if you can't actually go into a shop because you don't live near one, it's no excuse, just use the website.

You want to know another reason? By not going to bookshops you are in fact contributing to their decline and soon enough there won't be any left. Then your gonna be stuck with Amazon. In 2011 when E readers exploded it almost single handily killed Waterstones, turnover was halved year on year to 2013 from 560 million down to just 127. Only some huge company reformatting and a new drive has been able to save and put it back on the correct path. Don't be silly, help bookshops stay alive. They are closer to going than you probably think

Why are you backing up waterstones when they just shove you in the basement?

That's all well and good, but so what if your huge, faceless company almost went under? You guys are single handedly closing down independent, interesting book stores daily. I don't mean the kind of shop that is run by sweaty teenagers who are just doing it as a job or for "retail experience", I mean shops run by intelligent people who are knowledgeable about literature and can provide a strong recommendation based on what you enjoy reading. Amazon is bigger and "better" than Waterstones, in exactly the same way that Watershones is bigger and "better" than a one man band with beautiful books on his small shop's shelves.

tumblr_inline_mi33458irI1qz4rgp.gif

If you can't find a book you'd like to read with the use of the internet you're pretty dumb

Almost every book I've purchased has been online, with no guidance from "professionals", just reviews, discussions and general summaries, and I've not disliked a single one.

Eventually find a book I don't enjoy? Oh well, another one for the book shelf and a piece of discussion.

Currently reading Band Of Brothers - Brilliant reading following Easy Company and the 501 squadron, recomond it

Great book - highly recommend this.

Minor correction though: Easy Company, 506th PIR (Para Infantry Regiment), 101st Airbourne

If anyone like(d) that then I also recommend:

Helmet for my Pillow - Robert Leckie

With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge

These were the books use as a basis for the mini-series The Pacific and were written by serving marines in the Pacific Theatre in the SWW.