Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Books

Okay so in this topic you guys will post what book you are currently reading along with the author... However if you don't read you can't really take part in this. Secondly, you will put what your favourite book series is along with the author.

Here's what it will look like:

Currently reading-Maze Runners, James Dansher

Favourite series-CHERUB, Robert Muchamore

Currently reading: Lolita, on like the final 20 pages though.

"A middle-aged college professor becomes infatuated with a fourteen-year-old nymphet."

Really enjoyed it, Humbert Humbert is one weird, sometimes funny fucker. Keeps throwing in French phrases all throughout the book, of which I have no idea what they mean.

Gonna move onto some assorted Edgar Allen Poe work next.

I've never actually read a book series, might give Dark Tower a shot at some point.

Shall we all throw in a brief plot summary so we don't have to google everything?

I haven't read a single book for a while now(exception is university material).

My favorite to say the least is: Waiting for Godot (Samuel Beckett) I've been a nihilist for 5-6 years now and that book really describes a very irregular plot progression with elements of nihilism. There isn't even a plot to say the least, but there are quadrillions of metaphors.

Now this is a thread I can get my teeth into.

As some of you may know my job title is actually a "bookseller", it's kind of like a potion seller but I sell books to people instead of, you know, potions. I work in the UK's biggest PROPER bookshop chain, Waterstones. (WHSmith can get to fuck, a proper bookshop dosen't do meal deals) I have worked in the stones for coming up to 3 years now so, when it comes to books, I kind of like to think I know my shit. I read a lot, mostly because i get a lot of books for free from publishers and so on but also because it generally makes my job easier if I know what I'm selling.

So. What am I reading at the moment?

1. Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway, kind of quirky "weird fiction" which has seen a bit of surge in popularity recently as this is a few years old. 2012 I think. A clock maker is pursued around London by dark and mysterious forces seeking an ancient doomsday weapon, swaps between the present day and the story of a spy about 50 years earlier. Really gripping.

2. A long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers. This looks like it could be my favourite book of 2016 if I don't read something nearly perfect in the next 10 months. I'm about half way through it and I fucking love it. Set aboard a worm hole tunnelling ship in the distant future where humanity has left a dying earth to explore the stars, they encountered a galactic federation of many species and were invited to join. Onboard The Wayfarer ( the ship) all sorts of different aliens and humans live and interact. The character voices are amazing, the settings and the descriptive imagination is mind blowing. So so good.

I sometimes read 2 books at the same time if I get bored of one of them and I can swap between them but it's rare.

My favourite all time book? I honestly couldn't name one, but a few are The Sisters Brothers,

Patrick DeWitt, The Martian, Andy Weir, The Lord of the Rings (obvouisly) J R R Tolkein, The Bonfire of the vanities by Tom Woolf and Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. On top of that I read a fuck load of Warhammer 40k fiction, it's my vice but I can't help it. It's kind of a running joke at work.

But yeah anyway, was gonna say, if anyone is looking for any books but they can't find one, just tell me what stuff you like reading and I think I could suggest a few things

As Hatch said, all of Raymond E. Feist's novels.

Not only the Riftwar, but all of them are so immersive, I get withdrawal symptoms if I stop reading for longer than a few days.

Imagine LotR crossed with Game of Thrones. But only the good bits of GoT, none of the depressing bullshit drama.

There's no sort of dark despair about it, they're all a real nice, happy read. Characters aren't killed off left right and center.

It's pretty much Kings, queens, knights, dragons, dwarves, elves, goblins, dark magicians etc etc.

Straight up fantasy, and almost all of his books are set in the same universe at a different time or another.

Mogworld is a fantastic World of Warcraft parody written by The Escapist's Zero Punctuation comedian Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw. Instead of following an epic hero of world saving potential, you follow a low level skeleton NPC. Honestly it's hilariously funny.

Metro 2033/34 books were 200% better than the games. I'd highly recommend.

Currently reading: Jake's Thing by Kingsley Amis and India by John Keay

Favourite series: None, most series suck and are just garbage genre novels pumped out for people who can't get to grips with new characters in a new setting or like the easy writing style yet can still say they 'read'. Favourite author is F. Scott Fitzgerald though - mad good at producing novels which are just (Y) (and are incredibly well balanced and handle themes and metaphor brilliantly)

Fluxy, Sony and Lurker: you all pass the not-shit test. You chaps read solid books written for grown-ups. I'm afraid the same cannot be said for the rest of you.

Izuka, you get an honourable mention for Metro 2033 but I'm afraid not quite enough to pass the test. You are well on your way though.

Currently reading: Jake's Thing by Kingsley Amis and India by John Keay

Favourite series: None, most series suck and are just garbage genre novels pumped out for people who can't get to grips with new characters in a new setting or like the easy writing style yet can still say they 'read'. Favourite author is F. Scott Fitzgerald though - mad good at producing novels which are just (Y) (and are incredibly well balanced and handle themes and metaphor brilliantly)

Fluxy, Sony and Lurker: you all pass the not-shit test. You chaps read solid books written for grown-ups. I'm afraid the same cannot be said for the rest of you.

Izuka, you get an honourable mention for Metro 2033 but I'm afraid not quite enough to pass the test. You are well on your way though.

lmao

What about the Mr. Men series?

Izuka

There's a test?

Uncle Bourbon dies 2mins in.

In the game, he dies about half way.

Edited by Guest