Sign in to follow this  
Stiqqy

Overwatch World Cup

In my opinion overwatch as an esports turned a corner with this most reason world cup as the viewing experience was excellent, this time instead of the red vs blue which was confusing for most viewers and sometimes even me, this tournie had team colours and all projectiles/placeables like winstons bubble was changed to the colour of the team, so every team had a home kit which the colour scheme on everything was changed, the away team was white. 

45F03E1C00000578-5042771-image-a-41_1509

Quarters 

The first game was between UK and Sweden - Sweden won 3-0.

The next was Canada vs austrailia which was my favourite game of the tournie, austrailia took the first 2 maps and then got reversed sweep'd for canada to win 3-2

After that it was China vs France in which france were the underdogs and won 3-1

The last Quarter final was South Korea vs USA which Korea took 3-1, the games were a lot closer than the end result 

Semis:

First semi was Canada Vs Sweden in which canada won 3-2

Next was Korea vs France in which korea took 3-1

The final game of the tournie was between South Korea and Canada, was very fun to watch and routing for canada was hard to watch as it looked like they could dethrone korea but in the end the koreans were just to good for them and took it 4-1.

overall i think this world cup was a massive success in overwatch becoming one of the titans of esports, it obviously will take a while to reach the levels of csgo/league etc but its making progress, i have been playing/streaming a fuckton of it recently was wondering if any of you still play the game or keep up with pro scene at all.

I do still play from time to time and have seen a some matches partially from the tournament. I completely agree that it's making steps forward in terms of esports, the difference between League of legends/CS:GO is that the Overwatch proscene is so much different than the matchmaking games you play. 

In CS:GO a lot of things you see pros do in-game you can kind of copy and learn from it yourself. In Overwatch teamplay/the objective is way more dominant than individual skill, which for me makes it less interesting to watch, because it's kind of a false preview of how a game looks. I know in both CS and LoL teamplay is a huge aspect of the proscene, but like I said, in Overwatch (just like TF2) the objective is just a little more important which most players refuse to realise. 

Overwatch is still a great game, but the individual skill-ceiling is a little low. My grandmaster IRL friend plays on a diamond smurf from time to time, where he has a winratio of about 50%, which proves that even though he should be way better than those players, he isn't. He might be better, but just not significantly. How did he get grandmaster? Playing with a team that takes the game insanely serious. Don't think that means he is boosted ;)

TL;DR SoloQ is fking aids

1 hour ago, Finnley said:

I do still play from time to time and have seen a some matches partially from the tournament. I completely agree that it's making steps forward in terms of esports, the difference between League of legends/CS:GO is that the Overwatch proscene is so much different than the matchmaking games you play. 

In CS:GO a lot of things you see pros do in-game you can kind of copy and learn from it yourself. In Overwatch teamplay/the objective is way more dominant than individual skill, which for me makes it less interesting to watch, because it's kind of a false preview of how a game looks. I know in both CS and LoL teamplay is a huge aspect of the proscene, but like I said, in Overwatch (just like TF2) the objective is just a little more important which most players refuse to realise. 

Overwatch is still a great game, but the individual skill-ceiling is a little low. My grandmaster IRL friend plays on a diamond smurf from time to time, where he has a winratio of about 50%, which proves that even though he should be way better than those players, he isn't. He might be better, but just not significantly. How did he get grandmaster? Playing with a team that takes the game insanely serious. Don't think that means he is boosted ;)

TL;DR SoloQ is fking aids

Solo'q to masters in season 4 and 3480 in season 5 but now im with friends (who arent that great) so i sit around what ever they are since im not really bothered about my personal rank, i prefer this over csgo because its a lot more fast paced and team heavy which is a lot more fun. I currently play most of the dps/tanks Genji/Widow/ being the two im doing the most of at the moment.

i'm looking forward to the overwatch world league, mostly because im hoping the recolours will be released as cosmetics for us :p

5 minutes ago, Oldmike said:

It's not an enjoyable "eSports" to watch in my opinion. Also very unfriendly for people to watch who are unfamiliar with Overwatch.

I'm happy OW is growing as it brings more variety of competitive games to watch for people.

i agree it isn't that enjoyable to newer viewers or but that will always be the case with overwatch as its more complex than csgo, bringing the hero complicity of a moba to a shooter, with the fact that is very fast paced compared to csgo where its very simple easier to commentate over. But it is taking strides to become a better esports viewing wise

Just to clear things up, I have no problem climbing. I have a problem finding satisfaction in climbing elo. The same shit happens in every rank.

In one of the first seasons I climbed from gold to diamond and in no way or shape I feel like I play better and teammates/enemies don't feel better neither. When I watch my friend in GM it looks like the exact same game I would have. Overwatch is truly the CoD amongst MOBAs.

Edited by Finnley