Lewis

XMAS CS:GO Competetive

Poll on XMAS gather event  

48 members have voted

1. 1. I will 100% be up for playing a gather this christmas (voter names are public)

2. 2. One evening event, or a bit longer?

3. 3. Before or after christmas?

18 minutes ago, Brawler said:

But some people are better than their rank

Not saying this isn't true, but even if you are performing way above your rank of say GN2 (as an example) you are still going to get destroyed by anyone above DMG, which most of the players probably will be. Dont want to be rude to anyone, but even if you consider yourself a pretty shit hot gold nova, I promise you its going to be a different story when your going up against LE's and LEM's let alone the plethora of globals we know have in the community. I get that people going to be disappointed if they feel they would be excluded from something like this because of their rank but in events like this in the past the most skilled people always have to be put on the same team as the least skilled people to balance it out. This leads to some people having to literally carry their whole team if they even want to have a chance at winning, see Lewis in the last tourny. Its just not fair or fun for that person. On T side yeah your top fragger can just run in, get the site, lower skilled players can play after plant, not so bad. But on CT side having to put someone who was a much much lower skill than most other people in the match on a site automatically weakens the defense on that site. I don't agree with people getting angry at people who arent a high rank as them for not doing well, you can't expect someone to hold their own against people 5,6,7 ranks above them, its just not going to happen, but it's still very frustrating to be losing a game by a narrow margin and have someone going like 2-13 because they just have no hope of getting any meaningful kills.

At the end of the day, the LoL tourny at a minimum rank sign up and I don't see why a CS one shouldnt have one, imo it would improve the experience for everybody playing.   

Edited by Fluxy

7 minutes ago, rhyse1317 said:

The LoL tourney had a minimum level sign up so that it was fair as runes and masteries are pretty much a necessity on it, not a minimum rank sign up. 

That was ONE reason, but it's a shit reason. It's just a disadvantage which terrible CS GO player also have too. (like saying you can't use a pistol so you're useless on a pistol round)

Also it's also a MOBA, which are much more in-depth than a frickin FPS.

But yea, it's the same concept. In LoL if you have a useless player their feeding them and not holding their lane so it's a 4v6.

If you have a terrible CSGO player their also feeding and giving away position and it's like a 4v6.

It was a LoL tournament made by the better players in this community, see how there's some sort of correlation :~)

Edited by DannyS

Not really, this thread isnt the place but just to clarify. 

- The LoL tourny had a minimum level sign up because you needed certain items and stuff to be able to compete against people who already had those items correct? 

- If these items are so integral to being able to perform in the game then level and rank are linked, you cant increase your rank without increasing your level, correct? 

- CS rank is determined by (for the most part) skill alone, you don't need any additional items (except dank skins) to perform well. 

- Therefore, almost no difference between stating a minimum rank signup for a cs tourny and a minimum "level" requirement for the LoL tourny, they are both measurements that provide a cut-off point for how well some people are expected to do against others. Those who have no real chance of competing should accept that.  

How so its the only actual input i've seen apart from "best players should pick" 

If you decide the highest ranked players and get them together to organize the event, i don't want to participate in the event personally before you dig about how i'm silver etc. and how invalid my opinion is, i'm just trying to help.

Hid a fuck ton of posts because they went from a bit of discussion (which was a discussion irrelevant to this thread anyway, and technically both sides were wrong LUL, but still) to a shit fest.

Return to the topic discussion ty. Though I believe Lew is making another thread for the actual dates/setup anyway, this was just an 'interest' thread.

Brave thing ur doing Ostrich. I can only wish you luck for hosting an OB tournament, you will be a nice juicy roast ostrich by the end of it :)

If you need any help/advice for it, you know who to call.

Edited by Gunstar

Lew asked me to put this idea forward (he's busy atm) and tbh I can kinda see some way of it working to make it fair but also inclusive.

Working the teams in a fantasy points system, where a higher rank costs more points. That way picking lower rank players, silvers, would be a tactical pick to be able to 'afford' more globals. This would both allow for a balance (picking players can take that risk of 'bot and god, or man and man?') as well as being inclusive to all willing and dedicated players (an example which Lewis made in his sign up post of Conor showed that a low skilled player who listens could be better valued than an ignorant mid skilled player) regardless of skill. Obviously some people would be against this as it would lower standard whatever way you work it, but remember this will be Christmas and an OB tourney - it should be inclusive, and as long as people have a basic understanding (played enough that they've at least obtained a mm rank) it wouldn't be so extreme.

Another suggestion that I made (which I hope to implement more assertively somehow for the bigger summer tournament next year) is to simply have two separate gather leagues for this event. You set a separation rank and have 2 tiers of teams. This would allow all players to be included in the event regardless of skill while entirely maintaining a good level of play for all players involved. However this would require a good number of players to maintain the pools for both tiers and so is more up in the air at this stage as we don't know who is actually available for the dates.

This thread is to discuss ideas though, so please give opinions. This might only last a few days and be smaller scale compared to ESL, but I'm sure Lewis, myself, everyone just wants to have the best environment for this community tournament.