As a fan of McGregor and fighting, let's do some actual analysis on this. Gonna try and keep it friendly for those who are not aware of what this is, who they are etc.
"The biggest fight in combat sports history"
UFC Lightweight Champion (and former dual champion of the featherweight class) Conor "The Notorious" Mcgregor (MMA Fighter)
The Boxing's all time best, 49-0 undefeated, Floyd "Money" Mayweather (World Champion Boxer)
Betting Odds (as of time of the post):
How to watch:
If you are in the UK £19.95 to watch it on TV or stream it online.
I will also be setting up a team speak Channel like last Mcgregor fight if you wanna discuss the rounds again.
Betting Odds / Favourite:
Mayweather: 2/9 (Favourite by a big margin)
Not a hard prediction however, more accurately, it's Best boxer ever fighting a MMA Fighter at boxing. MMA has elements of boxing. (Conor is undefeated standing up).
Clearly from the stats and from the type of sports, Mayweather is the favourite hands down.
You are delusional if you think otherwise. BUT, people are counting Mcgregor out just because he hasn't boxed before. He stills has a chance even if it's very little due to the unpredictability he will bring.
1. Mcgregor has never boxed before, so it will be hard to analyse how he will actually fight.
- However, Mayweather has been doing this his whole life, he's seen it all and done it all in terms of what is possible in boxing and combination of punches. It will still be hard to catch him out.
2. Mcgregor has a greater height and reach advantage, although it shouln't be a problem for mayweather, it DOES even if not that much help in a sport like this.
3. Age difference and Cardio - Mayweather is 40 compared to Mcgregor being 28, where Mayweather is considered to be past his peak physical conditions. Many people take this the wrong way, Mayweather may be 40 but he has the experience, he is still fit. In fact, Mcgregor had to take special Cardio training to be ready for the longer 12 round fight which has more breaks but is shorter in length compared to what hes used to at UFC.
4. 8 ounce Gloves - They are using lighter gloves than usual for the weight class. It was supposed to be 10 ounch gloves, however they both agreed to use lighter gloves. This means there is a great chance of a knockout. Mcgregor have been kicked in the head, he knows what a shinbone feels on his cheekbones. Although it will be extremely hard to even touch mayweather, if he gets hit by that left hook it could be all over. Then again, Mcgregor has never fought against a boxer like mayweather, expect him to get hit a LOT when mayweather does decide to be offensive.
Finally, I think it will be a great fight either way. Especially because you are seeing:
- a MMA fighter box against a a Boxer in a boxing ring. (You dont even wanan think about how it would go down for a boxer against Mayweather in the octagon )
- Two of the most famous combat sports stars in their own field.
To conclude, as it should be very obvious now, Mayweather is the favourite. The fight will end with Mcgregor being knocked out or decision win for Mayweather, everyone says "not surprised" and gets on with their day while the two take millions of dollars home in the bag. BUT, say Mcgregor takes that 1 in a 5 chance to win and defeats mayweather (it's not impossible), that will mean mayweathers record will be ruined to 49-1 after 21 years and Mcgregor will be in the news all over the media as the man to defeat THE man. This is why it's so interesting and worth watching, if it does happen, trust me, you don't wanna wake up to that news and be like "Fuck I shoulda watched that fight".
See you at around 4 am BST on the Sunday morning.