Sign in to follow this  
M1nt-l0u

General Election 2015

Quite an amazing night tbh.

Here is how it stands currently, with Conservatives already declared as the majority winners:

WQZgrmo.png

Staggering losses for Lib Dems, Amazing wins for SNP and a bit of a middle mix for Labour as they lose more than everyone thought.

The UKIP vote has indeed demonstrated the fact that our voting system is flawed. Nearly 4 million votes all for a single MP to represent it.

We've seen Nigel, Ed and Nick step down as leaders hopefully Ed & Nick can help to redefine their parties for a better chance next time around, Nigel on the other hand will be back I think. He said that he's stepping down for the summer and then his party will have internal elections for a new leader for which he is likely to stand for.

SNP presents us with an interesting case. If we look at the in and out vote for Scotland we see that it was 45% of people who didn't get it their way, the SNP spring up as the party that represents that portion of people and so it's easy to see how SNP has gained the success it has overnight. Nearly half of the Scottish people want another referendum. This turn of events may also be an indicator for future UKIP success in a very similar way; if Cameron manages to hold off the EU referendum for the whole term, then people will result to the only party who is definitely fighting for it in 2020. If Cameron gives us a referendum and the vote is NO then we might just see similarities within the UK that reflect those up in Scotland.

Who knows? Either way I'm pretty happy with the outcome, it was clear that UKIP wasn't going to win although the fight for the cause will still continue regardless of their leadership intentions. Well done to Greens for holding their seat in Brighton though.

The voting system is broken. How can SNP get 56 seats with 1.5m votes and UKIP only 1 with nearly 4 million? As much as I hate UKIP, it does not make any sense.

I am surprised that the Conservatives got a majority, considering nearly everyone I know despises them, was certain we were going to see a Coalition. Apparently many people changed their votes at the last second.

Because PR (proportional representation) dosent work that well, due to different populations density, for example, the Isle of Skye has about 300 people living on it but they deserve to be represented as much as someone in London does , how could you do this if proportionally they make up like 000000000.3% of the vote total? First past the post is a broken system for sure but it is a system that has worked for many years, while I think it does need a change saying "X % of people voted this way so X% power is given to that party" dosent work at all

^^^

RETARD LEVEL HAS HIT CRITICAL MASS

edit: you're presupposing the existing seat system having PR photoshopped over it. It wouldn't be done that way. if it -was- done that way, then yes, you're right. But if it was, I'd also consider moving to China, as it would clearly be a superior proponent of democracy to the garbage system previously mentioned.

There are different ways of doing PR, and the ones we would likely adopt wouldn't just be taking percentages. Much more likely to use Single Transferable vote. I'm not quite sure exactly how it works, but its would make things more proportional, not absolutely (it's highly unlikely we'll fully do away with constituencies). Just worth bearing this in mind - a lot of people on my facebook have done "calculations" that don't actually reflect what PR would give us.

And also fuck the Tories. Whilst the lib dems aren't particularly popular, they blocked a lot of vile illiberal policies that we will see happening in the next 5 years. We have lost the main voice for liberalism in this country, which is sad, even if they did make some poor choices.

I'm actually massively glad that a PR system was not in place for this election. There are nearly 4 million utterly moronic cunts out there who think Nigel Farage is a reasonable human being and not a horrendously backwards thinking, one track mind scum bag and a PR election that factored in that would have been a significant kick in the bollocks of common sense.

Mintlou don't forget Lenin has been voted in to power, Mussolini was voted in, and to an extent so was Hitler. Just because a large number of thick skulled knuckle draggers think policies that revolve entirely around "send those P.... back" and "all people from Romania and Poland are baby and job stealing gypsy scum" does not make it alright.

Thanks Biggles for making a well informed judgment of the entire situation, your feedback has given me much to think about.

Jak, what you've got to realise is that people have opinions that are different to yours. Sure you can speculate what might happen due to the policies of UKIP, but all that shows is that you can only think from your point of view, something which you routinely blame me for doing. With regards to UKIP, you're just as bad as I am.

60% of people agree with UKIP's plan for immigration control, it's just unfortunate that those same 60% don't agree/are not informed about the rest of their stuff enough to give us more votes. A PR system speaks for what the people actually want, and there's no escaping the fact that having nearly 4 million votes represented by a single seat is just reveals how flawed our system is; it isn't giving smaller parties a fair shot. Or course this favours the two at the top, so why would they change it?

If our leadership always followed public opinion, we'd still have the death penalty and homosexuality would still be illegal. So the "60% agree..." doesn't really mean a lot. A lot of people agree with all sorts of ideas - there's no intrinsic value to be attached to some argument, just because people agree with it.

Though FPTP is fucked. However, I probably prefer it to Free Market Nige and Cameron hacking apart the NHS and tossing the chunks for Yank companies to feast upon.

I'm actually massively glad that a PR system was not in place for this election. There are nearly 4 million utterly moronic cunts out there who think Nigel Farage is a reasonable human being and not a horrendously backwards thinking, one track mind scum bag and a PR election that factored in that would have been a significant kick in the bollocks of common sense.

Mintlou don't forget Lenin has been voted in to power, Mussolini was voted in, and to an extent so was Hitler. Just because a large number of thick skulled knuckle draggers think policies that revolve entirely around "send those P.... back" and "all people from Romania and Poland are baby and job stealing gypsy scum" does not make it alright.

Don't like UKIP, UKIP supporters, or Nigel Farage, but comparing Farage to Hitler and Mussolini is stupid. Equally, dismissing four million voters is equally stupid, and utterly not in line with democratic values. UKIP have a legitimate claim that they were cheated... four million votes is an enormous amount of support.