IrishChamp

Quick Conversation about Forum Reputation

I love this feature, but for it to work it needs to be used correctly and not abused. I have a feeling this is gonna get extremely downvoted just for the irony but I'm okay with that providing people take it on board.

You shouldn't -rep people because you disagree with them, you -rep people because they're not contributing to the topic, or being hostile, or whatever. 

It gives us a chance to actually reward people for good content on the forums and rip into anybody you posts a shit comment on a Member app or who shitposts on serious topics.

Please try to use this feature seriously. We've been given a nice tool by the higher ups, and if we abuse it then they're gonna take it away and give us less of the things that we ask for.

47 minutes ago, Fluxy said:

Asking for this feature to not be abused in OB....

Yeah good luck with that buddy. 

Give it some time and I can see it working out fine how Irish proposed.

However I do have -4 rep already...

Edit -5 now

EEEDET -7

Edited by Pepe The Frog

Just now, Skeff said:

Hopefully it will reduce the number of threads for things such as give aways, although we'll have to monitor it for activity when addressing new members.

I believe regs only have a limit of 1 upvote/downvote per day which seems fair.

2 minutes ago, Skeff said:

Hopefully it will reduce the number of threads for things such as give aways, although we'll have to monitor it for activity when addressing new members.

i dont think it will reduce the amount of shit threads but i think it will deter people from doing them if they see that they are downvoted etc, also i think that it should 5 votes per day as it seems like a fair number

Edited by Stiqqy

oh dear I misread this thread as a conversation about the shoutbox.

Umm the forum rep stuff... It could be great although if you lose rep it would be disheartening. I think if people +1/-1 appropriately then it should help clean up the posts from regulars whereas the new people will probably remain the same. Unless, god forbid, we have people who deliberately shitpost to get a low rep which I can imagine happening although I hope not.

I have a feeling its going to get abused, however, it would be good to use, as its probably been said before, to be able to take a look at someones REP before you read their post can probably change the entire view of how you take that post. Such as, if I saw someone with +50 REP, chances are I'd take their post more seriously, or hell, it could show how much effort that person has put into the community or how much shit that person has.

tl:dr pretty cool guys

I'd hate to see the forums transition from the aim being the quality of the discussion to the amount of rep you have, or repping eachothers posts. I hope this focus will go away quickly. This could be used really well to increase the quality of the discussion, but at the moment I feel like it might just be abused.

2 hours ago, Pepe The Frog said:

Give it some time and I can see it working out fine how Irish proposed.

However I do have -4 rep already...

Edit -5 now

EEEDET -7

we will combat the downvotes together pepe!

but yeh just give it some time :)