Sign in to follow this  
Skillershark

Languages

This is going to be a little bit of a rant by a student who is slowly becoming depressed through German homework.

I understand people might say "oh, you've got it easy, over in uni we get ten quadrillion pieces of homework a day" or something like that, and I'm certainly sorry if you get loads of homework, but this is my rant at getting too much homework in year 10, so please try not to ruin the illusion that I may be under that the only reason I'm overloaded with home work is because there's too much of it, not because I wait for the day it's due to do it.

Alas, enough of that. I put this here to talk about languages. Whether you love them or hate them, it seems they're a subject to stay. In my school, we're forced to do at least one language for GCSE. Some people of questionable sanity choose to do two, but we'll leave them to that. Anyway, the two languages we get to choose from are German and French. And this is where the rant begins. From years 7-8, we did three languages. The two mentioned before, and Spanish. However, in year 9, when everyone was thinking about what they wanted to do for GCSE, they removed Spanish. They said they couldn't fund it, although they were quick to fund the building of a massive new humanity building and new tech for the music block. Anyway, this was a real problem to me. I certainly couldn't take French, as I frequented Cs and Ds in the subject. German had been my second choice, but my average grade for it was a B, so nothing too special. Spanish, however, I could consistently get As and A*s in. I feel that if they were going to remove Spanish, they should at the very least remove it slowly, starting from the new Year 7's, going up with them until nobody in the school does Spanish. That way, everyone who had learnt Spanish for two or three years already didn't have to be depressed when they suddenly couldn't take that subject. Only doing Spanish as a language in primary school, and then doing it for two years in secondary school, I was rather unimpressed with how they had dealt with the situation.

Anyway, that's a little rant against my school and how they poorly dealt with dropping a subject. Next up is just the sheer amount of homework language teachers seem to give. They aren't all so bad, but I swear to God, my language teacher has the sole objective of invading our sanity with homework. Recently, we had a cover for two lessons, total of an hour and a half. In the first half an hour, we got 8 full A4 sides of grammar work to get started on. This didn't seem so bad, as we still had another hour to do more of it before we had to finish it for homework, right? Nope. Next hour of the lesson, we do a reading test, and then we're told we're expected to finish the 8 sides for homework. Keep in mind, the time we had to do this was more like twenty minutes than half an hour, as the cover teacher was a little late, and then had to hand out all the sheets. So here we are, with a supposed "half hour" of homework, wondering what we did to deserve this, and how we would survive.

So, I might as well ask a little question to finish this off. What languages did you/do you learn? Do you enjoy them? Or do you wish you didn't have to do a language? Thanks for reading.

EDIT: No programming languages, you cheeky buggers.

Edited by Guest

Agree with your point, they probably should have removed it gradually through years, like they do with course module alterations.

At my secondary school French was compulsory till year 9 - if you were good, top set at french you picked spanish or german to do year 8 onwards.

Was awful at both, no idea why I was picked. Google translated everything in French - had a a4 sheet of paper google translated for the end of year 9 test.

Spanish I picked for GCSE - didn't enjoy it tbh

other countries learn our language, we don't need to learn theirs, harsh but true

Well, in the Netherlands you have to learn besides your native language, English, French and German.

Depending on your grade or school, you also have to follow Spanish, Greek and Latin. Quite alot.

I enjoyed German alot :mrgreen: since I live close to the German border. It Helped me alot.

French was just stupid. No Explaination needed.

And yeah, everyone needs English these days.

We used to get taught German, French or Spanish in our school then had a choice to pick a language [they forced you to take the one that you did form y7-9 for GCSE] which was compulsary. Not going to lie, it was actually fun but at the same time quite hard. Google translated courseworks ftw :mrgreen:

Tschüss

Python, Scratch etc.

In all seriousness, English is my primary language, I can speak decent French, and (kinda) fluent German, yet for both foreign languages my pronunciation is way off so I sound fairly stupid at times.

Polish is my native language and I've been living in Ireland for the past 7 - 8 years so English is GG WP.

Other than that I know a bit of French and Irish.

Freaking hated German from the very beginning so as soon as I got the opportunity, I dropped it down and stuck with French.