Sign in to follow this  
Gunstar

OB Computer Scientists!

Hey guys, after joining the OB community, I have met soooo many of you who study computer science; whether you are doing it for GCSE, A-levels, at UNI, as a job or just for fun, this thread is for you! So I decided to make a thread for us to discuss about ... you know... computing stuff! Who knows... maybe we can even help each other out with our projects! :45:

So why don't you post a bit about yourself and what programming languages you know or are learning/want to learn.

So I am obviously quite interested in comp sci, otherwise wouldn't be making this thread. I am currently studying maths, further maths and computing at A-level, dropped physics in year 12 coz it was too much work for low reward :D. I have currently applied for a Comp Science degree at a few Universities, which i won't name yet coz I need the grades to get in first :P

I am quite familiar with Visual basic atm...been doing it for 2 years in my sixth form. I would say I am okay at it, but there are always 100 more things to learn for every new thing you learn in a programming language so... the possibilities are endless!

For my Year 13 comp project (AQA), I made a system where Student homework details are stored and let's a teacher save the marks/grades of each homework they have set after marking. Those details can then be viewed by the students and teachers and the teachers have a few options which lets them search for particular homework they desire. It uses a vb.net program front-end and a Access database which stores all the data, the front-end program uses SQL to insert, select, update, delete the data from the database through the frond-end program based on the user inputs. Believe it or not had to use the System-Life Cycle steps to do this project and let's just say there were a lot of diagrams, writing, explaining and about 200 pages involved. Ended up getting a A* for it in the end. :ugeek:

Anyway...hows it going for you guys? I know some of you are already making games, websites and some of you are already making a bit of money through this... looking at you popey and skeff.

OB Comp Scientists:

Gunstar
Popey
Blyss
Substick

Raw
Sjnokstaart
Veng3nce
Skeff
Mintlou
Storm
Skillershark

Mclovin
ColdMeekly

Edited by Gunstar

Well I am in first year at a Compute Science degree and I've only learned Java and assembler(low-level language) I love programming and I can do the basic on Java (handle exceptions,strings,objects,text files,etc). On my next year I'll be taught data bases and more advanced aspects of Java. Do you know programming in any language?

btw, nice to see you're interested in computer science ^^

I've been a computer science student since GCSE. All OCR board.

Computer science is an excellent subject, it teaches the fundamentals of how a computer actually works down to its most basic level, while trying to introduce the ideas of modern programming languages. The GCSE stuff is quite lightweight, but I'd say that it is an essential introduction the the next level. A level computing for me was quite nice, I love to learn about it, and annoyingly despite the fact that I can recall most of the material over a year on, my exam technique was never very good for it and as a result, I got a grade I wasn't happy with.

I'm in A2 now about to complete the course, retaking an AS module to boost that C up a bit to hopefully a B, an A would be really good. The programming section of the course is really difficult to begin with, we were all thrown in there with no prior experience, and even at the end of the course I'm still at a very basic level with Java It is something which I feel they need to address for future students; spend more time actually learning code and doing exercises before they expect you to make a program with it. Story: We have a kid in our class who has got 100% on both pieces of coursework. The first piece was about HTML and an advised 20 slides. I did 20 slides and got 80% which was a high B. He did 120 slides. In A2 he stepped his game and for a course where 12k words was normal, he did.... 95,000 words. He produced a huge report which was beyond degree level and of course, 100%

We are all computer people, we spend a lot of time on here and for me, that makes it worthwhile to actually learn about the machine you are using, rather than being that basic level user. It gives you a generally better computer experience when you know roughly how something works, even in Windows, I've picked up knowledge; learning about primary and secondary storage devices, what disk defrag actually does etc.

If anyone ever needs computing help, feel free to ask me, or Gunstar as I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering questions either. I know of a lot of resources that were passed down by previous teachers that really helped me out.

Teach-ict is a good one for F451, it has interactive terminology quizzes which is so crucial, because the exam requires the definitions to be very precise.

If in the exam you have a 2 or 3 mark question and you're filling up the space, you're writing too much. Check the markscheme on past papers to see evidence of this.

Edited by Guest

just restart ur computer

lol, this is actually some very good advice, back in the old days, a simple restart solved a lot of problems!

I was the last year before comp science became mainstream at GCSE/A level sadly

CompSci at Cambridge Gunstar?

Yeah it was only recently it became so popular... like a few years ago, there were places open in clearing even in some of the top rusell group Unis for comp sci. Now it's like as popular as any other degree.

And No for the Cambridge question :P If I applied for oxbridge would have gone for oxford tbh... the lecture halls there are sexy as fuck! Also, did I tell you about my friend who got rejected from oxford even with A*A*A* prediction? He now holds a conditional offer from MIT lol.

I am trying my luck on UCL or Kings tbh, coz I wanna stay in london :P

Well I am in first year at a Compute Science degree and I've only learned Java and assembler(low-level language) I love programming and I can do the basic on Java (handle exceptions,strings,objects,text files,etc). On my next year I'll be taught data bases and more advanced aspects of Java. Do you know programming in any language?

btw, nice to see you're interested in computer science ^^

What? You are a uni student? I thought you were a bit younger no offence :P Java code looks the coolest imo! Although I only know vb.net and you are learning assembly language? LOL, tbh I will be doing that next year too so r.i.p me. Is it hard? And it seems you didn't read my whole post, I know and am learning Visual Basic. It's a easy language to learn tbh and is quite underrated in terms of its power. I want to learn java or C# in the future tho.

@Mintlou - Couldn't agree with you more. I am also retaking, actually retaking both of my AS-exams for computing, the theory I remember even now but the problem like you said was lack of practice in the prorgamming language, which I think could have been improved if students actually practiced outside of lessons without being forced or reminded to. Also, I do AQA but I have to say I had the worst of the worst experiences with OCR... terrible board I think.

Already have a degree in Computer Science, I can program in HTML/CSS and C# (Newer version of C++)

Besides that I am now studying at UNI for a degree in Business IT and Management which is a study to become an IT consultant.

It takes the economic side and the IT side of a company in one study to give advice to organisations with IT structure problems.

Next year will be my last year and then i'll probally be going from company to company giving advice on IT archtechture and also database designs etc.

Thing is I am good with computers but I hate the idea of sitting behind the computer the whole day solving IT problems, so I took this study so I would get more interaction with people without going out of my field of interest.

Already have a degree in Computer Science, I can program in HTML/CSS and C# (Newer version of C++)

Besides that I am now studying at UNI for a degree in Business IT and Management which is a study to become an IT consultant.

It takes the economic side and the IT side of a company in one study to give advice to organisations with IT structure problems.

Next year will be my last year and then i'll probally be going from company to company giving advice on IT archtechture and also database designs etc.

Thing is I am good with computers but I hate the idea of sitting behind the computer the whole day solving IT problems, so I took this study so I would get more interaction with people without going out of my field of interest.

Nice! So you will be working on a contract for companies. The place I did my work experience placement for had programmers and contracts and they get paid shit tonnes! Especially if you are a senior one. You said u can program in C# how long did it take you to learn the basics?

Also, database designs... I had to do that for my project this year, does it involve you giving advice on normalising the tables e.g 1st normal form, 2nd normal form, 3NF etc?

computer scientist also :D this looks so unfair it seems like you get pure ict related courses. i got philosphy, physics(with some chemistry and biology), normal math, some weird crazzy as math mixed with some databses and processorcalculation which i will prolly fuckup on exams, data structures and algorithms, and lastly javascript.

starting exams next week still have a shitload to do :(

computer scientist also :D this looks so unfair it seems like you get pure ict related courses. i got philosphy, physics(with some chemistry and biology), normal math, some weird crazzy as math mixed with some databses and processorcalculation which i will prolly fuckup on exams, data structures and algorithms, and lastly javascript.

starting exams next week still have a shitload to do :(

Yeah usually the comp sci courses at least a-level or below is mainly programming. I feel sorry for you ... philosophy, physics with chemistry? and BIOLOGY? lol rip.

What? You are a uni student? I thought you were a bit younger no offence :P Java code looks the coolest imo! Although I only know vb.net and you are learning assembly language? LOL, tbh I will be doing that next year too so r.i.p me. Is it hard? And it seems you didn't read my whole post, I know and am learning Visual Basic. It's a easy language to learn tbh and is quite underrated in terms of its power. I want to learn java or C# in the future tho.

hahaha No problem, my voice always sounds a bit childish, well, Java is nice, but according to a lot of people C++ is much better since it's more efficient than Java. Assembler can be hard but if you undersand it since the beginning it will be easy, it's like a high-level language but you have to be more specific with all instructions. Also I think the education system here in Spain is a bit different since at uni is my first time I am taught programming and also in the first quarter I only had a subject in which I was taught a bit about Java and assembler, on the second quarter I was taught Java, and in the subject I was supposed to learn assembler, I am taught how to design a MIPS 2000 processor and it's hard tbh xD.

Here's a link to the processor's data path picture if you're curious: http://gyazo.com/227afcfe4e567c9cc75d579fac6df2de

:O If I ever have a problem programming I won't think twice asking you hahaha

PS: Sorry, double post, I don't know how to delete it :(