Sign in to follow this  
Gunstar

OB Computer Scientists!

MEGA BUMP

So I just saw a thread suggesting a coding, etc section and made me remember about this thread. So I promised pics of what I'd do along the year and didn't post shit of the second half of the year so here it goes:

1. So in a subject we basically have to program a couple of things on arduinos and in the last project we had to use a speaker, a numeric keyboard, a couple of 7segment displays and 2 buttons.  The project consisted in making a game in which the code generated a random number and with the keyboard you have to guess the number (it follows a pattern so the odds are not disastrous) and the typical  stuff about: if you fail the speaker will make a sound, if you win, another sound, etc. I haven't got pics, but I'll post them laster.

EDIT, got a pic!

46ec19a5d7eff34d0201caf35f572061.jpg

2. In another subject we had to program database from the start (design it,  tabulate it, etc). I've only got pictures of the design:

bb7f6feeec95ee845c0b84932e29ae5a.png

3. Program a B+ binary tree. This is by far the hardest shit I've done so far. 800  hundred lines of code, but in a team of 6 people, so it isn't a complete suicide.

Sorry I didn't make a good screenshot but wanted to show as much code as possible:

aa5e1732d72a96cf305918a0bc982ce6.png

3. And for the end, as last project in another subject we had to program a linux shell copy in C. It may sound hard but it was kinda easy. Code screenshot:

The code is obsolete, I know /bin/ is useless and screws up the program.

64f56548d4589fa7a48f3b9f473ab04e.png

8a862bd90bc7acef885afb18f4401aec.png

Sorry for the long post. Have an AND door:

100px-AND_DIN.svg.png

Edited by Storm

Lmao, nice bump, so much cringe reading this thread which I made a year ago. I like your updates Storm, keep them up. C is very similar to Java it seems. I have almost finished my first year at Uni studying Computer Science, 1 more exam to go. I absolutely love it. Here is a shitty game I made for my mini project for one of the modules (Object-Oriented Programming) using Java:

bRsUR1L.png

Yeah, I stole ROTMG and WOW characters for my sprites because I was too lazy to make my own haha.

Wow, looks awesome! I tried something like  that last year but ended up in NullPointers and rage. Lots of rage. We haven't been  taught how to use images and that stuff yet, and doesn't look like we will :(

3 minutes ago, Storm said:

Wow, looks awesome! I tried something like  that last year but ended up in NullPointers and rage. Lots of rage. We haven't been  taught how to use images and that stuff yet, and doesn't look like we will :(

Thanks. But all you can do there is move the character using arrow keys and a pop-up box pops up when it detects your character touching the monster sprite. I would post the code but it's way too long and in classes:

b6ShMBE.png

As you can see, it's a mess, just like the spaghetti code inside each of those classes haha. 

I wasn't taught any graphics or how to make the game tbh, I learnt it from youtube tutorials in about an hour. They only required a text-based game where you just type stuff, but I was like nah man, a game needs some graphics.

Also to Mintlou, heard you passed your Microsoft exam, grats, would be nice if you tell us more about it here :2:

Sorry Storm, I cannot really see what you've written there, however I have written a binary tree in C++ so I think I can see some of the basic structure.

What library did you use for the graphics Gunstar?

Going to be starting my final year of university in September and I am currently trying to sort out what my final year project will be. Currently I'm going to be looking at automated 3D scene generation which I hope will be cool.

Doing coding at GCSE, currently just refining our task one and starting our task two. Don't know as much as some of the crazy computer scientist guys here, but I do try :D. Coding is lots of fun and quite interesting, and I'm trying to learn more, but mostly I just have fun making weird but simple codes. Made a code where you gave a number, and then listed every number up to that number, whilst playing "fizzbuzz", if anyone knows that game. Very simply, but I like it. ^^

I actually failed Computer Science at A-Level. Our project relied solely on C++ and i just couldn't grasp it. But i keep telling myself i should pick up some sort of coding.
Storm i'd be careful, that's a more convincing looking bomb than that Texan kid's science project clock.

3 hours ago, Daffy Duck said:

Coding is a GCSE now? damn 

I work in primary schools and a lot of IT lessons include Scratch. Some of the kids who's parents are in IT create some really impressive stuff.

Edited by Iszuka™

I did GCSE Computing, which was more about the concepts of how a computer functions. It introduced non-specific logic with pseudo code and flow charts.

A Level computing was a bit heavier on the coding side, we did Java which I knew well enough to pass the assignments.

It's much harder to learn coding when there's no reason to. School environments force you to learn stuff for a reason, and for something like programming, it's often the only motivation because nothing makes sense for a long time. You are just staring at ({[]]}{}i>== != <55 -INT) = 0.

16 minutes ago, Iszuka™ said:

Storm i'd be careful, that's a more convincing looking bomb than that Texan kid's science project clock.

Indeed! During making this circuit I had it on a tupperware and got on the bus. So the bus driver saw and said he wouldn't let me in with that. So I ended up taking another free bus. That was a good day.

Well, in class im busy with SQL server/MS access and arduino atm, and god, i hate arduino so much... Have to make a traffic lights setup, with a lane where only one car can pass, a pedestrian crossing working with the 8x8 led matrix and no use of delays, only for loops, and buttons that register if a ''car'' stands in front of a light. :( Delays make life so much easier. Actually not that hard to program, but i just hate the code.