Sign in to follow this  
Gunstar

OB Computer Scientists!

Hate to be a world class jerk, but this has been 5 pages of "mark topic read" for me

perhaps the next post could try and persuade me to read some of this

We are just getting started. The first few pages were just us getting to know each other and knowing ppl like sjnok and mclovin for such a long time and finding out they actually study the same subject as me was quite interesting.

Hopefully we can find more interesting topics soon.

Heh, i got a 'U' in Computer Science.

My brain just couldn't digest all the code we had to learn.

Were you doing A-Level or GCSE? At GCSE level we had to learn 0 code, just pseudocode.

To try to get the subject to be something more interesting, what is a recent computer related story/event/thing that you've enjoyed?

Mine would have to be the Let's Encrypt launch schedule, which was just released today :). Can't wait for the free SSL!

https://letsencrypt.org/2015/06/16/lets ... edule.html

Hate to be a world class jerk, but this has been 5 pages of "mark topic read" for me

perhaps the next post could try and persuade me to read some of this

I somewhat agree with you. I understand that we have many players who consider themselves computer scientists but this has turned into a "look fancy tech" thread rather than a real computer science thread, which would be hella boring, however since this is a computer science thread I'll ask a computer science question.

How many people have had experience using TCP to create a client and server?

I'm interested in making a TCP based multiplayer flying game with C# and XNA.

Limited experience using TCP.

• Your program must be able to cope with missing packets
  • C# is quite high level, so things like ordering should be done automatically.
  • Remember that if you send too many TCP packets, some routers block you (open packets can be used as a form of DOS)

For a game, it is one of your only options. To help, I would suggest using one of the numerous packages available to make TCP transfer simple.

Edited by Guest

Well as I said before I'm on my first years of the degree and the only language I've been taught is Java. Here have a method that finds a word within a Trie in Java: http://gyazo.com/56c8d858f4f8a8d6a60e2628f8ff01e0 xDD

I'd recommend having some kind of exit from your loop when you find your character.

Although I'm not a fan of your use of american style coding. I generally use

if (condition)

{

code;

}

Of course I'll be using a package to help, I believe it's called system.net

What I'll do is create a server that can run in two states;

- Playing state, which will get all the data from all the players then relay that back to them. For example player locations.

- Connection state, which will wait for players to join, effectively this is like a lobby.

Then I'll have a client which would work with it:

- Connecting to the lobby

- Sending and recieving data for the gameplay.

I had a look at this a little bit before and I had a few issues with the threads opening and not closing so I'll see what I can do.

Alright need some help guys...

How do I enter data from an external program onto a google doc spreadsheet [not a normal offline excel spreadsheet]?

What I want to do is to make a program which will let me type in data, say a name, then that name would be stored on the google spreadsheet. I am more interested in knowing if it's possible, any pieces of code I need to make it work and whether that code will have to be spreadsheet sided or program sided. I plan to use the VB.NET here if anyone was wondering.

Had a brief look around google but I think google didn't understand what I was trying to do.

(Somehow I only noticed this thread now and i spend a LOT of time here)

Well what I'm studying in college is a mix of computer science with electric engeneering but it still has s lot of computer science.

I've learnt C, a bit of C++, Java, a bit of MySQL , HTML and PHP. All of this in my first year of college. When I was on high school I learnt the basics of Java and Visual Basic but I forgot most part of it :p

I had good grades, 15 and 16 out of 20 to be exact which is pretty good in college. (75% fail even more depending on the subject). They could be higher but on the group project I had really bad grades because we always started a 2 months project 1 or 2 days before the deadline and thus it lowered my final grades.

I had a funny situation tho. In the second semester(our college year here in Portugal is split into 2 semesters where we have different subjects) I had to learn to program C, HTML, Java and PHP on Linux in which we had to use a console to do pretty much everthing except the actual code. I skipped a bunch of classes because I thought it was easy but then when I started to study it I realised how complicated it was. I went to the exam without knowing pretty much anything about the new stuff we had on Linux that was different from Windows. After doing it I thought I wouldn't pass.. I ended up having an 18/20. I still wonder HOW lmao :grin1:

Anyway, I'm gonna start my second year on the 14th and there's nothing special that I want to learn I just want to know at least a bit of everything.

But, what I really like to do is video editing. Fragmovies and stuff like that. I used to do it on my old PC , I did COD4 and Soldier Front fragmovies using Vegas Pro and AAE but with my current PC it's impossible because I can't even record due to low fps. I'm gonna get a new one soon and hopefully get back to editing. I'll even do some JB videos with clips from the server :D

Didn't think I would type so much and sorry for any typos but it's 4 am ;)

It's fine Blyss, that's the reason I made this thread, since everyone in OB is so passionate about Computer Science, they can't help themselves but write so much [look at all the intro posts lol]. Anyway, that's very good to know so many languages, I'm sure it will come helpful when needed.

I personally only know VB.NET but at UNI we will be doing JAVA but I didn't have the chance to look at it yet :cry:

How did you find the transition between vb and java? What were the similarities/differences?

Btw Still waiting for someone to help me with my previous post :cry1:

So this is what I'm going to do in the practical sessions of a subject (Computer Structure). Program a motherboard in assembly:

2322628a5121c706d1cf5caaaf111c53.jpg

038284e597fe486db1b60470e399da01.jpg

92e7ea4b4d748d677dd226b5cddb1381.jpg

I will probably post more things as the year goes on since there are a lot of interesting things haha

It's fine Blyss, that's the reason I made this thread, since everyone in OB is so passionate about Computer Science, they can't help themselves but write so much [look at all the intro posts lol]. Anyway, that's very good to know so many languages, I'm sure it will come helpful when needed.

I personally only know VB.NET but at UNI we will be doing JAVA but I didn't have the chance to look at it yet :cry:

How did you find the transition between vb and java? What were the similarities/differences?

Btw Still waiting for someone to help me with my previous post :cry1:

I used java to a bigger extent as in VB I only did basic stuff. They are very different languages but I prefered Java, seems more complete and acessible at least imo. You'll like it for sure.

About your previous post can't really help you sorry :grin1: