Sign in to follow this  
Gunstar

OB Computer Scientists!

So this is what I'm going to do in the practical sessions of a subject (Computer Structure). Program a motherboard in assembly:

2322628a5121c706d1cf5caaaf111c53.jpg

038284e597fe486db1b60470e399da01.jpg

92e7ea4b4d748d677dd226b5cddb1381.jpg

I will probably post more things as the year goes on since there are a lot of interesting things haha

That sounds awesome, I looked at assembly language and I really didn't get on with it. Perhaps I'll go back to it one day but having to understand the theory behind the logic gates then creating logic structures from that to eventually get to assembly language was a pain for me.

Indeed, I think this subject is going to be the hardest for me haha, the previous year I had a similar subject and it was also the hardest, so pray for me :cry1:

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll start off with some basic programming, general technical overviews and then finish off with something more specific to what you're interested in.

As someone who now works in a software company I recommend really paying attention to programming and databases because they're key to what a software developer uses.

Yep, this just might work. Thanks!

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll start off with some basic programming, general technical overviews and then finish off with something more specific to what you're interested in.

As someone who now works in a software company I recommend really paying attention to programming and databases because they're key to what a software developer uses.

Thanks for the words skeff, I just feel like being a programmer is high work, less pay than some of the other professions, which kinda puts me off. Also I knew databases would come in Handy at some point, I had to use databases and programming for my A-level project from which I learnt a fair bit of the basics. Below is the Structure of my course...

Year 1 Modules

Semester 1

ECS401U Procedural Programming (15 credits) - Looks Good

ECS402U Professional and Research Themes (15 credits) - EUGHH

ECS404U Computer Systems and Networks (15 credits) - Hate This

ECS407U Logic and Discrete Structures (15 credits)

Semester 2

ECS414U Object Oriented Programming (15 credits)

ECS417U Fundamentals of Web Technology (15 credits)

ECS419U Information Systems Analysis (15 credits)

ECS421U Automata and Formal Languages (15 credits)

Semester 1 and 2

ECS422U Skills for Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (non-credit bearing module)

I know this thread is old and it's been unactive for a while. But I don't want to create another thread for what I'm going to post.

Today I found a way of teaching young people or just people who want to have fun programming with Java.

It's basically a Minecraft minigame in which you place the instructions for what you want Steve (Minecraft character) to do.

The page is this one: https://studio.code.org/s/mc/stage/1/puzzle/1

It's very fun, and since I study Java in uni, I found it even funnier hahah. Hope you have fun and learn something!

Just started my Computer Science GCSE in Year 10. The only language I really know is Python, and I enjoy writing scripts for gathering and analysing data. Hate documenting/commenting my code though, so if I don't finish something within a week then I'll probably forget how it worked and restart it from scratch.

Commenting code can be strange when you first start but you later learn how to write self commenting code so you rarely use it later on.

Also documentation can be good however outside of academic use it is only really used as a guide for control based code, for example the documentation on how to use Unity. That being said it's always good to have an idea of what you're doing with your code and something to look back on to understand it after you've not touched it for a while.

Currently working on various webpages at work, a few are financial related which will look great on my CV. I've been told that next week I'll be able to help out with some more of the backend controls for the webpages that we use so that should be fun.

It's basically a Minecraft minigame in which you place the instructions for what you want Steve (Minecraft character) to do.

The page is this one: https://studio.code.org/s/mc/stage/1/puzzle/1

It's very fun, and since I study Java in uni, I found it even funnier hahah. Hope you have fun and learn something!

I would definitely make a project like that If I had to (coding behind whats making the blocks work, like "turn right" and the map and character models/movement, not just placing the blocks around), reminds me of Scratch, anyone else? haha.

I guess it makes you think like a programmer, will be fun for the younger CompScis

Update to my status atm: I am learning Java at Uni after using VB.NET and I have to say it was really easy to transition because coding is not about learning the language but learning how it works, e.g loops/if statements. So don't worry too much about what programming language u start with, just go with whatever is most convenient for you if you are starting out. I know I didn't know what language to learn at first.

I'm currently working on all the Python code snippets ever, most of them trying to do something in as few characters as possible (gist). It's quite a fun competition to do and I would recommend you all doing it! Although it does make future code you write look far worse, it teaches you amazing new things you can do with your language that otherwise you would never learn.

Two of my favourite places to do it at is CodeGolf.StackExchange and CodinGame. Currently 18th in the world at the latter, showing how little a life I really have. (If any of you want to play it with me, do message, it can be fun with friends <3).

fluxy gtfo, this is for computer scientists ¬¬

Also, very interesting sites Popey, for those times I've already done what I have to program, visiting those sites can be fun. Thanks for sharing!

Update to my status atm: I am learning Java at Uni after using VB.NET and I have to say it was really easy to transition because coding is not about learning the language but learning how it works, e.g loops/if statements. So don't worry too much about what programming language u start with, just go with whatever is most convenient for you if you are starting out. I know I didn't know what language to learn at first.

You are so right in that. Once you know like the basics of programming (start thinking as a programmer) and know what you should be able to do and not to do (syntax between C++ and Java (for example)is very similar) you shouldn't have any problem at all learning different languages.