Sign in to follow this  
Allen Snider

Community member of the week

This would not be fair as like Sony said he would win every week. :mrgreen:

It's why i suggested the candidates be shortlisted for their recent good deeds.

You need to do something for the community every week/month to be shortlisted.

Hmmm yeah I get what your saying but Sony would still win. :mrgreen:

members/regulars can nominate other members of the community, and give their reason why.

I think there would be a more definate answer if it were mods+ who made nominations, and then the communnity voted.

I think mod+ would be limiting the competition though, even though limiting it to members+ could work. Again, just my humble opinion.

I think mod+ would be limiting the competition though,

My only concern is how members would decide what constitutes as a 'good deed'.

Members might say "Gibby was nice to me today for a change, I think he deserves a medal and over9000 creds"

Where as a mod+ can justify/aknowledge a genuine moment a member has helped the community by say, organising an event maybe, or donating frequently.

I think mod+ would be limiting the competition though,

My only concern is how members would decide what constitutes as a 'good deed'.

Members might say "Gibby was nice to me today for a change, I think he deserves a medal and over9000 creds"

Where as a mod+ can justify/aknowledge a genuine moment a member has helped the community by say, organising an event maybe, or donating frequently.

This is my fear aswell. You can easily avoid this by stating that it's only the mods and above that can nominate people/select people, but I believe you should keep the "community voting on the shortlisted people" part.

With this all being said, I think the runners up should also receive some sort of prize.

If someone's good enough to make the short list it's fair to say whatever they did deserves some recognition.

Actually that poses a new question.

Did the winner of the vote actually do a better job than everyone else? Are the runners up inferior in any way?

Maybe in that regard, it would be simpler and more appropriate for the management to bring it up in the weekly/monthly meeting and decide by themselves.

Actually that poses a new question.

Did the winner of the vote actually do a better job than everyone else? Are the runners up inferior in any way?

Maybe in that regard, it would be simpler and more appropriate for the management to bring it up in the weekly/monthly meeting and decide by themselves.

Leaving the job entirely in the mods' hands isn't a bad idea, it could actually be abit more fair tbh, but by doing so, I think you take the fun out of the original idea, sort of ( not that it's a bad thing)

I still believe that, either the members shortlist people and the mods decide, or the mods shortlist people and the members decide, the latter being my favorite option. This prevents people getting nominated, just because they did a MLG 360 NOSCOPE {GONE SEXUAL} ace on jb, but they actually get nominated because they contributed to the community somehow

I agree that runners up may get a prize aswell

Sand dunes? Sure! I got a fine collection of them. ;)

Tbh i wouldn't waste too much on runner ups. If in some way they have other "abilities" that were better than the winner, then maybe it could be considered. But all together i don't really think this would work. Imo, it's too much hassle to sort out.

he who has most dinos shall be crowned victorious

How would you take into account size though, Fluxy? Surely t-rex is not same as baby raptor?

Though seriously, we briefly discussed this in the admin meeting and the general consensus was that it wouldn't work despite its good intentions. Although I liked the original concept of having the community try be better to work for a prize or something, if you have the community vote/decide then it would be a blatant popularity test as already mentioned and if you restrict who can decide (say admin+) all it will end up is people putting on a mask, rim licking and being someone they are not in front of those who decide while being themselves in front of everyone else. I know (as an admin+) that I hate it when people act differently around me just because of a rank, I want to know and get on with the people for who they actually are as much as anyone else.

Furthermore, there will always be disagreement and drama out of the decision - someone who will say 'why did he/she get it?' or 'why didn't he/she get it?', which will just cause negativity. Being that there are so many members/regulars, there will always be someone who takes it the wrong way.

I hate to be the one to shut down an idea, but as you've been discussing it already you can probably understand the reasons against it. As members/vets you are expected to represent us and have a good attitude regardless, and going out of your way to contribute extra towards the community would be one of the qualities we'd look at for someone who wants to eventually become a mod (and I mean genuine contribution, but that's for another time).

tl;dr - Don't think this will work for now, sorry.

I think this will cause more friction than fun.

It will be a case of 'who's liked the most this week'. No one will be happy with the outcome, no amount of justification will satisfy everyone and people will start making assumptions about favouritism and ass licking.

Plus, Sony would always win.