Sign in to follow this  
Doomblade94

Idea to Prevent Grave Digging

We've all done it, and we've all seen others do it; players posting new replies in threads that have been inactive for x amount of time. It's heavily frowned upon in all communities and they all have that problem. I've looked around on the forums here and haven't seen this suggestion made, so I thought I'd just throw it out there for consideration on how to prevent grave digging in the future.

Suggestion: Auto Lock

Implement some coding that monitors the number of days since the last post in any given thread. When a certain number of days is passed, the thread is automatically locked.

Again, I'm just throwing this idea out there because I haven't seen it suggested yet and think it might be a little food for thought. If you don't like this idea I understand. If this idea HAS been suggested before, I'd like to just put it out for the record that I did several advanced searches for the SnQ board with the following key words:

lock threads, auto lock threads, autolock, dead threads, old threads, necro posting, gravedigging.

Forgive me for being blind/ignorant, but why is this a problem?

If a topic is relevant and already has a lot of useful replies, why should a new thread be made just because the old one is X days old?

I understand it's frowned upon and it's always been basic forum netiquette, but why? Why is it frowned upon to bring a thread back to life?

No need for any thread in the forums to be re bumped, say, 1 year later.

Okay this I can understand. A lot can change in a year and I think it's safe to say a new thread would be warranted after a whole year's passed.

Forgive me for being blind/ignorant, but why is this a problem?

If a topic is relevant and already has a lot of useful replies, why should a new thread be made just because the old one is X days old?

I understand it's frowned upon and it's always been basic forum netiquette, but why? Why is it frowned upon to bring a thread back to life?

No need for any thread in the forums to be re bumped, say, 1 year later.

Okay this I can understand. A lot can change in a year and I think it's safe to say a new thread would be warranted after a whole year's passed.

I think the main gripe is with introduction threads. Someone might (unwittingly) bump a relatively old intro thread from however long ago and others might be a bit too dopey to realise the dates and write on it anyway. So, therefore, someone who wrote an intro thread back in February might still be getting welcome messages.

Who cares?

If a new guy comes on and bumps a thread, then they are the idiot. If an old guy bumps a thread then they've usually done it for a reason, or they're an idiot.

Common sense people.

Truth. Giving people the opportunity to pointlessly bump old friends help us figure out who is retarded and most worthy of a concerted bullying campaign/just being spotted as an idiot.

Pls keep the bumps.

Implementing this on the new forums would be facile. They even have hooks for those things.

If the forums work as I currently expect, with a SQL database, then I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done with these old ones too. Simply create a schedule task which locks threads that have certain conditions such as in the introduction section & are older than 2 weeks.

Implementing this on the new forums would be facile. They even have hooks for those things.

If the forums work as I currently expect, with a SQL database, then I can't see any reason why it couldn't be done with these old ones too. Simply create a schedule task which locks threads that have certain conditions such as in the introduction section & are older than 2 weeks.

Presumably, yes, but I would be hesitant to create such a thing for the old forums when they are likely to get removed in under a month.

Presumably, yes, but I would be hesitant to create such a thing for the old forums when they are likely to get removed in under a month.

Agreed. I wouldn't spend time working on something that gets scrapped so quickly unless $$$ but even with $$$ I would have lack of motivation.