Sign in to follow this  
Lewis

My Rant on Syria

Don't know how bombing Syria will stop attacks in Europe from happening, two of the attackers in Paris were French Nationals. When the bombing kills civilians in Syria all it will do is increase the likelihood of those affected becoming radicalised. As fluxy has said, Russia and the US have failed to bring calm to the middle east for the past 3 decades, doing the same thing over and over again will do nothing but make the situation worse. ISIS wants the West divided into supporters and those they will target. Religion is the basis (or excuse) people hide behind a lot of the time to commit atrocities, so im suggesting we kill all the religious people and the gays, because it isnt allowed in the bible, starting with sony

it'll be high secret operations, striking on known locations of IS military points. Just like Osama Bin Laden I suppose, if you believe it of course.

Just a couple weeks ago the U.S. bombed a civilian hospital, killing 100s of innocent people. Clearly it's not as sophisticated as you think it is. We don't know what exactly is being bombed and how many other civilians are being killed.

that's the US, worldwide they are known for their fuck ups on an international scale

read the short bit I said about russia at the end

As for the few of you who came up with actual solutions

Of course domestically the threat of IS needs to be addressed, internal complexities are just as important as external matters.

However, in a situation like this - the people in Paris, possibly in London - have adopted their values from IS IN Syria, they come FROM Syria.

It comes back to the issue of dealing with the fundamental problem rather than getting rid of side effects. You develop a serious illness, your priorities aren't to get rid of the cough or the sore back it has, your priority is to tackle the root.

Therefore, I can compromise with your thoughts, but what if by some miracle we get rid of every terrorist in this country, then the next load of them comes in. Then the next?

There is a reason over 60% of the MPs who represent the entirety of this country voted for this.

It comes back to the issue of dealing with the fundamental problem rather than getting rid of side effects. You develop a serious illness, your priorities aren't to get rid of the cough or the sore back it has, your priority is to tackle the root.

ISIS is to a disease as bombing is to radiotherapy. It will not stop the side affects, there will be attacks in other countries to come.

There is a reason over 60% of the MPs who represent the entirety of this country voted for this.

I would argue that the Conservative government wants to spend as much money as possible, to justify cutting benefits more and not raising taxes. That is speculation though, austerity is an economy killer, any serious economist knows this, Cameron and all the other PPE Tories have degrees in this shit.

An actual solution

tried_nothing.png

Still looking for your solution...

Doing nothing is not a solution, but showing ISIS that they can actually get away with murdering hundreds of innocent people. Will this idea make them complacent? Will they keep on going to see how far they will push us, if that happens then military action is inevitable, so we might as well flush them out sooner rather than later

@Fluxy

We can only reason and educate those who are willing, I believe that if someone wants to jet off to Syria to join the cause, then that should be a one-way ticket if there is ANY suspicion that they're meeting with members of ISIS. In other words, don't let them back. Take their passports away. This includes young people who have been brainwashed. There are far more people who think that ISIS is bad enough to try and talk some sense into them. If they want to join the cause, it's their wasted choice/effort.

Educating people at the moment isn't going to help much at this point, you have to deal with the current crisis and THEN you can start the talks about counter-terrorism to prevent further affairs. In all honesty don't you think that the current school systems try hard enough to raise students into worthy young adults? Teachers work really hard all over the country to do this by default, so pouring more money into this isn't necessarily a fix at this time.

I'm not sure where to stand tbh

but what I do know is that I'm not a military strategist, or someone involved in foreign affairs, etc

this is what was voted on and I hope it works out as well as it can

not gonna go up in arms on facebook about my opinion because frankly it doesn't matter

This is the smartest thing I have ever heard you say. :mrgreen:

An actual solution

tried_nothing.png

Still looking for your solution...

Doing nothing is not a solution, but showing ISIS that they can actually get away with murdering hundreds of innocent people. Will this idea make them complacent? Will they keep on going to see how far they will push us, if that happens then military action is inevitable, so we might as well flush them out sooner rather than later

@Fluxy

We can only reason and educate those who are willing, I believe that if someone wants to jet off to Syria to join the cause, then that should be a one-way ticket if there is ANY suspicion that they're meeting with members of ISIS. In other words, don't let them back. Take their passports away. This includes young people who have been brainwashed. There are far more people who think that ISIS is bad enough to try and talk some sense into them. If they want to join the cause, it's their wasted choice/effort.

Educating people at the moment isn't going to help much at this point, you have to deal with the current crisis and THEN you can start the talks about counter-terrorism to prevent further affairs. In all honesty don't you think that the current school systems try hard enough to raise students into worthy young adults? Teachers work really hard all over the country to do this by default, so pouring more money into this isn't necessarily a fix at this time.

The UN should occupy Syria, all of it, Assad needs to fuck off.

BRO???

ALSO just an interesting side note 53/56 SNPs voted against bombing syria. One could say, as a country Scotland wanted to stay out, and had we been independent we could have done. As it stands the country is dragged into a war yet again by people it didnt vote for. The conservatives have ONE seat in Scotland and still they get to decide what happens to us. Fucks me off tbh.

Haha Fluxy, that gets your blood to the boil. There are loads of people who disagree with the "first past the post" system. unfortunately the only guys who have the main power to change that are always the ones in power... :arrow: :arrow: :?: :arrow: :arrow:

I just don't really think that bombing all the time is the solution. It has never worked (I know thanks to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan surrendered in WWII, dw). And they kill a lot more civilians than terrorists, so in the end, it's just like a childish battle between who is more annoying. There's no way you can bomb a country and say you will end terrorism (or Daesh in this case) since terrorism isn't located in one country, they're all over the world, and even if they manage to kill the leader or something, another will pop up. Maybe other solutions should be tried (I don't know which other solutions could exist, but we need them) due to the fact that bombing, obviously, isn't working. I've always wondered who has caused more civilians deaths, Daesh or those countries who keep bombing like mongs.

Bombing was successful in ending both the Nazi regime and the Japs in WW2 -but admittedly they were whole countries, IS is an 'underground' organisation, very hard to bring down, it's complicated for sure.

Still agree with the strikes though. The way I see it, it's simply an expansion on policy regarding them.

We already are trying extremely hard to prevent this stuff happening domestically, it's not like we need to say fuck it to external matters and start doing stuff at home. Ever since 9/11 and the 2005 London bombings security has been really tight. Sniffer dogs searching for explosives, police everywhere at important events, immigration control tightened hard. All to prevent terrorist attacks or terrorists entering the country.

The way I see it is they've made this decision to tackle the root of the problem like I mentioned earlier.

The more you kill outside of the UK, the less can come into the UK.

Killing or capturing 5 IS terrorists INSIDE the UK is probably as hard as killing 100 of them in Syria, where they're primarily located.

This is guerrilla warfare, nothing like WW2. It is extremely difficult to win a war against someone fighting as such, on their home turf as seen in Vietnam, Libya, Afghanistan, and Iraq. We can't win this war simply by bombing. Therefore boots need to be deployed on the ground to effectively defeat IS. Now, this is of course not a viable solution as it will make the conflict even more complex and endanger the lives of many more people and even if we successfully get rid of IS, the region is still HUGLY unstable. As soon as we decide to leave (which is what happened in Iraq) a new terrorist group will form and the region will continue to be an area of violence and struggle over control. Not to mention it has now become impossible to get rid of Assad due to Russia and Iran backing him.

Like I said previously bombing IS will not only hurts innocent civilians, but also increase the recruitment pool for ISIS. This is because the bombing of innocent civilians makes the west look like the bad guys in the region, and will encourage the people affected by these air strikes to join IS and the fight against the west.

Bombing is not going to solve anything, but rather create more problems. Leave it be and focus on domestic issues.

Edited by Guest

“Strikes on Isis are a trap” - ex-hostage Nicolas Henin

Doing nothing is not a solution but at the same time neither is bombing Syria, I'm completely against the airstrikes as it is just not a real solution.

But an air raid could also kill 100 suicide bombers, saving 100,000 people's lives.

The main factor is that striking ISIS could produce a more radical response from them. Better to attack now and damage them hard before they attack us though.

Look if you kill people in the airstrikes, even if it's the 'right people', new jihadists just spout up which have the same/similar ideas. The problem with airstrikes is not about killing the people, it's that we give them reasons to not to believe in their ideologies. Rather than killing people, we need to 'kill' their ideology and that is a much harder thing to do (but its what we should do all the same). Saying let's just run airstrikes (the stupid thing) which is counter-productive and 'creates' more terrorists. By bombing Syria it just helps ISIS by driving the local people/civilians in to the hands of Isis (the group who aren't bombing them) and causing them to support such a group. We need to stop the bombing and have real peace talks which include all Syrian parties with support of the international community. We need to show Syrians that we aren't the menace ISIS are making the 'West' out to be.

Also I do love in the video above where Nicolas Henin said "the summer refugee crisis had been a propaganda blow to Isis. Images of refugees fleeing the Muslim 'dreamland' and being welcomed in the lands of the 'unbelievers' had given a lie to their message of western hatred towards Muslims." Another video I've watch about Syria and the refugee crisis is this: