Sign in to follow this  
Daffy Duck

Road rage driver avoids charge in Birmingham

So some of you may have seen this article this morning:

Stephen Perrin was dragged off his bike and battered by a white van driver, who shouted and swore at him as he rained down blows on him, after he was cycling in Birmingham.

But despite Mr Perrin capturing the entire incident – which took place yards from Moseley police station - on his helmet camera, police said their hands were tied and the most they could do was give the driver a caution.

Gold medal-winning cyclist Chris Boardman saw the footage and posted it on Twitter to his 80,000 followers, with the message “Get Britain cycling:? There's a lot to do when @wmpolice think it's okay NOT to charge/warn 4 this."

Mr Boardman was head of research and development for GB cycling during the London Olympics and was the 1992 Olympic Individual Pursuit Champion. Since his post the video has since gone viral and provoked outrage among the cycling community. Eyewitness Jamie Yapp, 29, from Moseley said: "It was a very brutal and unprovoked attack so I am very surprised to hear the guy has got away with it. The driver went mad and kept punching the cyclist. He was very angry - a case of small man syndrome if you ask me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ttack.html

(video of the incident on the website, although telegraph doesn't show the entire clip)

full clip is on: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... =2&theater

In my opinion, I think that the cyclist could have allowed the driver more room but it's still in-excusable for the absolutely disgusting way he reacted.

Not to mention when he abruptly stopped in the middle of the road. It was an impulsive decision at that part which may have possibly lead to the rider (or even a motorist behind, if there was one) being injured.

I fucking hate cyclists

Why?

Why do you hate cyclists? It is very easy for a driver to sit in their car seats and easily overlook cyclists and instantly disregard them just because they are on a bike.

You only hate cyclists if you aren't one of them. Sure some of them make mistakes, but driving these days requires everyone to be alert to everyone else.

I'm a cyclist... until I can drive. :lol:

When you can drive, you'll hate cyclists too. They constantly take any oppertunity to try get ahead of everyone else, they come up to red lights, hop off their bike and walk it around the corner, they're just super self involved

what a fucking dickhead, people need to chill out. Ok cyclists fuck people off because they think the highway code dosent apply to them and they can do what they want but nothing warrants that short of behaviour

I really don't like cyclists either. One of them was in front of me and the momma on the way home from town, he tried to cycle around her to get in front of her - she didn't see him, slowed down for a red light and he almost hit the back of our car.

Next minute, he's hopped off the bike, came round the side of the car, started hammering on my passenger door, calling my own mother a "stupid cow" and shit.

I got mad, tried to get out, she stopped me. Tbh, he would've probably battered me (he was shorter but much more stocky), but it was one of those rare moments where i was actually angry enough to ignore how big he was.

Another case of small man syndrome :|

TL;DR Cyclist almost hits car, blames mother, gets mad, acts like a twat

She just held my arm and told me she really didn't want me to go out, drove off as quickly as she could.

She's usually the voice of reason when i'm irrationally upset or annoyed, so i'm used to listening to her.

I don't often get genuinely angry, but it was one of those hulk out moments.

Amsterdam has more than adequate inclusions for cyclists, which is brilliant. The UK does not have that same luxury, and although it's courteous to be polite to cyclists (and of course be cautious for their safety), there is a major attitude problem within the community. If you watch more of the beaten up guy's videos you will see that there are issues on both sides. He himself is a belligerent cyclist, often riding in the middle of the lane when he should move over to let someone pass as there is more than enough room, he causes a lot of the situations he finds himself in and is too proud to admit blame, instead sounding his horn and becoming aggressive. Often there are real issues with people's driving, cutting in too sharply, not giving enough room, overtaking in dangerous places etc, but bad cyclists are in abundance.

On a more personal level there are plenty of times when I see cyclists acting like idiots on the road, for example on one stretch where I live there is a raised cycle path all the way along a winding country lane and I frequently come across cyclists using the road rather than the lane provided for them, putting themselves and other road users in danger.

If you wanna be a cyclists without the hate move to Denmark they got em' special cyclist lanes that people walking can't even cross. Well at least last time i went there i almost got beaten up by one of em' cyclists for getting out of a car next to the lane.