Sign in to follow this  
gaffeR

Tattoos? Like? Dont like? Have one? Want one?

If I got one (which sometimes I really want one and sometimes I don't) then it would be something simple like an iconic quote on my arm or whatever.

like "Raze be good apologies to professor thats not cool" or "gibe moni pls"

You say it is not wise to judge a book on its cover. However most books are bought based on how their cover looks like. And the same goes for Jobs or the first impression your giving people by having a tattoo.

In a job interview it is all about first impression and having a tattoo does not help at all. (Obviously it depends on what kind of job the interview is held for.)

I study Bussiness IT and Management, and I am basicly being educated into an IT Consultant. Being a consultant means that you have to talk alot with people. And we learn tricks in our study that helps us twist people's mind. Change management you could say. But we also learn about human behaviour. If there is one thing I have learned from all these lessons that is that the first impression is more important then anything.

All I am trying to say is a little tattoo can make a huge difference and for some jobs it is better to have none.

Do not get me wrong though it is completely up to you to get a tatto and I fully respect that. Better yet I once wanted a tattoo on my shoulder. But when I think back and think of the future I am glad I have not.

This is what im saying mclovin, you go to a job interview, why should you instantly get judged because of a tattoo.

You could pick up a book with a plain cover, and it could be the best read you have ever picked up.

You could have a job interview and they may not pick you because you have a tattoo, but that person could be so good at what ever it is he/she is being interview'd for, an not pick them because they have a piece of art on their skin.

Dont get me wrong, i totally understand what you said, but i think its time for change?

and im glad i put this up :D

Unfortunately thats just the way things go. Ignoring the way society works is not a smart thing to do. I am not saying the way it works currently is ideal not at all. I mean did you know that pretty women and good looking men have a better chance aswell? That is just plain stupid however it is true. In the end it is all about what the person who interviews you thinks about you. And the truth is that currently tattoos dont give a good image.

And the truth is that currently tattoos dont give a good image.

Need I say anything?

I don't like tattoos, instantly unappealing, especially those who cover themselves with them. Makes people look a little sketchy and out of place, like in a suit for a job interview for example.

tattoos, as an art are good. and i think small ones can be quite cool. but big tattoos arent too nice to see, especially people get get full body ones (sorry im not a fan of your arm).

personally i doubt i'd ever get one but if i did it'd just be something small

Makes people look a little sketchy and out of place, like in a suit for a job interview for example.

I don't think I look sketchy wearing a suit. And McLovin does have a fair point, especially within professions (like consultancy, for instance), but you could always wear a long-sleeved shirt. If you place tattoos tactically, your employer need never know you have one. ;) As I say, they aren't for me, but there definitely is a way to do them. Just do NOT get one on your hand or face or neck: it's too obvious.

And yeah, again, McLovin' has a fair point: the preoccupation with appearances is sad but it's inevitable. You instinctively prefer attractive people and associate with them positive qualities. Someone scientific could explain it properly, but t's all to do with how healthy you were whilst still in the womb. As for tattoos, they only leave a potentially bad (or at least unconventional) impression because of how our social norms have evolved.

Also, I liked the maori gecko, Gaz. It looks less aggressive somehow.

tl;dr sadly tattoos can hinder your chances of landing a job, but you can hide them. It's not fair but it's how it is. Gaz, your tattoo: awesome.