Sign in to follow this  
Iszuka™

Post count / Post rate

Hey guys, this has been in the back of my mind for a while so i thought i'd just shed a little light on the theory i have.

First of all, does a high forum post count grant you any sort of social worth? Are you more respected by our members because you have a high post count?

If you'd be lead to believe most people do think that way, is it right? Should your post count ultimately warrant more respect from the community? It might give users an idea of how long another user has been around, but does it really show what they bring to the community?

I bring this up with the hypothesis that people specifically aiming for a high post count, are under the impression they will be more respected within the community.

And again with that in mind, this might drive users to shitpost more often than they post legit content.

Now i think i mentioned ages back in some other thread that it might be an interesting idea to implement a more accurate post rating system. I know currently we have name tags like "Imprisoned for Life" and "Outbreak God" that i believe are tied to the variable 'Posts per day'.

This i believe is a more accurate representation of a user's commitment to the community. Yes shitposting can still effect this rating, but a user would need to be consistently making posts to keep their rank and i'm certain that won't go unnoticed for long. Whereas a person can accumulate a large post count over a greater period of time by shitposting and almost go unnoticed.

To summarize, i'm beginning to notice more shitposts recently and i'm betting that people who shitpost the most are just doing it for the +1 post count.

Is it a problem worth addressing?

How about we have a rating system, akin to something like Reddit? Valuable posts get 1up's and shitposts get buried, never to be seen again. Some forums have reputation points. Users commend other users on their valuable posts and it's displayed alongside their username and avatar.

tl;dr: Shitposting. Worse than global warming? Discuss.

Edit: This is my 666th post and i'm not sure how i feel about that number.

I think the name tags are actually linked to total post count rather than posts per day, but whatever

I feel like shitposting can be very annoying to deal with, when you're trying to start/have a proper discussion in a thread, but it's not like it ruins my day completely

As for ideas to prevent shitposting, I'm not sure if there exists any easy answers. Posts per day can still be skewed, although people can get the reputation that they are notorious shitposters, if they continue to do so, and introducing something like a upvote/downvote system, could just lead to people downvoting posts "just for the lolz"

Edited by Guest

If you're new to a forum, you would have no idea what shitposting is, (see my postcount) but what annoys me is that you get people who integrate well and actually have a chance of member or mod, but throw it away because of writing '+1 dick' or something stupid.

If people cracked down harder on shitposting, then we wouldn't have a problem.

And it seems to give you a sort of veteran status if you have high post count, but that's beside the point.

I think the name tags are actually linked to total post count rather than posts per day, but whatever

This. I'm not sure the actual figures, but it isn't at all related to your posts by day, instead to your total post count.

On the topic of post quality, a surprising amount of threads do go to our "spam bin" for not bringing quality content to the forums or deleted (if they are posts instead of threads). We have been trying to get the quality to increase over the past few months.

Do note that we basically never look at post count when evaluating a users potential for member, rather we evaluate the content they're posting and so definitely if they're posting things like "+1 dick", it won't help their case.

How about we have a rating system, akin to something like Reddit? Valuable posts get 1up's and shitposts get buried, never to be seen again. Some forums have reputation points. Users commend other users on their valuable posts and it's displayed alongside their username and avatar.

This is actually being implemented in the new forums! Which is currently being tested over here: [redacted, apparently members only]

This is actually being implemented in the new forums! Which is currently being tested over here: [redacted, apparently members only]

mate ill giv u half a key if u giv me de linkszz

On a more serious note, making the upvote/downvote system available to members only is definitely a great way to implement it, since it removes the toxicity that regulars can bring from time to time

Not that members can't be toxic as well, but in my experience so far on the forums, the regulars are responsible for (maybe?) 80-85% of the shitposts, but I think the more likely a group is to shitpost, the more likely the group is to abuse the upvote/downvote system

Not that members can't be toxic as well, but in my experience so far on the forums, the regulars are responsible for (maybe?) 80-85% of the shitposts, but I think the more likely a group is to shitpost, the more likely the group is to abuse the upvote/downvote system

This.

Look to the member apps, regulars are posting in it all the way, and why? Their vote has arounds zero value. I've seen it so many times that regulars should not vote on apps, but they keep doing it.

But, i've never seen a forum with only constructive posts that is active. Shitposts can be fun too, but there must be a limit somewhere.

People in this community get respect for what they post and not by how much. It really depends on how you are as a person, it is a forum after all, a social place... So I guess the same rules apply here as they do on TS, you'll often find that shitposters are the annoying TS people too.

Shitposters are known and are subtly disrespected from time to time.

It's a balance of quality and quantity. I'd much rather people do 1 good post a day then 5 shitposts. Unfortunately people see forum activity as a requirement for member and they force out some real shit. That being said the thing that annoys me more is when they try to make a meaningful thread which has no relevance or context, it's a horrible disguise for shitposts.

As for the rating system it is all based on total postcount so it doesn't force people to keep posting to keep their rank however it does encourage people to post a lot. I don't think a reddit style system would work because shitvotes would then become an issue, especially in a small community like ours.

Personally I think the players who are shitposting will burnout and leave and the people making good posts will eventually accumulate a good postcount and get respect from being around for so long. Everyone has a fair share of shitposts however if most of your posts are shit then you won't last long.

I honestly don't get the problem. It's a forum.

Out in the real world, these post counts don't matter. I don't really care for them here. If someone posts something that makes me laugh or think, then +1. Honestly don't get the obsession with shitposting - what is the beef? It's a forum, not LinkedIn. There isn't some over-arching business objective we're trying to hit here. The stigma is more against fun posts than shitposts, as it seems that a lot of people have difficulty with basic thought, and post shit, no matter their good intentions.

I honestly don't get the problem. It's a forum.

Out in the real world, these post counts don't matter. I don't really care for them here. If someone posts something that makes me laugh or think, then +1. Honestly don't get the obsession with shitposting - what is the beef? It's a forum, not LinkedIn. There isn't some over-arching business objective we're trying to hit here. The stigma is more against fun posts than shitposts, as it seems that a lot of people have difficulty with basic thought, and post shit, no matter their good intentions.

+1

I guarantee if post-count didn't exist a lot of people would have less beef with shit posters