Sign in to follow this  
GingerPopper

Things you like and hate about your country

UK-

Pros:

Speaks English, like me. I'd be fucked anywhere else

I mean, its not exactly a bad place to grow up, lets be honest

I'm genuinely convinced Britain is one of the most free cultures in the world, people are generally able to live comfortable lives the way they want

I think on the whole we try to do the decent thing, as a people/country. Moral compass etc. etc.

I mean the landscape itself is gorgeous

Life in the UK is ludicrously easy, I can order stuff at any time of the day and have it the next day, food at any time etc.; supermarkets stocked every day, fuel never runs out, lights never go off, roads are never utterly fucked for long periods of time, the council fuckin' sort my waste if I take it to the dump, they collect it from my house, the police come if I phone them, the army don't come and intimidate me, I'm never stopped on the road by corrupt police officers/politicians/councillors w/e, no civil war, no guns being used to initiate civil war, parties respect the political process, people aren't generally violent

Cons:

No second language, which is just stupid because its so important to have a second language

I wish British people were just a little bit more patriotic

Wars against the wrong bloody people

Cuts against the wrong bloody people

I wish people were more ambitious, so many people I know wished they'd tried harder in school sooner but started too late because they fell into the culture of lethargy and laissez-faire attitudes toward everything

Republic of Ireland-

Things I like: Cultural, creative and close knit country with a huge sense of pride.

Things I dislike: The stereotypes associated with us. Yes we like potatoes but we are actually thirteenth in Europe when it comes to consumption of them per head. (I'm not mad I just like a lot of salt on my spuds)