Sign in to follow this  
Lewis

My Rant on Syria

To sum it up I remember playing a flash game on a website years and years ago. I cant find the link to it but the objective of the game was simple.

You were presented with an obliviously middle eastern town square and loads of people milling around it. Almost all the people are dressed in a normal middle eastern dress but in the crowd there are a few dressed all in black. The game tells you clicking anywhere in that town square will launch a missile and kill anyone in the blast radius. The objective is to kill the few terrorists (the ones dressed in black) walking around with the missiles but avoiding the innocent people. The problem is for every innocent person you kill it will create 2 new terrorists, and the point of the game becomes clear. It is impossible to complete due to the fact that it is impossible to kill only the terrorists and not the innocents as there is always one far to close to the other. The more you try and control the problem by launching more missiles at the ever expanding terrorist population the more you create. Before long the 3/4 original terrorists has morphed into a huge black mass and the game is over.

Its a simple game but playing it at quite a young age, I was maybe 9/10 it had a pretty profound effect on me and was pretty much the first time I realized what a complex problem it was.

I'm not even going to began to know all the ins and outs of this situation, but it just seems lots of people have very different ideas of what will happen and it has been exaggerated via social media. I do believe action needs to be taken against ISIS; is bombing the right way about it? Maybe. I honestly do not know how to solve this problem but neither is it my job to come up with a solution. That's why we have a government, we vote them in and they solve (or attempt to solve) the problems we face. Honestly I am open to peoples opinions, I quite enjoyed reading through this thread.

ALSO just an interesting side note 53/56 SNPs voted against bombing syria. One could say, as a country Scotland wanted to stay out, and had we been independent we could have done. As it stands the country is dragged into a war yet again by people it didnt vote for. The conservatives have ONE seat in Scotland and still they get to decide what happens to us. Fucks me off tbh.

Scotland had a referendum to go independent and as a whole, you voted no - you cannot really complain, you had the opportunity. Then again, I can see how it is frustrating since maybe you voted yes to independence.

Also Mintlou, the "first-past-the-post" you complain about was also was given a referendum to change and we voted no, back in 2010/2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011

Also Mintlou, the "first-past-the-post" you complain about was also was given a referendum to change and we voted no, back in 2010/2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011

True, but in light of the last election some people might feel a little different about it. The SNP got 56 seats and 1.4 million votes, while the LibDems and UKIP got a combined number of 9 seats and 6.2 million votes. Clearly something is wrong with that.

I didn't watch the video as I do have a fair bit of knowledge on FPTP already.

GENERALLY Conservative and Labour are represented fairly from it, the main party that gets fucked is Liberal - support is so spread out and not demographically concentrated in rural constituencies for cons or cities for labour

Labour 9.3m votes and 232 seats

liberals 2.4m votes and 8 seats

labour CANNOT complain about how the cons are unfairly represented when libs got fucked that hard

(no idea what the vid is arguing, but i see a lot of lefties complaining about how FPTP fucked them this election) conservative still got over 2,000,000 more votes than them, from a 66% turnout

I'd say it was more unfair for UKIP who got 3.8 million votes (13%) and 1 seat (0.2%) and yes labour got greater % of the seats than % of the vote (30% of votes and 36% of seats).

Although the conservatives got 37% of the votes and effectively all of the power with 51% of the seats. So every party apart from the SNP and the conservatives have reasons to complain about FPTP.

The position the Conservatives are in - from a sense of government is pretty poor.

331 seats in government - and you need 326 to pass a policy - sometimes more in other cases.

Meaning if the opposition is unanimous and 7 liberal conservatives go against the party's policy they can't get it through. Very small majority to work on.

HOWEVER

This argument is completely irrelevant when the syria strike vote was passed with 400 MPS - a majority of 176 - 66 of which included Labour MPs.

This argument is completely irrelevant when the syria strike vote was passed with 400 MPS - a majority of 176 - 66 of which included Labour MPs.

Kind of avoiding this thread a little but this is a very interesting point, more labour MPs voted for it than the SNP have seats.

Although I wonder what the vote would have been like if the actual seats were better representative for the number of votes for each party. IE UKIP had 2.4million more votes than SNP but SNP have 55 more seats than UKIP.

But this thread isn't here to talk about how shit the voting system is, it's about Syria