Sign in to follow this  
Lewis

Veteran Admin Vote

I dont think its needed to be honest. I can't see there being any decisions we even need to vote on and obviously if they want our opinion they will ask.

We can continue the discussion for banter, but I think Gaffer wrote the final outcome no matter what we discuss, loud and clear. /thread

Oh, would have liked to see opinions from admin+ before you asked for a thread lock, but whatevs

Oh, didn't ask for a thread lock, I am saying in my opinion, what gaffer said probably just answers your post. Anyway, just my opinion, of course, the others will probably want to say something here too, dw.

═══════════════════░▒░══════════════════

════════════▒▒▒▓███████████▓▒═══════════

════════▒██████████▓▓▓▓██▓████▓═════════

══════▒███████▓█▓▓▓█▓█▓███▓▓▓███════════

═════▓███▓██▓▓████▓██▓█▓▓▓███▓██▒═══════

═════▓██▓███▓█▓████████▓▓█████▓██═══════

═════▒█████████▓▓▓███████████████▒══════

═════▒██████▓█████▒▒▒▒▒██████████▒══════

═════▒███████▓█▓█▒═════░▒▓█▓▓▒▒██▒══════

═════▒█████████▓█▓░░▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒██▒══════

═════▒████████████▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓█▒══════

═════▒██████████▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▓█▒══════

═════▒███████▓███▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▓▒══════

═════▓█▒░░▓██▓█▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒█▒══════

═════▓█▒▒▒░▒███▒░░▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒█▓█████══════ VENGA APPROVES

═════██░▒██▒▒████▒░▓██████████████══════

═════▒█▒▒▒▓▒░▓█▓███████████▒▒█████══════

══════▒█═░░▒▒▒█▒▒▒▒█▓██████░═████═══════

═▒▓███▓██░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██████▓▒░░▒██▒═══════

██████████▓█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▓▒▒▒▒░░░═░█════════

█████████▓▓█▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒░▒█════════

██████████▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▓██▓▒█════════

▓▓█▓████▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▓▓▓██═══════

██▓▒██▒░░▒▓▒▒▒▓█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒█████▒▒▓███══════

█▓▒█▓░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒█████═════

▓▓██░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓██▓▓██████════

▓██▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓██▓▒▒▒░▒░▒█████▓██═══

▓▓█▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▓▓██████▓▒▒▒▒█████▓▓██░══

█▓█▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓████████▓▒████▓██▓██══

▓██▒░▒░▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓████▓▒▒▒███▓▓█▓▓▓█══

▒██░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓███▓▓▒▒██▓█▓█▓▒█▓██░

▒█▒═░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒██▓▓▒█▒▒█▓▒▒▓█

▒█▓░░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒░░██▒▓▒▓▒▒█▓▒▒▒▒█

▒▒█▒═░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░═▒█▒▒▓▒▓█▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▓

█▒█▒═░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒═░██▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▓

▓▓▒█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░═▒█▒▒██▓▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▓

▓█▒█▒═░░░░░░░░▒░░░═▒█▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▓▓

▓█▓▒▒═░░░░░▒░▒░░▒═▒█▒▓▓▓▓▓█▓▒▒█▓▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▒

▓▓█▓▒░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒═░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓██▒▒▒▓▓█▓

▓▓▓▓█▒═░░░░▒▒▒▒═░▓▓▓▓▓▒▓███▒▓█▒▒▓█▓▒▒▒▒▒

▓▓▒▓█▓═░░▒▒░▒▒═░██▓▓▓▓▓████▒▓▓██▓▓██▓▓▓▓

▓▒▒▓▒█░░▒▒░▒░═▒█████████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████

▓█▓▓▓█▓═▒░▒░░██████████████▓████████████

▓█▓▓▓▒█░░▒═░██████▓█▓█▓█▓▓▓▒█▒▒▒▒▒██████

This suggestion could be seen in two ways: Inactive old members trying to make big decisions or experienced players giving advice to the admin team.

Obviously the second sounds much nicer but I don't like the idea of letting them vote.

If we were to give more than just the admins voting powers then why would we stop at the veterans? Let the members, donors and veterans all vote. Alternatively we could have a small group of trusted members called moderators that we let vote on things...oh wait we have that.

If you really want to get an opinion on a topic then just tell an admin and/or moderator and they will bring it up in the admin meetings. It's easier and more effective than getting an alternative vote.

That all being said it would be nice if we had a general notes post from all the admin meetings, even if it is small things such as:

Next event to be hosted by unseen, unseen and unseen

New members

- foo

New trials

- bar

- bax

- qux

Minecraft server is cancelled

Okay to clean a few things up, which were mentioned in the original post, but perhaps in too brief a context.

I'm not suggesting this solely for veterans, if people are that opposed to that, then look to my latter suggestion, members. Sure, members can post ideas and suggestions, but it doesn't seem to have such a great effect, in my experience during OB.

A nice poll in the members section on the forums on some of the key concepts of admin meetings, whether this just to gain a general understanding of what the active members want, or whether that counted as a certain amount of moderator votes is up to debate.

I'm looking at the veteran thing solely from experience:

-You've got 7 ex-owners, 4 ex admin+ and 3 ex mods - seems an awful waste not to consult a group like that should the time arise for a new server vote, fundamental rule changes, slot size, decisions on whether someone is hacking.

I didn't expect people to become so defensive, I'm not trying to promote this group into an increased administrator role.

Also, regarding the inactivity thing, I thought it was quite clear with the distinction between veterans being an experienced group voting on things which years and years of experience can bring help to, and members (people being active on the server) are available for a wider voice of consent for map changes etc.

It works on a server, but it's not good practice to put decisions solely into one "more powerful" team, like admins. Because you went through a trial and have the ability to ban someone, and someone else doesn't, why should they be excluded from helping? There are many members who have way more hours on the server than certain mods, and I'm sure they also have way more knowledge on certain decisions effecting internal elements of the server.

Similarly there are certain people in the veteran team with nearly 7 years more experience in JB than new mods.

It's not a question that the admin team isn't capable - 50 opinions are better than 15 right?

Skeff - I disagree with the fact that one member talking to a moderator who brings that up in an admin meeting is more effective than a quick poll which shows the results from like 30 people. But I also like the idea of meeting notes.

I guess what I'm suggesting appears naturally quite radical, a movement towards larger community integration.

If anything, as I've mentioned, nothing wrong with a quick poll in the member area on some of the important debates of a meeting.

Moderators remain with the ability of banning, kicking - common server and forum powers, but as a community the effectiveness of members and veterans opinions could be greater heard.

Just gonna chip in and pretty much have the final say on it.

First off for this thread itself - some people have indeed been stupidly defensive but at the same time, as far as I have been aware, this was suggested on TS before it was posted and Conor himself said no to it.

My stance and most of our stance is that the 'more official' vote for vets/members is somewhat unnecessary as the number of these type of decisions are minimal anyway and not really needed. We share information that we want to reveal to all of the community in news updates and whatnot.

In regards to helping out however, that we are obviously more than welcome to - but if people have suggestions or opinions on a situation then they can contact any of us or perhaps make a thread about it for discussion (like this, which is fine tbh). In reference to the amount of experience among the veterans, I completely agree and I know I personally will ask when I feel a bit of experience, in the past I've asked say Venga for help with event stories, various members/veterans for opinions on potential member/mod applicants and I know full well that I will be asking Jamie for his advice on some of our future planned servers (which was something we had discussed on the forums as well).

At the end of the day we do value everyone's opinions and we take them into account for our decisions, but an official system is both kinda unnecessary and at the same time would undermine any decisions which we decide it would be better to go against the popular opinion - it was only recently that certain decisions were undermined due to pressure from people's opinions.

tl;dr - what gaff said with some buff, we appreciate opinions, we will ask for advice when it's needed, we don't really need an official system

Will lock this, but if you want to talk about it more feel free to pm me.

Also that Venga lookalike image gets me every fucking time lmfao