Sign in to follow this  
knock

No admins = Free killing madness

I let is slip the first couple of times, but it's a frequent occurrence now.

I recently read this viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5859

And it's true, something need to change but what?

So, in the morning, there are at least 5 free killing ct's and join ct each map and when us T's tell them command, they say no I don't want to command and stuff like this... Or they just don't have a mic.

Oh, then one would say FREEDAY! on nearly every round, but yet they would kill us for doing no harm.

Regulars such as revilia vemix ( who didn't stay as long as me and revilia) were on this morning (19/10/15) and it's just insane. I believe it was the Bravo map which was when I first played this morning ( around 10am, not even that early) were I joined CT as I wasn't aware of the stupidity of th current ones, and they wouldn't open cells when asked, and one of them knifed the vents to let a T out...

There is a lot more to it then this but I have recordings on spy v spy and a couple of other maps ( all from this morning-all within 1 hour as that's all I had )

Here's 10 minutes of voice abuse, free killing, cheating in LR and about 6 Ct's (v like 4 T's) who would continuously shoot me while tryin to LR.

What I'm trying to say is there should be at least some small amount of power regulars have when in time of admin help when they're not online.

Allowing public kick vote would be worthless as they are free killing as a group, it's not one or two of them so they would F2 and kick you.

So I'm not sure what can be done?!:

Discuss ideas!

** "just don't play JB at that time then" **

This is ridiculous, we should be able to play JB fairly at any time we want and we shouldn't have to put up with this!

+ you want Ob to expand? What impression is it going to give on the new players witnessing troublemakers? I guess they wouldn't want to be returning at time soon...

I analyse this as follow: A lot of regulars are not mod material, in the past this was way different when there was a lot of mod material and a lot of mods were playing on the jailbreak server also.

I think it wouldn't hurt the JB server to more regularly look at potential mods, not even each time open the mod section. But an analyses of who should get mod can be made in the admin meeting if someone deserves it and the server is chaos for a while. Keeping in mind this because JB hours are so flexible. When school starts the mods can't be flexible anymore. This should be a way to put off a lot of pressure off the server for peek times, give someone a 1 month mod time. If this person is trustworthy and this person let's say has a school vacation (so even mod for a week if he's in a region with a certain vacation time). Can only be done with very trusted members which are dedicated enough. This is just a random idea, a lot can be wrong with it if you want to poke holes into it.

One thing I do very strongly about: OB lags behind on mod appointments. See the next drawing:

Xf3lE8d.png

I feel that most mods get chosen at the red point, when they are beyond their peak playtime and they start to diminish in activity while others are way more active within the JB community and are less likely to diminish in activity. Also I believe not all mods are chosen on what's best for the JB server. I won't put down names, but in some past mod appointments people who weren't really active on the server got mod over just as good people who were active on the server.

I'm not saying these people shouldn't have gotten mod, I believe it's a bad setup when you limit the amount of mods in combination with a lot of mods not being active on the server. Maybe make a big separation in the mod applications somewhere between "trustworthy members that should be mod" and "jailbreak rug sweeper mods" should be made, as to guarantee some of the rugsweepers do make mod to efficiently clean up the server.

About late night hours and early morning mods: Never going to happen, the regular basis at this moment is so shitty on the server you're never going to get a good basis for mods at these hours. Unless the server is less ebola than I remember.

That's my analyses of the situation, I'm aware that this information may be quite outdated. Seeing as I haven't played on JB for quite a bit and am not very active on JB. But I believe also with the amount of ban requests and messages I see that this isn't such a bad assessment. I'm also not fully aware of what goes on backstage on OB so feel free to correct me. I do feel very strongly about the "rug sweeper mods" though.

Edit: also with your idea to vote and such about things when no mods are on. This aint going to work, I believe the member basis isn't good enough to guarentee no abuse. Maybe give it to veterans?? Or do something like member+? Will only make the situation more tricky.

First of all, thanks for the descriptive reply.

Nevertheless I agree with what you say.

Rug sweepers is a good idea and perhaps a temporary mod like you said, when the current admins are away and there is trouble within the JB server.

There is something called an IRC, having previous experience with irc, I can set up a channel for Outbreak, if there is a command within ob chat, all those within the irc channel would be alerted. ( I'm sure that can be set up.

I briefly read over this, but in my time I've seen a lot of topics like this

This has never really been an "Important problem"

In essence OB has always had a good mod team, lot of them, majority are active

and you can count on the fact right now that if you go on PB on what I define "Normal hours" a.k.a 7pm on a Friday night, you'll always find mod(s) - something which is better than it was back in 2011.

Now I'm not aiming this at you, or any past threads like this in particular, but the majority tend to be "no admin on at 3am when freekillers are most active ffs"

Similarly when people go back to school or are at work at midday on a weekday there aren't gonna be many mods on...

If this is a continuous, persistent problem at peak times (which I'd argue it isn't based on my occasional visits onto pb) then conor, kartoffel and unseen would defo need to look into the mod team.

It's difficult to adjust - find someone who plays at 3AM who's a sick mod, or someone who doesn't go to school or have a job to be on PB constantly through the day, and OB doesn't want to start limiting their mod team to certain people like that...

tl;dr - go to sleep if this shit is happening in the early hours of the morning or do something active in the daytime when the server is less populous

if this is happening at peak time make sure you have some mods on your list or have the TS i.p - I have a steam group dedicated to current mods and everyone who's been a mod in the past - that group is NEVER EVER fully offline, at least when i'm on.

Please take into account it takes a lot of trust to appoint someone with powers for a moderator. We've decided that the use of vote commands with players is not the best option to follow.

Admins/Mods do try and be available on the server as frequently as they can. At the least there is normally someone available in steam chat who can respond (so its handy to add several staff members)

We'll be looking into expanding our moderator team in the near future. Just keep in mind that a lot of us have school/uni/work that occupies a lot of our time.

Unfortunately jailbreak is one of those game-modes where it essentially requires constant policing since it appears a great deal of people cannot be trusted. We are trying to balance this as best we can. So I'm not saying 'Don't play at these times' just know that we are very much aware of the problem and are trying to rectify it.

This is exactly my point, I/we should not have to go off jb because of free killers.

And I know the current admins are well at doing there job at "peak" hours, that's fine, but in mornings (10am I experienced this morning) but the point in making is at the non "peak" hours thrre is a lot of chaos and no admins are on to resolve this.

Giving a small amount of power to regular, trusted users should not be ignored. As ready stated, perhaps a different kind of mod? A new section (2nd backup mod team or something like that) where regular users should be granted power within the server. However when the real mods are on, the players within the 2nd team have the power removed and are just like everyone else.

Thanks got reassurance Daffy Duck.

I understand a lot of admins are busy now. That's why it's becoming a problem xD

You don't need to give these people mod powers such as the current mods, however I don't know what powers would be left xD but it's just for the hours when free killing is common.

As others are saying, I really don't have mod responsibilities but I do sometimes tend to tell others what to do and not to do.

Knock sometimes not all admins can be on at each hour or everyday because we do have lives and have things to do in real life and not mess around on the internet but it doesn't mean they don't try to get on to moderate the server!

Xf3lE8d.png

I feel that most mods get chosen at the red point, when they are beyond their peak playtime and they start to diminish in activity while others are way more active within the JB community and are less likely to diminish in activity.

This may be true

OR.

Getting mod often contributes to people stopping playing. It did for me, once you get mod you can no longer just go on the server and chill out, if you are on there people expect you to be alert and monitoring the server. You get bitched at constantly and moaned to come on the server when you dont want to. You spend half your time banning people or muteing others for winning about unfair slays. Its a job that really wears you down.

Also Jailbreak lends itself to only being very very fun for a short amount of time, the novelty kind of wares off a bit. The people who bum JB for 6/7 hours a day everyday and are the most commited are normally within their first 4/5 months of playing which is too short to trust someone for mod IMO. Once they become more experinced and served longer in the community their playtime goes down because they start to lose that obsessive interest in JB, its at this time they are probably seen wise enough to be given mod.

Knock sometimes not all admins can be on at each hour or everyday

Again, your missing the point. This is exactly the problem....

Because they are not on everyday/hour, there needs to be something implemented for when they are not on...

I feel as if regurgitating a reply to this thread is a task that recurs every month or so..

Anyways I pretty much agree with Lewis, yeah it's a pain for players who are on at early hours but it just isn't ideal to have a 'late night mod'. There is pretty much always someone on during the peak times and as a mod team we have a system in place to try ensure our moderators are constantly improving. Obviously we hope to keep the server moderated at all times, but we can't setup a roster or something dumb like that - I'm pretty sure there will be a mod online at most hours of the day who if you asked to pop on and clean up quick they would.

As Lewis said, if there were issues at peak times we'd look into it as a massive issue, and admittedly the only reason we have the issues at off peak times is because our server is so popular - but we don't have that issue at the moment and even without it we are looking into possible expansion of the team in the near future (as Daffy mentioned) regardless.

Also in reply to IML's graph, I pretty much agree with Fluxy's point. Your graph would be slightly inaccurate, I would say we pick the mods as they hit their peak rather than just after it - and then 90% of mods have a week where their activity increases with the new power they have just obtained before they realise that it is more of a task than a treat. Moderating JB is a pain, managing people is a pain and this pain is the job you get put up with if you are an admin. It's the ability to balance game time and still contribute within this job without losing all of your server time which separates the okay mods from the great ones.

tl;dr - The answer is the same as usual, we do our best & cover the server pretty well tbh and even then we are still striving to improve. People's hours do drop after getting mod but that's because you're all a bunch of twats xoxoxoxo

Also in reply to IML's graph, I pretty much agree with Fluxy's point. Your graph would be slightly inaccurate, I would say we pick the mods as they hit their peak rather than just after it - and then 90% of mods have a week where their activity increases with the new power they have just obtained before they realise that it is more of a task than a treat. Moderating JB is a pain, managing people is a pain and this pain is the job you get put up with if you are an admin. It's the ability to balance game time and still contribute within this job without losing all of your server time which separates the okay mods from the great ones.

Agreed and a little disagreed. Modding becomes a task whereby mods are playing less. But I believe when you appoint mods you can select for this kinda I'm sure it isn't always a surprise when you see certain mods activity decline.

About my graph being inaccurate, I'm not entirely sure. It really depends on how you look at it, or let me put it like this: The graph I drew I'm trying to compensate for "overplaying" during the time mod applications are open.

If you look at the hours played during mod applications on open my graph is definitly inaccurate. You can just clearly see this in behaviour with certain people, when the mod applications go open they play a lot more and they'll start paying attention to everything and try to correct a lot of people that are doing things wrong. When someone does that I count them on the decline, seeing as they are playing to get mod and not for the gamemode. They often therefore decline after they got the mod powers.

Anyways potato potato, it all writes the same I guess. Chicken or the egg?