Sign in to follow this  
Skillershark

GCSE's

Peasants, we don't have GCSE's in Spain. HA!

Although we have another type of education system, and to access to university we have to do a couple of exams which are part of the PAU (Prueba de Acceso a la Universidad, in English: University Access Exam).

I have the new GCSE scheme and you're lucky you don't have to do all your tests in year 11 and have to remember all the work set out for 3 years :( Gl with them though, i'm sure you will get a good grade :D

I'll be honest I thought I did loads of work for my GCSE's but when I started A level and Uni I realised I did pretty much nothing for my GCSE's. They're an important step but after GCSE is the time you need to work 10 times harder.

It's natural in England that older students/people will look back and say HA! who cares about them, useless, i didn't try etc.

Year 12's call GCSE's stupid and AS's really hard

Year 13 call AS easy and A levels really hard.

etc.

Just do your best, as long as you balance your time well, good social life, have fun gaming etc. No shame in working hard for your GCSE's.

On the contrary to others in this thread - Alevels are a lot more important IMO. With the exception of a mundane job, where most people want C's in English+Maths, maybe Science. If you're looking for something better, they'll care more about Alevels, Degree and where you got your degree from.

I've been asked a lot about my alevels compared to gcses, I don't think i've been asked what i got in gcse for about 2 years.

On the contrary to others in this thread - Alevels are a lot more important IMO. With the exception of a mundane job, where most people want C's in English+Maths, maybe Science. If you're looking for something better, they'll care more about Alevels, Degree and where you got your degree from.

I've been asked a lot about my alevels compared to gcses, I don't think i've been asked what i got in gcse for about 2 years.

In the past it wasn't guaranteed that everyone would do a-levels since it wasn't compulsory, however I suppose it's a slightly different ball game now.

You'll be just fine, put most of your focus into Maths, English Literature and Language. They are the important ones that people actually may care about, but try your best for everything. If you need any help with understanding anything, especially Maths and English I'm practically always online from Wednesday to Sunday (probably not languages though, I barely scraped a C in my French and I tried really hard, I suck at languages). In regards to whether GCSE's are overhyped it really depends on your targets. If you are targeted for A*'s in most your subjects they almost certainly are. If your targeted for D's than they aren't, you would need to put in work to get the C's you need. Lastly, you can definitely do better than your targets, it's in your teachers interest to set them low so they can show as many students reached their targets as possible, plus targets are skewed by lazy arseholes (like me) who barely revise ever and at the end of the day, no matter how well you have done previously, it's just a matter of getting the correct information in your head and articulating it correctly, which anyone can do with enough work. Good luck! :)

In India we have CBSE(rhymes with GCSE lel) and we commonly call them the boards. We get grades from 1 to 10, even decimals included like 9.8 but not odd like 9.7. We can calculate the approximate percentage by multiplying grades by 9.5. But yeah I hate our education system to be honest because every freakin' thing depends on the boards and close to none actually see the true potential in the person.

m8 just done gcses, nothing to be worried about , schools make them seem so important these days when realistically all the do is get you into college , (which is very leniant on your grades anyway) so getting those good grades is more of a personal achivement. Now i barley worked all year and didnt do any revision for my gcses and passed them all. It is alot easier than what they make you believe . But tbh no empolyer will ever ask for your gcse's . So dont take this as a "dont do anything" reply, ofc you should work hard , you will improve your own knowledge and probably get better grades in A level but thats along time after. So dont worry too much about your Gcse's. Best of luck x