Sign in to follow this  
Wist

Windows 10

Okay, so, I am currently dual-booting Windows 7/10 (OSG Edition). It's faring quite well, zero BSOD's and crashes, as well as a definite increase in speed (both speed of windows and other programs, as this seems to use less resources).

I have found some applications refuse to open, unless you're using compatibility mode, and I have to use command prompt a fair amount in order to fix explorer loops and create shortcuts (which has been completely broken for me).

Installing was also a pain, I got 80240020, which seems somewhat common. Deleted download and installed again, which did the trick and sorted it out. I would definitely not recommend this unless you're ready to get "under the hood" and fix some problems. Also, don't do anything critical on Win 10 yet.

Okay, so, I am currently dual-booting Windows 7/10 (OSG Edition). It's faring quite well, zero BSOD's and crashes, as well as a definite increase in speed (both speed of windows and other programs, as this seems to use less resources).

I have found some applications refuse to open, unless you're using compatibility mode, and I have to use command prompt a fair amount in order to fix explorer loops and create shortcuts (which has been completely broken for me).

Installing was also a pain, I got 80240020, which seems somewhat common. Deleted download and installed again, which did the trick and sorted it out. I would definitely not recommend this unless you're ready to get "under the hood" and fix some problems. Also, don't do anything critical on Win 10 yet.

What is it like though? the features etc? Hope its not got alot in common with windows 8 which was a pile of shit for PC/laptop use IMO. I know the start menu is back which is great

Features wise? Pretty much the same as Windows 7, except with a bit more flashiness and a weird start menu.

Windows 10 appears to be more like a behind-the-scenes thing. I don't think I got across in my last post how fast it is.

EDIT: Windows 10 has much better multi-screen support.

Edited by Guest

I looked at a review of Windows 10. I don't see the need to upgrade. Also in regard to cost, it states that it is free for the first year but there is no information on future pricing, and if I was a dragon on Dragon's Den I'd be out at this point. I'll wait to see what Pirates can do with it.

I looked at a review of Windows 10. I don't see the need to upgrade. Also in regard to cost, it states that it is free for the first year but there is no information on future pricing, and if I was a dragon on Dragon's Den I'd be out at this point. I'll wait to see what Pirates can do with it.

I thought they meant that if you get it within the first year it's totally free and after that if you want to get it, it will cost.

Edited by Guest

I thought they meant that if you get within the first year it's totally free and after that if you want to get it, it will cost.

Has to be, otherwise it's a shocking business decision

It's correct it's free to upgrade to windows 10 (forever in first year)

One advantage of windows 10 also is, it's a heck of a lot easier to detect cheats on it. Really easy lol.

Also Direct x 12 but that depends on when games start running it