Sign in to follow this  
UnSeen

Fear

Over the last few months I've been writing a story with a character who is heavily influenced and heavily influences fear and the minds of other people. I've not written much due to a mixture of exams and repeating writers block but in general it got me thinking about the different fears and how some people just are scared of certain things.

I made this thread both to possibly aid my story with ideas for how I can develop certain characters by the other fears lingering in the back of their minds, and out of curiosity to see what you guys fear. Although there will be general things you are scared of, the kind of thing I am thinking of is the innate fear, the irrational feeling where you just encounter something and you just can't face it. Hopefully many of you won't have encountered situations where you have been struck by such fear, but you might be aware of what triggers you nonetheless.

Obviously in some cases this can be personal, so I'd understand if some of you would be thinking - fuck off. I know my personal fear, as I have experienced it briefly, is the dread of being focused on when I am shown to be weak - whether this be with general mistakes or when I am literally physically weak, unable to do anything for anyone while I'm in the spotlight.

tl;dr - What sp00ks you?

I fear that there's nothing in the other side, that when we leave, we just leave and we are forgotten like dust. But I don't think a lot about because there's no point in thinking about death while alive, when it decides to come, I'll embrace it but I will ask myself where am I going and I fear strange sounds at night when I'm home alone.

Funny enough both the fear of death [or rotting away meaninglessly in my book] and arachnophobia have featured in my book as they suited the situation and I felt arachnophobia was such a common one that it was easy to fit in.

Traffic veering into you does sound pretty logical, though unless I implemented the venga bus running over a man in his nightmares it might be interesting to put in, lmao. Sleep paralysis however would be pretty dark and with certain characters struggling to sleep it would certainly be applicable.

Trypophobia - until searching it up I had honestly not come across it, I'm curious how said fear works? Say an arachnophobic like my mother is fine to look at a still spider, but it is the movement of the legs and its crawling which spooks her out - what makes a pattern or hole or circle so terrifying for you? (If you don't mind saying).

Trypophobia - until searching it up I had honestly not come across it, I'm curious how said fear works? Say an arachnophobic like my mother is fine to look at a still spider, but it is the movement of the legs and its crawling which spooks her out - what makes a pattern or hole or circle so terrifying for you? (If you don't mind saying).

I can't really explain what is so terrifying about it, it just gives me such an uncomfortable feeling and I literally have to turn away from any clusters of holes, it feels dirty and just as if an army of tiny insects could hatch out of the holes and eat me alive.

I can't really explain what is so terrifying about it, it just gives me such an uncomfortable feeling and I literally have to turn away from any clusters of holes, it feels dirty and just as if an army of tiny insects could hatch out of the holes and eat me alive.

It is an 'irrational' fear I suppose, but it is intriguing nonetheless and it would be interesting to write about - if not a little gruesome. Looking up different phobias and there are so many which unless you have those innate fears, you are just confused as to how such a phobia works.

I fear what people think about me. Some times they just have to be kind because they don't want to make a big deal out of it etc. It's like i want to see what they actually think. I also fear that any moment nuclear bombs would come from the sky and destroy our homes turning into another War. Also maybe other things like a blackhole sucking the earth like something dark is coming closer and closer to consume your life with. So yeah these are my main fears i guess :/