Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Conor

CS:GO Server

If you do bring back JB that would be epic! but just so you guys know i played a fair few hours on minigame servers and i have to say its still alot of fun, the courses work the best but the general minigames is still a great amount of fun. The thing with courses is you don't need a lot of players to enjoy it.

I'm just thinking about what peoples posts say, what people seem to want and whats happening here for each game type.

Jailbreak

From the thread I feel that people have a soft spot for it, when i was in team speak the other day everyone seemed to enjoy talking about jailbreak.

I feel the last server failed due to lack of interest by admins which meant less people came into the community, and that's what would probably happen if we get a new jailbreak server.

I know that the downfall of the old jailbreak server will be the same downfall as any cs;go jailbreak server OB makes, but if admins (not neccessarily the current ones) were monitoring and playing the server a lot then it has potential for success, especially when i see people and older (not age but when they played with OB) people enjoyed our jailbreak and would like to play again.

Surf

Surf would be nice but i dont feel we'd support it much, even though we have great surfers in the community.

Unfortunately there are issues that biggles stated in his post

we found the combat servers get boring quickly whilst the skill servers have no communication

So new/not as good surfers wont like it and good surfers would get bored after a short amount of time.

Minigames

I dont feel there was much support in this thread for minigames, and a few posts put me off the idea of minigames such as

Alot of minigames changed due to the physics, for example crouch jumping isnt a thing anymore. There are still minigames out there but cs:source rules over it.

and someone mentioned that a lot of minigame maps in csgo are courses, which i'm not keen on.

I feel this server will be much like the old server, if mg is as good as source. We may play and get all of us on for a short amount of time but we're not that bothered about it and i feel we won't be able to keep it as popular as we want for a long time.

Seeing as this is the choice from the admins i'll try to give it support but i'm not much of a minigame fan, and i can't see many fans in this thread, so good luck with that.

Zombie & others

although these were mentioned in the thread no one really seemed to comment on them, which is a shame, i quite like them for a bit.

TL:DR

I feel jailbreak is what a lot of people want but due to admin enthusiasm it won't happen and would fail, but with a lot of work it has potential

Surf wouldn't be that popular with us, and those of us who enjoy it will get bored quickly

I feel minigames is OBs cheap answer to jailbreak, it has the games but less of the role play. I can't see this working.

Other game types may have been overlooked whilst thinking about this

Anyway those are my thoughts, hopefully the mg server will be fun, if not then i really think JB and a bit of a restructure of the community is in order.

<3 Skeff

Skeff raises some excellent points tbf

Also I think you need to host an admin+ meeting with them all there and redecide as like 2 of our own admins dont even want minigames and wanted PB instead. I say admin+ as they have basically always been decision makers of the community and I dont mean this to offend anybody but mods, as of now, are nothing more than members with a few permissions on teamspeak. If you're gonna host a mod+ meeting then pull in all the members too.

And if mods are lacking enthusiasm, then maybe its time to replace a few of them?

First of all, I'm glad to see someone raised their thoughts about the admin teams decision.

It shows you are interested in OB and its future.

Although saying that Minigames is the easy way out for Jailbreak feels quite narrow minded. But let me fill you in with the rest of the information. It's true that the current OB staff has chosen Minigames over Jailbreak due to the ammount of work that lays ahead for setting up a Jailbreak server and runnning it. But can you blame them? Not really if you ask me, I know summer is here and most of us have quite some time on our hands. Although when summer is over and people have to go back to their work or studies their free time will be occupied again.

But before any of the server monitoring can happen the server has to be set up and populated. And here is my thought about populating any CS:GO server and why OB failed to populate their last JB server and Minigame server. This might seem quite narrow minded although I honnestly believe that TS is the factor that keeps OB from getting new members. If every person from OB sits on TS and talks on there the whole time they play on the server. New people joining the server will be like alright this server seems ok. But the moment they leave the'll probally not add it to their favorites. And will end up searching for Minigames again the next time they start up CS:GO and might end up at another server. Honnestly the only reason why I have been playing CS:S for such a long time was because of the people and not the game mode. And loads of new players have been joining OB due to its players. But the only way to get accros who OB is and its members is by talking ingame instead of on TS. I know this might seem a bit dramatic although its the truth I like to believe in due to previous expierence.

Now let's talk about why we have chosen Minigames, first of all a new game = new maps. There are quite some new maps going around for CS:GO concerning Minigames. And since Minigames is such a wide minded gamemode it has the freedom for map makers to do what they want. Second, the ammount of monitoring is so low that even without admins playing the server would run just fine. Actually to quote Venga "Playing on Minigames does not feel like a job to me." It's important to know that satisfying the community as a whole is priority number 1. Unfortunately at this right moment with this decision we cannot. But I myself think that this community needs to realise what has happend over time with OB.

Some of you will agree to disagree that current OB is not the kind of community OB is supposed to be. Currently OB feels like a TS where groups of people play games together. And don't get me wrong that is fine, although I feel and the rest of the staff felt we had to get a server to get the community together again. And this is why we had the idea of getting a CS:GO server. The current OB Staff has thought about this subject multiple times and what would be best and yesterday the outcome was minigames for the reasons stated above. Perhaps we cannot satisfy everyone with the gamemode of their choice but atleast we can satisfy the majority with a CS:GO server to get the community going again. And perhaps OB will end up with a Jailbreak server in the future when we have a bigger member base again.

Summary:

- Jailbreak Workload is to much and the majority of the current admins does not specifically like Jailbreak more then Minigames.

- What ever the server may be, the voice communication needs to happen ingame and not on TS to get new members.

- Minigames could be the new Jailbreak.

- Get the community going again!

Just to clear this up: This is my own oppinion and it might be different from the rest of the admins.