Sign in to follow this  
Cereal

Newer players

On the server tonight I saw about 5 or 6 new players who have never played JB before, and I realised that when they joined the server, it's initially very intimidating and confusing for them to; understand whats going on, and grasp the concept of Jailbreak.

I personally think more precautions should be made to help newer players, this can help prevent baiting/freekilling players, and get more regulars on the server. This can be done in a few ways.

1: CT block them to start with

By stopping new players from going CT to begin with, you not only stop freekillers and baiters, but allow players to view how JB works from an easier perspective. By stopping a player going on the CT team for, lets say 30mins of ingame time, it stops people being angry towards them for doing something wrong (freekilling/baiting), and therefore means that they're less likely to be scared off the server. I'm not sure if there's a plugin for this, but I've seen it done on other servers, so there is probably one around somewhere.

2: Create a short guide on what Jailbreak is

Although at this point we have the '/rules' command, I really dont think is enough to introduce new players to Jailbreak. A wall of text can be intimidating and boring for new player and I think a short, paragraph guide explaining how Jailbreak works, what to do, and what's going on, is really useful. For example, having a command such as '/new' is much easier for a experienced player to tell a newer player what to do, than having to explain the entire concept of Jailbreak through text chat. Within this guide it should include, basic principles, how JB works and what it's aims are, and a basic shorthand of the rules. This should not be too much longer than a few lines, so not to bore or turn away newer players, but to interest them in the game mode.

3: Not overcomplicating Jailbreak

By adding lots of over the top features it can scare away new players, and make Jailbreak look harder or more complex than it really is.

Edited by Guest

In regards to the new players guide - get them to type !games and that will explain it. I do try and get this out there anyway

Oh damn, I guess I wasted my time then. xD

I'll be sure to suggest this to newer plays when I see them on the server. Thanks a lot! :D

Feel free to delete this thread.

I think the whole blocking new players from going CT is no brainer, it was on the suggestion threads before.

Why in the world would you want new players going onto the CT who don't understand the game.

It would also stop A LOT of people who just come on to troll.

The only real debate is how long..

ADD IT, YOU FOOLS.

I agree with the new players not being able to join CT, but the time spent alive has to be a lot more for it to be useful.

In an old server i use to play it was set for 30 hours at least of time spent on the server, which ended up with CT's who were very competent and knew all the rules.

This could probably save mods a lot of time banning people who come on just to freekill and avoid a lot of things which should never happen.

Like a CT just sat in armoury the whole round or a CT who knows none of the maps. (For example just sat in some corner some where being completely useless)

15 minutes is like 3 rounds at the very most and that's if the rounds are complete shambles.

This is what I think about it in a bit more detail in case you don't want to go and try to find what I said <3

I can see where your coming from, because having people who already know what they're doing would make up for the lack of map knowledge.

However, we can't naturally assume every person who comes on has previous experience.

There's still going be new people and just out-right trolls who'll just ruin and fuck up all the time, they can't really mess up a game as T and they certainly wouldn't spend that much time to just troll.

I think the plugin would be a good addition just to save mods from stupid trolls.

It would also help in the off-hours so people won't just come on to kill everyone and then mods waste time going through complaints etc.

I still think if it was ever implemented it would have to have at least 20 hours on the server because then new people would learn a lot.

They would learn when/how to warning shot, different games, how to command with some competency, learn maps and etc.

There's no real reason not to add it tbh, in my opinion.

We somewhat have most of this stuff apart from the CT blocking. Personally I think the CT blocking would work well however players who have experience elsewhere might not want to wait long to join CT so it should have a low timer, perhaps 20 minutes spent alive as a T. The issue we have now is that no one is linking the mods plugins that will allow this stuff to work - find a plugin and it will be seriously looked into.

The issue we have now is that no one is linking the mods plugins that will allow this stuff to work - find a plugin and it will be seriously looked into.

This.

What server was it Danny? Do you have a link to the plugin which did that? We can only take a look if there exists an actual plugin. Have a look on google for sourcemod plugins that fits what you described then link it here.

In a different server I used to play on we had not only Members and Mods/Other staff, but we also had Mentors. Those were people who just knew the rules, but didn't want or didn't have the right mentality to become staff. The mentors job was to teach the game to newcomers and they had a say as soon as someone broke the rules, however they cant ban or kick or do any other form of punishment, this was up to the mods. Mentors were also asked to stand ready if someone wants to add them to ask something. I know at least a few players in our community who definitely can be this role, but it's a concept with some pros and cons.

Thought I would just leave the idea here, it is not really a suggestion, but more of a heads-up that this maybe could help if the problem Cereal describes becomes bigger...

In a different server I used to play on we had not only Members and Mods/Other staff, but we also had Mentors. Those were people who just knew the rules, but didn't want or didn't have the right mentality to become staff. The mentors job was to teach the game to newcomers and they had a say as soon as someone broke the rules, however they cant ban or kick or do any other form of punishment, this was up to the mods. Mentors were also asked to stand ready if someone wants to add them to ask something. I know at least a few players in our community who definitely can be this role, but it's a concept with some pros and cons.

Thought I would just leave the idea here, it is not really a suggestion, but more of a heads-up that this maybe could help if the problem Cereal describes becomes bigger...

I'd be a great mentor, I'd tell new players to give mods a hard time when rules get broken.

I know at least a few players in our community who definitely can be this role

and you ain't one of them paradox ;)

U break my heart Finn, I mean who can u think of that spends more time on the JB server than me...

Good point. You convinced me #Paradox4Mentor

I see a good point in the idea of finn, get a mentor group with only trusted members/regulars to teach new players how to ct and other things. But on the other hand, a new player can already ask someone to help them out. So actually we already have this, but it never gets used or new players cant recognize players who want to help