Sign in to follow this  
Lewis

[WEEKLY DEBATE] TRIAL

Might do some of these, and venga may to, depends how people like them.

A question gets phrased and then you discuss it, I'll make them as split as possible so hopefully there's people on two sides...

"Of the sports considered popular across the world, rugby is one which takes the least amount of skill to play - particularly at novice (school) level"

My thoughts: It is, all you have to be is big, strong and fast, and you'd rek any other kids in your year.

Learn to pass a ball, and be big and you're the best. Takes no where near the technique of swimming, tennis and cricket.

Come at me

Individual technique maybe, but that's because players generally have to focus and develop certain skills to the detriment of others. Strong and big generally means less fast, but that doesn't mean fast players don't play a crucial role.

It's like comparing a solo pianist versus an orchestra. Different objectives and different ways of achieving them.

Also, there is a lot to be said for the value of co-operation in groups. Secondarily, it's also worth noting that the technique and skill involved in the sports you mentioned always put certain individuals under the spotlight, so it's a matter of perception and emphasis more than actual quantifiable skill, or perhaps less opportunity for skill to be quantified in rugby.

[/confusedasfuckpost.scatterbrained]

I remember one huge guy in our year (12 stone) in year 10 which was fucking huge at the time. He did a run up until he was full speed, got chucked the ball, and the 10 of us in defence literally just stepped aside. No one wanted to even attempt that shit r0fl.

I can see when you get to pro level it takes good teamwork and understanding - but at secondary school it was such a biased sport which although I enjoyed playing, I wish i could have spent time elsewhere.

That shit gave me a black eye from a 6 foot 2 monster also - my last ever tackle attempt

"Of the sports considered popular across the world, rugby is one which takes the least amount of skill to play - particularly at novice (school) level"

My thoughts: It is, all you have to be is big, strong and fast, and you'd rek any other kids in your year.

Learn to pass a ball, and be big and you're the best. Takes no where near the technique of swimming, tennis and cricket.

Come at me

As a rugby player, I disagree a lot with this. (yeah everyones allowed their own opinion blah blah). Up till about u14 and u15s, big players do have an advantage, for obvious reasons (puberty etc.) After those age groups, however, skill really begins to show and big guys often find themselves being dropped because they either don't have the fitness or they just are not as effective. I can take down people who are a good few inches taller than me and who are most likely a lot stronger with relative ease, because I can tackle effectively with good technique (I'm not bigging myself up or anything, just using it as an example).

When you get to the professional level and international, for example, what seperates New Zealand and the other teams? It isn't size or strength or speed. It is purely skill and natural talent. It is obvious to see if you watch them compared to other teams. Even when they play badly (compared to their normal level), they can still win and its not down to the other team playing worse.

Also look at the likes of Gio Aplon, Willy Le Roux and Jason Robinson. None of them are tall or big, but they are very, very good players.

Might do some of these, and venga may to, depends how people like them.

A question gets phrased and then you discuss it, I'll make them as split as possible so hopefully there's people on two sides...

Come at me

You can think it but at a professional level theres far more going on, if you followed it more you'd probably understand

I think professionals make rugby look easy...but I'm sure it's not. First of all the kicks, they might not seem to be to difficult but its a far distance, not as a big a target as you may think, the ball is a weird shape and there are lots of factors that affect it. I think another thing that highlights the fact that it requires skill is the number of different positions one can play. They must all have different techniques that can not be uptaken by just one player. Passing is also surprisingly difficult. You have to factor in the distance you are running, the distance the receiver is running, whether or not it is a good idea to pass, the timing is very important, you need spot on accuracy so your team mate doesnt have to slow down and so the opposition cant steal the ball. Some passes are also pretty long distance. There are also numerous tactics and set plays. The hardest thing however is probably working cooperatively as a team. I think it would be interesting to compare the skill level of rugby and American football players.

There's no question that top level rugby takes skill - I'm not saying if you put me against New Zealand I'd stomp them like I do in GO.

When you compare it to other sports, both at a noob and pro level, it doesn't look anything like the skill required for something like Tennis. Also think of the difference between the sportsmen - Novak Djokovic lives, breathes and eats tennis - they never get a break except for christmas - he cuts gluten out of his diet just to give him the slightest edge in a match. This sort of stuff I don't see from rugby professionals - may be wrong though.

Speaking of Djokovic - if we pick a random guy who hasn't played Tennis or Rugby (using tennis as an example as I see it as requiring a lot more skill) - let's say Landshark. Landshark vs Djokovic in a tennis match - he wouldn't get a single ball back, hit countless double faults, let alone win a single point. Put Landshark in an elite rugby match, I'm sure he'd be able to catch the ball a few times, pass it backwards and use some of his strength in a scrum right? Of course he'd get destroyed in both - and I'm not saying rugby requires no skill. Just having played all the sports a fair bit, it doesn't seem to require as much skill as the others - teamwork sure, but individually? No way.

Djokovic lives, breathes and eats tennis - they never get a break except for christmas - he cuts gluten out of his diet just to give him the slightest edge in a match. This sort of stuff I don't see from rugby professionals - may be wrong though.

Rugby players have an insane diet of carbs and protein to keep up their bulkiness. They are trying just as hard as Djokovic to improve their game in every way it just may be less clear or possible for them to do so.

Djokovic lives, breathes and eats tennis - they never get a break except for christmas - he cuts gluten out of his diet just to give him the slightest edge in a match. This sort of stuff I don't see from rugby professionals - may be wrong though.

Rugby players have an insane diet of carbs and protein to keep up their bulkiness. They are trying just as hard as Djokovic to improve their game in every way it just may be less clear or possible for them to do so.

I guess you get different positions in rugby, but whenever I seem to watch it a fair few of them look physically unfit. I guess they're just the scrum guys though.

There's no question that top level rugby takes skill - I'm not saying if you put me against New Zealand I'd stomp them like I do in GO.

When you compare it to other sports, both at a noob and pro level, it doesn't look anything like the skill required for something like Tennis. Also think of the difference between the sportsmen - Novak Djokovic lives, breathes and eats tennis - they never get a break except for christmas - he cuts gluten out of his diet just to give him the slightest edge in a match. This sort of stuff I don't see from rugby professionals - may be wrong though.

Speaking of Djokovic - if we pick a random guy who hasn't played Tennis or Rugby (using tennis as an example as I see it as requiring a lot more skill) - let's say Landshark. Landshark vs Djokovic in a tennis match - he wouldn't get a single ball back, hit countless double faults, let alone win a single point. Put Landshark in an elite rugby match, I'm sure he'd be able to catch the ball a few times, pass it backwards and use some of his strength in a scrum right? Of course he'd get destroyed in both - and I'm not saying rugby requires no skill. Just having played all the sports a fair bit, it doesn't seem to require as much skill as the others - teamwork sure, but individually? No way.

Most sports on a school lvl dont require much skill. It's just where you are talented in. I mean If you're small fast and you don't got two left feet you will probably be better in football than 60 procent in your class. It's not good to compare sports on school level. And It's not because you don't need that much of skills it is easily playable. they do immense training for their bodies where I dont think a person who tennis does the same. as last I would prefer anyday to play a tennis match against a pro player then join a profesional rugby match. Because atleast I'm sure I'm not going to die while playing tennis. ^^

Most sports on a school lvl dont require much skill. It's just where you are talented in. I mean If you're small fast and you don't got two left feet you will probably be better in football than 60 procent in your class. It's not good to compare sports on school level. And It's not because you don't need that much of skills it is easily playable. they do immense training for their bodies where I dont think a person who tennis does the same. as last I would prefer anyday to play a tennis match against a pro player then join a profesional rugby match. Because atleast I'm sure I'm not going to die while playing tennis. ^^

I mostly agree with this, and also to develop it further - rugby or other sports, perhaps in your first years I agree - but I know many mates who develop their parts of their body and work out specifically for rugby, hence there are lots of elements of effort/work involved. This is by year 10/11 standard and although yes, the bigger people who don't train ruby > the smaller people who don't do rugby, there are a couple of individuals in our year who are far from the biggest and yet their technique and game knowledge makes them a key player in a rugby team.

My only slight disagreement with sjnok, a Tennis player could be just as deadly as if one of their serves or returns hits you at full pace in the head it could easily knock you out at the least due to the speed that it is hitting you at. I know at times it seems it is one of the bullshit sayings which teachers say - but in rugby it's honestly the harder you go in the less painful it is (with the exception of not getting involved in the game at all).

Though reading through this I feel as if this subject has been worn thin, next topic? xo

My only slight disagreement with sjnok, a Tennis player could be just as deadly as if one of their serves or returns hits you at full pace in the head it could easily knock you out at the least due to the speed that it is hitting you at. I know at times it seems it is one of the bullshit sayings which teachers say - but in rugby it's honestly the harder you go in the less painful it is (with the exception of not getting involved in the game at all).

Though reading through this I feel as if this subject has been worn thin, next topic? xo

that is true but I meant it more in a way that a tennis player doesn't want me to touch the ball so he slams them away from me. If I got the ball in rugby they want to take me down :p