Sign in to follow this  
HoneyMuffin

AdBlocker is going big?

Recently the maker of Adblocker, the extension that blocks adverts on pages, has announced that he wants to make his work known worldwide so everyone knows about it's existence. I know a lot of you use adblocker I do myself but have it turned off for certian Youtubers or Streamers. In my opinion if he gets the money he requires to make it go big to everyone then all the websites that we know and love will struggle, Youtube and Twitch being the ones I think of, these websites live off of adverts and what of the people who make a living from videos or streaming.

It is said that 60%( Most likely false, Over 10million people have downloaded the free version ) of Youtuber users already use adblocker, that's already a massive blow to people who make good content and try to make a living. Don't forget this may affect a lot of websites and some may disappear from the lack of money.

Just want to know your guys opinions on this subject and what you think of it?

http://blog.chkilroy.com/post/36918679935 read this for a better explanation of why it's bad.

Edited by Guest

60% just cannot be right at all. The vast majority of youtube browsers are casuals that have likely never even heard of adblocker

Yeah from what I've read it's like 4%, I disable ads on a few websites that don't accept donations but apart from that I use it all the time. They're starting to advertise the adblock "this'll be the last ad you'll ever see" which is pretty funny

Since June it's blocked 60k+ ads for me, which is an insane number

then all the websites that we know and love will struggle, Youtube and Twitch being the ones I think of, these websites live off of adverts and what of the people who make a living from videos or streaming.

google_q303_10.16.2008_610x537.png

then all the websites that we know and love will struggle, Youtube and Twitch being the ones I think of, these websites live off of adverts and what of the people who make a living from videos or streaming.

google_q303_10.16.2008_610x537.png

But if this ad thing goes big then that will go down enough for Google to actually care, they introduced the ads years ago but before that were they even struggling with money, of course they weren't, they just wanted a way to make much much more. Take away a percentage of that and it won't go down well.

Consider the trend to have continued

Google are seriously, seriously rich, it won't knock them. Besides, the fact IE is so widely used is complete evidence that few users will embrace adblock as it requires a tiny amount of searching and installation

Consider the trend to have continued

Google are seriously, seriously rich, it won't knock them. Besides, the fact IE is so widely used is complete evidence that few users will embrace adblock as it requires a tiny amount of searching and installation

4bLDp.png

4bLE3.png

4bLF5.png

4bLFK.png

To be fair, this is likely to do with the rise in popularity of laptops such as Chromebooks etc in very recent times, but still. That's a large %. My mum uses Chrome and she barely knows how to turn her computer on; she "just heard it was really good". And the statistics could well have been taken from a tech site or a computer savvy site or something rather than just Google, so who really knows.

I will continue to use AdBlock in the same way I will continue to pirate certain types of movies and music. If I like it and agree with it, I'll buy it. If I like the site and the ads are not obtrusive, I will disable AdBlock.

Okay, I'll concede this, chrome is more popular. But I still say adblocker is not as common to be a threat to the gigantic websites (and it's a great program, too.)

600px-Usage_share_of_web_browsers_%28Source_StatCounter%29.svg.png

Thought this was interesting, too. Green is chrome, blue is IE, yellow is firefox - this is a map of most widely used browser in these regions

Countries_by_most_used_web_browser_%28update%29.svg

I just really don't care at all about youtubers or anything, I'm going to keep using ad block.

Big Youtubers who moan about people using adblock piss me the fuck off, they make videos for a fucking living how can they moan when they're doing that

I just really don't care at all about youtubers or anything, I'm going to keep using ad block.

Big Youtubers who moan about people using adblock piss me the fuck off, they make videos for a fucking living how can they moan when they're doing that

Yeh the big Yotubers who get money from idiots watching there videos don't deserve this, but people who make good content and what not deserve it a lot more.