Sign in to follow this  
Doomblade94

My First Dual Mix

Did Doomblade3890 do a decent job mashing these covers together?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Did Doomblade3890 do a decent job mashing these covers together?

• Yes
    • No

If you're a fan of the Undertale soundtrack, you've probably heard some of the fan-made remixes and covers on YouTube. One such user, iwannabethecollector, has taken things a step further and taken the original Undertale OST and made a "dual mix" with some fan-made covers.

So I thought to myself, "Hey, if someone can make a song better by layering two covers in Audacity (or some other audio editing program) then why can't I do it? It's easy, right? Just layer the two songs on top of each other and presto!"

As it turns out, it's not as easy as it looks. On top of syncing the songs up from the get-go (because some of them start a few seconds later than the other), a lot of the time you have to make adjustments to the tempo of one of the covers to prevent desync issues. Plus, you have to make sure the two covers work well together. One of my favorite Undertale tracks is "Hopes and Dreams/Save the World", so I took the original song by Toby Fox and mashed it up with String Player Gamer's cover with some of Rush Garcia's orchestrated version. This whole thing took several hours to put together, in terms of getting the first two songs, then finding a third to accompany them that worked well. I also had to spend a lot of time fixing the syncing and tempo, and even now it still isn't 100% perfect. Still, I believe it's in pretty good shape.

Hey,

Nice mix overall, not a big fan of the original pieces tbh but you've mixed them well and they work together. Only a couple of things really stood out to me:

1. About 2/3 of the way through the songs start to desync (especially prominent at 3:25)

2. There are a couple places where the dynamics feel a bit off, for example at 2:53 the instruments drop off for a drum fill but the drums are pretty quiet, then there's a weird crescendo after which imo doesn't sound good. That will just be because the fill is only in one version, so you can just boost the volume of that section then drop it back to normal to fix it.

3. At 0:54 the bass feels way too strong for me, while it's good to have that 'chunky' backing, it makes the section muddy and (for me at least) a bit uncomfortable to listen to.

But apart from those, great job man!

Hope you do some more projects in the future :)