Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Headsets

People might call me picky but I've gone through so many headsets and i got really sick of them.

You either get a headset with stellar mic quality but they lack in the sound output area, or vise-versa. Shit mic but great sound output.

My final headset was that one you linked, but in red.

It started to crack around the hinges from basic wear and tear after a month.

Ended up ripping it to bits for parts.

So i thought screw it, got myself a nice pair of Sennheiser £70 headphones (Forget the model) and a Blue Snowball mic.

Music and in-game sounds are fantastic and very crisp from the Sennheiser's, while people complain in TS that my Snowball mic is almost too good.

The mic has 3 settings with varying sensitivity for various uses:

1. I believe one's for voice, designed for the mic to be positioned right next to your mouth. Eliminates all sound in the room besides your direct voice.

2. The next is designed for solo instrument recording - this is the setting i use mostly - It takes more sound from the room you're in.

Using this second setting means i can have the mic out of the way of my arms, keyboard, mouse etc, but still pick up my voice as if my mouth is directly in front of the mic. I keep it stood at the back of my desk out of the way.

3. I believe the third is for conference recording. This setting allows everyone in TS to hear almost everything that's going on in my house and on the streets outside. It's pretty sensitive.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear me taking a shit downstairs.

A neat feature of these headphones is it comes with two detachable cables. One short and one rather long.

I've tacked the long one permanently to the underside of my desk and around the back to my PC so it doesn't get in the way of my arms or feet.

The short one i use for my laptop and mobile when i listen to music.

I suppose headsets are fine if you've a tight budget and don't mind the compromise, but in the search for e̶l̶i̶t̶i̶s̶m̶ perfection, I've found buying headphones and a standalone mic separately is the way to go.

EDIT:

Sennheiser HD419

My previous headphones lasted years. Amazing sound for the small price. Dead comfy too. May seem a little plasticky at first but honestly the build quality is top notch.

Sennheiser HD439

My current headphones. Good upgrade from the 419's.

Blue Snowball (White)

My mic. Although, the aluminium version was on sale when i got mine.

EDIT EDIT:

Oh and i've never had a good experience with USB Amplified headsets. Always so much noise.

Edited by Guest

Gamecom 780, best headset for under 50 quid

Friend of mine used to run a gaming café, all his machines used those and i was quite impressed.

I remember them slipping off my ears though. Maybe i just have an oddly shaped head.

I used to have the G430 but when I did get it, I was an absolute noob when it came to headsets so I had no clue about it.

Basically when I got it, the sound was literally effed up in every way. Surround sound wouldn't work properly, stereo would sound like those announcements you hear at the airport (inaudible) but it was extremely comfy and the mic was quite good.

So yeah I returned it because I thought it was because my PC didn't have a sound card as my PC is literally ancient so I was like well meh gotta get a different one.

I have Astro A50 best headsett i have been using. . And i have been using over 30 headsett since 2011 :)

30 headsets in 4 years? That speaks volumes about the them...

I second Iszuka's recommendation about a separate headphone/microphone combo. Although I have gone for an ultimately shit microphone (some £3 USB mini mic from Amazon that plugs into the back of my keyboard) I have Audio Technica M50X headphones that are absolutely fantastic and are built to last. I use them every single day at my computer and also to and from work. They're very comfortable and the quality of sound is second to none compared to anything else I've tried under £300.

I know that's over your budget but the idea is solid; there are plenty of proper headphones out there that will allow you much better sound and build quality than the equivalent price of a headset. There are also microphones for less than £10 which actually sound reasonable.

I have Astro A50 best headsett i have been using. . And i have been using over 30 headsett since 2011 :)

30 headsets in 4 years? That speaks volumes about the them...

Yes but that becouse of pool quality xD now i buy quality and good sound and mic :) have been using A50 for some times now and Come to that is the best headsett with mic i ever had :)

So if you guys were on teamspeak earlier my mic wasn't working, therefore i need a new one, my budget is <£60, so post good headsets below i am thinking of getting the one Josh OG uses, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Surrou ... dset&psc=1

It's a good headset in my opinion I use it to.

I use http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonexd2-53/ for Djing and Music stuff. VERY BAD FOR GAMING!(Well it's not that bad, but fps games are not good in sound delivery).

Due to leaving in a very low GDP country, I got these for about the equivalent of 80 pounds. Looking at amazon they are about 200 USD which is very strange for me.

However my previous phillips headset(for gaming and other stuff) broke very mysteriously, so I will surly be getting steelseries v3 after i get the scholarship money :D

And they are about 50 euros or 34 pounds.

P.S: Want to give shoutout to a4tech's HS200, they lasted me 3 good years until the microphone broke and one of the earpads stopped registering sound. They costed around 25 pounds when I bought them

I second Iszuka's recommendation...

Aw cheers bbe

I have Audio Technica M50X headphones that are absolutely fantastic and are built to last.

I nearly got some of those myself! But pussied out and stuck to what i know. And i know Sennheiser are pretty awesome all round.