Sign in to follow this  
Twiixtor

Help: Rebuilding PC Area

So basically I have made out a list of components to completely rebuild my PC area as my current setup is straight up ANCIENT.

I do not want the top of the line stuff as I will probably not be able to afford it.

I'm aiming for around $1.5k - $2k as you can see from the link at the bottom of this thread.

I am planning on getting this money by finding a summer job for my 3 month holiday after I'm finish my Leaving Cert as current I am too lazy to get a weekend job.

I know my current list of stuff is rusty as hell and there are A LOT of improvements to be made.

I am pretty sure about the Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor but the rest is just random shit I found on "tutorial" websites.

Anyway here is the link: YEEEEEEEEEEEY LINK

Please make it the best it can be for the price and spare me hours of pointless research as I am not well educated on this stuff :yay:

Or you know just laugh at me for being bad at this... LEL

Why the fuck would you pick an i3? NO. i7, but ill let you off with an i5. Only just though.

That GFX, PogChamp!

HDD, Id recommend a 128gb SSD to run the OS, a couple programs and a couple steam games (like CSGO). Then a 500gb or 1TB HDD. You can re-point locations in windows settings so the music folder points to the HDD, not the SSD. Same with steam games.

Just got the headset part. Headset 2 and upgrade the CPU.

Why the fuck would you pick an i3? NO. i7, but ill let you off with an i5. Only just though.

That GFX, PogChamp!

HDD, Id recommend a 128gb SSD to run the OS, a couple programs and a couple steam games (like CSGO). Then a 500gb or 1TB HDD. You can re-point locations in windows settings so the music folder points to the HDD, not the SSD. Same with steam games.

Just got the headset part. Headset 2 and upgrade the CPU.

Ohh so can I have steam installed on the HDD for example but still have CS:GO installed on the SSD?

I built my pc with i3 and gtx690, and I'm having no trouble running pre-2012 games. I could run crysis 3 on ultra maxed out settings when I bought my configuration because of the GPU and planned to upgrade my cpu to i7 after I finish with university. However I do know that the motherboard will be a pain in the "arse" because it was a budget config.

Even streaming on 1080p30fps is pretty solid for my cpu, and to this day I just had issues with power allocation because the PSU would give the cpu too much power and defunct it, needed to change some circuitry and reroute the power to the fan which keeps me cool in the summer lol

This configuration from my point is pretty okay, I gave like 742 pounds for my config that included a gtx690 and a 16gb ram with a 700W PSU. And the whole price was taken by the massive gtx690 when i was buying it(at that time it was like a couple of months when it got released)

Edited by Guest

Ohh so can I have steam installed on the HDD for example but still have CS:GO installed on the SSD?

Ye. Or, have the OS on the SSD, have Steam and have CSGO on the SSD, then Documents, Music, Images, Videos etc on the HDD. Its what I do anyways.

PC Boots up in 4 seconds from the power button lmao, even after having it for ~6 months. Goes through the post / bios / os loading to my PIN login in 4-5 seconds.

I built my pc with i3 and gtx690, and I'm having no trouble running pre-2012 games. I could run crysis 3 on ultra maxed out settings when I bought my configuration because of the GPU and planned to upgrade my cpu to i7 after I finish with university. However I do know that the motherboard will be a pain in the "arse" because it was a budget config.

Even streaming on 1080p30fps is pretty solid for my cpu, and to this day I just had issues with power allocation because the PSU would give the cpu too much power and defunct it, needed to change some circuitry and reroute the power to the fan which keeps me cool in the summer lol

This configuration from my point is pretty okay, I gave like 742 pounds for my config that included a gtx690 and a 16gb ram with a 700W PSU. And the whole price was taken by the massive gtx690 when i was buying it(at that time it was like a couple of months when it got released)

My PC is a i7-4790, 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ran, geforce 750, 128gb ssd & 1tb hdd and a gigabyte motherboard (cant remember model off top of le head). it originally didn't have the HDD and had 4gb ram. PC was £550 pre-built, 1TB 7.2k RPM hard drive, brand new, was like £45? Then swapped the 16gb ram from my old PC to my new. So that didn't cost me anything would of been ~£100 in changes.

The thing with motherboards. If the socket you want the new CPU upgrading to has the same socket type, then happy days. But, in most cases, this isnt possible at all, which means you waste ~£100-£200 on a new board for the CPU, when the CPU is ~£150 on its own.

If youre looking to upgrade yourself, check to see if your board can fit an i7. If not, new board, i7 & new GFX (970 GTX would be good, ~£250). However the 690 isnt the worlds worst..

I can justt about pull 1080p 60fps when streaming with a bit of lag. 30 fps without any issues. However i just sit at 720p 30fps. Not a bad PC youve built anyways :)

EDIT: soz on double post. 'Its fine dont worry' ok ty :grin1:

Well I'm not upgrading my gpu anyway, it's guaranteed to run games up to 2014 with maxed out settings, only the cpu bottlenecks with some newer games, and streaming takes a turn only then.

Maybe if I fully commit into quality streaming for 4k60fps (I have a 4k tv monitor that is cupcake for streaming 4k stuff), I'll get a titan. But I imagine that pretty deep in the future.

I imagine just 150 pounds on a new cpu with maybe a motherboard that can fit with i7, gtx690 can go on any motherboard and the other components can just be rehashed for the same price. (the retail company can just replace older parts with newer parts due to price changes :D )

Well I'm not upgrading my gpu anyway, it's guaranteed to run games up to 2014 with maxed out settings, only the cpu bottlenecks with some newer games, and streaming takes a turn only then.

Maybe if I fully commit into quality streaming for 4k60fps (I have a 4k tv monitor that is cupcake for streaming 4k stuff), I'll get a titan. But I imagine that pretty deep in the future.

I imagine just 150 pounds on a new cpu with maybe a motherboard that can fit with i7, gtx690 can go on any motherboard and the other components can just be rehashed for the same price. (the retail company can just replace older parts with newer parts due to price changes :D )

Not a bad idea for a swap of old for new with some money in it too. Youve defo got enough RAM and Watts, as mine is sitting at 500W. GLHF on that changeover ;D

As for Twiix's build, the changes I mentioned about, consider it. Unless anyone else has a better idea??

Use this website: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Used it to build mine. It also helps with compatibility, so if your motherboard doesn't support a certain part, it will say.

Thanks man. I should shove all my stuff in there. :)

Motherboard - ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2000 AMD AM3+

CPU - Intel Core i5-4460

Error: The motherboard is not compatible with the selected CPU!

Yeah that's kinda the whole point of me making this post as I am not educated enough with this. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Any suggestions as to which motherboard I should choose?

If the list on that pcpartpicker link in the google doc is the most recent link, i would do the following:

Do you really want to overclock?

You dont need to overclock these days, it's only fun when u do alot of video editing. Just save money and go for a i5-6400 or 6500

If u gonna save on ur CPU, u can also look for a cheaper motherboard with a B150 or H170 chipset, as they will peform evenly fine.

Remember that the CPU is not the bottleneck these days.

What i REALLY recommend is switching out your power supply.

That seasonic is a bit aged over the past years, and does not support the C6 and C7 power states that the new intel skylake needs, what basically can end up in killing ur CPU/motherboard.

Go for a cooler master GM series, or if u want more reliability a corsair RMx series, or a seasonic G-series. They are known as good PSU's.

The rest of the build seems fine to me. A thing u also can do is switch out the R9 390 for a GTX 970.

Actually nothing is wrong with the 390, but it is known that they draw way more power and produce more heat. Also, nvidia has better drivers and support imo.

At 1080p, what u screen is, u will find no diffrence in performance. If u had like a 4k screen, u might have a few fps more with the 390.

Just depends on what u want. They are both solid cards