Sign in to follow this  
Skeff

save surf

So i know that many people are opposed to surf even some of the admin, i've seen multiple posts saying things like

"remove surf"

"delete surf, get minigames" (before we had mg)

Personally i dont like the idea of surf being removed because its a game play i enjoy and it brought me closer into the community. So i thought i'd suggest some things that could help populate it at certain times, which could help populate it in a wider timescale.

Ranks:

The rank system is currently not really something to bother about, we have had a few random resets.

If every 1 or 3 months we reset the ranks, and gave the top 3 players (top 5 if there were a lot of people playing) the reward of OB champ (or maybe a new surf champ group)

Events:

As far as i am aware there had only been 1 surf event, that happened back in February. unfortunately i missed it but everyone seemed to enjoy it. Also events in general seem (to me) a bit random when they are on.

I'm not too sure how the events are arranged but i think 1 in 4 events could be surf, so every so often we can have a surf event, these events could range from:

Instant respawn - kill as much as possible

Team deathmatch - best team wins

Skill - fastest to complete a skill map wins the map. fastest overall on all the event maps wins the event (best out of 5 maps, 3 or 5 games per map)

Just to add, especially on the skill event you'll need to make sure you have all the maps downloaded before you join

Maps:

I know there is a few posts on the surf forum about maps, but we need to look at all the maps and chose the best maps for us. Personally i enjoy linear maps but i know thats not really what we want on the server, so i'm willing to ignore some awesome maps because they dont fit the server.

All the maps that the server should have should lie within a few boundaries here are a few suggests:

Arena style - can see from one side of the map to the other & can shoot from the sides (bigloop)

Surf ability - for a beginner surfer they can easily surf down to a few weapons and for more experienced surfers they can use teleports/boosts/ramps to get speed and direction to get to more powerful weapons (buck wild)

Glitches - there should be no glitches on the map, or at least if there are, they dont affect the game much.

Secrets - I love secrets in maps, simple things like on thriller there is a code to open the awp area, buck wild has the car (and other) rooms.

Failing - When you fall off the ramp, do you die or do you get put into the jail? Personally i prefer jail because you get a chance, and if you are a beginner it's good to get a chance just to no fail again

Jail - If there is a jail, what type is it. can you escape by your self? How easy is an escape? can people open it for you? How big is the jail? is the jail prone to be a camping hot spot? legends has a nice example of a jail you can escape, or people can open for you. it has a large arena which is prone to being camped and good secret areas to help kill people in jail/open jail/get weapons

Other - what else do we enjoy? is it a map that everyone is forced to use awps? is it a map that you need shotguns?

Skill - Do we really want skill surf maps on the server? if so how will that affect the rank system?

Map votes & groups

This was a previous idea i had and i'd still be good even if all the maps were looked into and sorted out

http://www.outbreak-community.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3382

So in a way i am asking 4 questions/have 4 requests

Is surf going to go? If not can the admins that are in charge please do this

Can the community admins(guessing Gaz or prox could do that) reset ranks & add champion groups for the winners?

Can the event team (not too sure who is in charge of that) set up the odd surf event?

Can the map team (I think sir conor is in charge of that) just look at all the maps and ask us to suggest maps within a certain specification in order for us to enjoy the server and to keep the rank system in a good standing (skill maps for example mean that surfers get the kills and the good killers could get less, also maps with no jail, like skyworld, kill you when you fail. does that affect your rank?)

TDLR

Just some suggestions to help the surf server which include an active rank system, adding surf events and checking the maps

Edit:

yes i'm in the mood for keen bean surfing

Edited by Guest

From what I can see you have three servers which at optimum times are hovering around mediocre population.

The community here is populated enough to sustain two servers and it'd be wise to have two (unless OB can easily support three, I have no idea what the donation income is nowadays)

Obviously keep PB, which is the community backbone - and then MG would be the next best bet.

History tells us that MG is more popular than surf, it usually has more players and people stay on for longer (unless some bad map kills it) - reason being the variation in the maps, and it allows more skills to be exposed and more players to play.

So if you're looking for a server to go... surf.

ITT

4x92.jpg

inb4 bad taste

There is no upper class of OB.

In seriousness though surf shouldn't be closed its a server like the other clans of CSS have that the regular players swap between, people who actively play blaze,tmf and hell don't always just stick to their servers they swap about due to the map they enjoy or dislike. If more people knew about OB surf they would regularly swap between the servers.

You miss the point that the other servers suffer in population due to the fact there are three. It's better to have two servers with 20+ people on them than three with 10 each.

People do know about surf, all you have to do is type !servers then you can swap to it, and i presume there is an in game notice telling you you can do it

You miss the point that the other servers suffer in population due to the fact there are three. It's better to have two servers with 20+ people on them than three with 10 each.

People do know about surf, all you have to do is type !servers then you can swap to it, and i presume there is an in game notice telling you you can do it

Well surf doesn't take any players away at all. It's mostly Minigames that has the most players and then JB. Usually have 10 on each though due to the amount of people we have.

You seem to think that if there was no surf, anyone who'd play on surf would play on jb or mg but i'd say that the surf server has a few individuals that dont even go on jb or mg, whereas with jb and mg most people are happy to switch between the two.

This isnt a debate whether or not to keep surf, this was meant to be some suggestions to help it gain more players. whether or not it was going to be closed

I agree with Lewis, this is always how we have been operating. It may also be best to close minigames until JB becomes popular again (or the other way around, close JB and keep MG). Either way we need to FOCUS on the one server and forget about the other two. It is seriously a no brainer....

And if we lose like 1-2 people because surf goes then so be it.