Sign in to follow this  
Professor

Science!

Was just looking around doing some general research when I found this guy on youtube explain a LFTR perfectly where a text book does it in like 8 pages. Also I thought it was really interesting so I thought I might share and see what you guys think. Enjoy!

I feel more confident that we won't all just nuke each other over fossil fuel within the next 30 years now. :)

You say that but whenever we find some magic solution like this, such as renewable resources, we are so reluctant to change unless we have a cheap way to make a lot of energy quickly that shows people what this technology can do. Not comparing this to renewable energy in anyway though. This is based on pretty solid stuff that's never been exposed like this before. But as always we won't be so keen to change from fossil fuels or even nuclear fission.

But hey. With a mixture of use with Nuclear fission, fusion, renewables, hydrogen and thorium I reckon we've got a good run on earth without fossil fuels.

Only thing is. Thorium is not a renewable resource and will also eventually run out. Sad times.

there is in interesting video also on power but on harnessing passive magnet conductance and energy gained from many different types of machines that can supply energy, it obviously isn't to the extent of Th but can still give options for non-nuclear greenbo's and their worries.

To be honest, large oil companies are making way too much money to worry about a longterm energy solution right now.

Once that dries up, and they focus on being the first to find a renewable energy source, i can't imagine it would take that long.

'Bout time we got a science thread going.

there is in interesting video also on power but on harnessing passive magnet conductance and energy gained from many different types of machines that can supply energy, it obviously isn't to the extent of Th but can still give options for non-nuclear greenbo's and their worries.

Got a link to said video or you gonna make me research it all myself?

<3

I feel more confident that we won't all just nuke each other over fossil fuel within the next 30 years now. :)

You say that but whenever we find some magic solution like this, such as renewable resources, we are so reluctant to change unless we have a cheap way to make a lot of energy quickly that shows people what this technology can do. Not comparing this to renewable energy in anyway though. This is based on pretty solid stuff that's never been exposed like this before. But as always we won't be so keen to change from fossil fuels or even nuclear fission.

But hey. With a mixture of use with Nuclear fission, fusion, renewables, hydrogen and thorium I reckon we've got a good run on earth without fossil fuels.

Only thing is. Thorium is not a renewable resource and will also eventually run out. Sad times.

As you probably will agree on the cheap 'factor' isn't the only thing that will prevent people from changing. It's also peoples current knowledge towards this stuff. If we look at the amount of people like 'Fluxy' and asks them if they want to change how things are going on right now and you explain it to them like the guy in the video... they won't understand a thing and will probably say no.

And Tiny's got a point when it comes to the longterm energy solution. A lot of people probably don't care because it won't effect them at all. Which is in my opinion is a bit sad.

But that's just the way it is.

So I guess it's a race. Which will cross the finishing line?

A) Innovative triumph, a testament to the human spirit and the enduring ability of human will to forge peace and progress out of challenging situations

B) Human stupidity, followed by likely thermo-nuclear war or conventional war with low-level WMDs deployed

Bets are open. 1/50 for A. We'd better get YOLOing. But really, I'd hope that as economic pressures build, especially in developing economies (India is already seriously investigating H2O run cars due to fuel costs), there will be increased demand for such a sort of energy, combined with increased investment as nations like Brazil, China and India start flexing their economic muscle, even if they may need to pump that money into western research institutions.

tl;dr people are dicks but hopefully everything will work out okay