Sign in to follow this  
IrishChamp

An Open Letter to Sir_Conor

@Sir_Conor it's a pain to quote separate paragraphs via phone so I'll just respond in without quoting your message.

1. I didn't necessarily expect an approval. I wanted a response on why you don't think this is a good idea. As proven by this thread, it's really not possible to get a serious discussion going without people purposely changing topic and derailing conversation, so I stand by my decision of not making a topic discussing this. Looking back, a PM to you may have been a better way to suggest the matter. 

2. I was never informed of my event cooldown and tbh I half believed you would make me sit out the next league/rocket league tournament seeing as I rarely play CSGO and you may not have seen that tournament as one relevant to me. (Another way of putting this is say a member who wait league got a tournament style event ban and a league tournament came along. Is it really serving a punishment if you wouldn't have taken part in the first place?) 

I felt as if I was going behind your back because although I saw you were constantly online on forums, you weren't opening the message and you might have kept me on the list. (Also I assume you're the one who put me there in the first place).

3. I can respect that you don't want to gain a reputation as a Nazi admin who Snipes anything controversial off forums (which was the fate of poor Substick for his moderation) but I think a clear set of rules need to be set. It's not like people in OB lack the ability to be civil on forums. It's a mob mentality where if you see one person shitposting and baiting and not getting punished, everybody will do it. I'm not even going to deny I've done it in the past.

Maybe introduce an option to tag threads as [Serious] (in a reddit-esque way). It's really not ideal having to specifically mark when you want your thread to be free from shitposts but if that's what it takes to get a decent discussion on the forums.

You could really just lay out some basic rules, and bring back warning points for violations. Just please offer some mechanism where we can have threads where people will get punished for ruining them/not following the rules set out in the thread. 

E.g. @Jak makes a thread and lays out the rules saying "Describe your favourite movie and guess that of the people above you". Anyone who just describes a movie gets their post removed, simple as that. Not suggesting a punishment in this case, but just introducing some quality control on forums.

TL;DR: Make a few rules, allow for serious threads, clean up forums pls.

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate you putting thought and effort into your response. I hope you'll take on board some of my suggestions.