Sign in to follow this  
Simon

[Quest] AFK Killer + Point_ServerCommand

Hi guys!

1. Is a trigger_hurt in cells (which fires after a certain amount of time and kills the cell campers) fair enough? If no, what else can be done to prevent cell campers from a mappers side, if yes then what should that certain time be?

2. When using point_servercommand and adding output "say lorem ipsum", will this work in a server or should I use "sm_hsay lorem ipsum"?

Thanks!

Making it possible to close the cells, if you can't close the cells cellcamping is more frequent. People know they'll be able to get away (think Avalanche). But if you can simply close the cell there literally is no point in cell camping.

Making it possible to close the cells, if you can't close the cells cellcamping is more frequent. People know they'll be able to get away (think Avalanche). But if you can simply close the cell there literally is no point in cell camping.

There are always few who are AFK, and yeah the cells can be closed.

Does 5 minutes sound good? (19:00 on the server)

There are a few issues with AFK killers. For example there has been many times CTs have very slow, have had issues, and the Ts stay in the cells for over 5mins.

If you are adding an AFK timer either make sure it is triggered after the doors open and/or add a free day timer so that the doors open after X amount of time. Most maps use 1 minute but personally I think 2-2.5 is better, however I'm yet to add this any maps because I felt that it rushes the CTs too much, however it's better to open the cells sooner than later.

I like the concept that minecraft has but that appears to encourage cell camping even more so. If you add a freeday timer then make sure it is cancelled when the doors are opened. Also my advice is don't add gun cells because thats one real reason why CTs don't open cells.

And for the pointserver commands I'm a little unsure. On CSS the say command worked fine. I put many buttons around Soar with say commands to explain the games, they worked fine when I played offline with bots/no bots but on the server they don't work. If you can find any maps on the server that have this working then great but if not then just give sm_hsay a try, if it doesn't work then it doesn't work, if it works then :yay:

It seems people don't like to edit maps without map makers permission which is the problem, which is why we still have that huge cunting error sign on Dubai, the map needs removing or fixing imo.

Yeah that map definitely needs fixing and this reminds me to add decompile protectors to the map. But how is this related to the post :grin1:

If you are adding an AFK timer either make sure it is triggered after the doors open

What if it got activated 5 minutes after the cell doors close, after they have been opened once to call players out?

add a free day timer so that the doors open after X amount of time. Most maps use 1 minute but personally I think 2-2.5 is better, however I'm yet to add this any maps because I felt that it rushes the CTs too much, however it's better to open the cells sooner than later.

I like the concept that minecraft has but that appears to encourage cell camping even more so. If you add a freeday timer then make sure it is cancelled when the doors are opened. Also my advice is don't add gun cells because thats one real reason why CTs don't open cells.

What if the doors only open automatically if no one opens them for 2 minutes?

And for the pointserver commands I'm a little unsure. On CSS the say command worked fine. I put many buttons around Soar with say commands to explain the games, they worked fine when I played offline with bots/no bots but on the server they don't work. If you can find any maps on the server that have this working then great but if not then just give sm_hsay a try, if it doesn't work then it doesn't work, if it works then :yay:

The VooDoo map by Kriss uses the "say lorem ipsum" thing but it doesn't work on the server, and I can't try sm_hsay without installing SteamCMD then downloading CS:GO (4GiB) then downloading and installing SourceMod.

P.S. I am not at all lazy!!! My net is slow.....and maybe I am a bit lazy.

Thanks for the replies :smile1:

Yeah that map definitely needs fixing and this reminds me to add decompile protectors to the map. But how is this related to the post :grin1:

In my experience vmex won't decompile things with protection but bspsrc will. Personally I don't really see any reason to bother because if you have a fun feature then you'll want that fun in more maps, however if you're trying to make it a unique map then it may be a bit more of a pain.

What if it got activated 5 minutes after the cell doors close, after they have been opened once to call players out?

What if the doors only open automatically if no one opens them for 2 minutes?

The combination of these two will work well, however if the cell doors never close then Ts can still camp there.

Also you can give visual cues to show that people will die. So depending on the style of your map you could make the cells look like something dangerous. For example on a minecraft style map the cells could have TNT everywhere and they'll explode after a set period of time

The VooDoo map by Kriss uses the "say lorem ipsum" thing but it doesn't work on the server, and I can't try sm_hsay without installing SteamCMD then downloading CS:GO (4GiB) then downloading and installing SourceMod.

P.S. I am not at all lazy!!! My net is slow.....and maybe I am a bit lazy.

My guess is that sm_hsay will work on the server however it could probably mess up any server not using it. Depending on what you're trying to do I think you could achieve it in a different manor. For example rules for a game could be made on a custom texture.

1. No. Cell camping is allowed if there is a possible way to get out of the cell. Adding Trigger_hurt would just remove 1 way of a terrorist rebelling, in my opinion it should always be a Counter-Terrorists job to search the cells once the Terrorists have been move.

Frostie

Server Moderator

1. I don't think you should add a trigger_hurt. Instead what you could do is add some things which will make a light turn red/green depending if someone's in the cell or not. Red = cell empty, Green = cell has someone in it. If you think this idea is good I can go into more specifics, but I'd rather not if the idea isn't going to see the light of day :D.

2.Regarding the point_servercommand, I assume the 'lorem ipsum' is just a random phrase that would be said if you put that into console or something? because if it ain't then I got no clue what it is.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure both "say lorem ipsum" and "sm_hsay lorem ipsum" on their own won't work. I've never tried the first one, but for both I'm pretty sure since they're being used as a server command the console or w/e would be the one saying it, at which point your map needs special permissions. As far as I can tell server owners/people with FTP access or something can whitelist certain commands that a map is allowed to use.

As you can probably tell I'm not very knowledged in the topic, but from personal experience I can recommend you use an env_message. Give it a name, a message, tick for all players, and then have whatever you want to trigger it to 'showmessage' (I assume a trigger_multiple beside the game). This way I'm pretty sure you don't have to flaff about with serverside things.

EDIT: I assume this is to inform people on how certain games are played when you reach them, but I'm confident there'll be people who either don't read it or ask how to play it anyway, but there's no harm nonetheless.

1. I don't think you should add a trigger_hurt. Instead what you could do is add some things which will make a light turn red/green depending if someone's in the cell or not. Red = cell empty, Green = cell has someone in it. If you think this idea is good I can go into more specifics, but I'd rather not if the idea isn't going to see the light of day :D.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this won't match the theme of the map. Can this be done with env_fire instead of light?

...'lorem ipsum' ...

It is just a placeholder ;)

As you can probably tell I'm not very knowledged in the topic, but from personal experience I can recommend you use an env_message. Give it a name, a message, tick for all players, and then have whatever you want to trigger it to 'showmessage' (I assume a trigger_multiple beside the game). This way I'm pretty sure you don't have to flaff about with serverside things.

Thanks again :D

Yeah it can. Add a trigger_multiple in each cell and a env_fire wherever you want it outside of each cell. For the trigger multiple add an output of:

'OnStartTouch StartFire'

'OnEndTouchAll Extinguish'

or vise versa whether you want the fire on when people are in the cell, or off.

Bear in mind that fire is stoopid and this mightn't work (I'm looking at jb_mist here(its fire is almost never activated when it's meant to be))

1. No. Cell camping is allowed if there is a possible way to get out of the cell. Adding Trigger_hurt would just remove 1 way of a terrorist rebelling, in my opinion it should always be a Counter-Terrorists job to search the cells once the Terrorists have been move.

Frostie

Server Moderator

Depends on the map, rule needs changing imo.

Cell camping shouldn't be allowed whatsoever if you can't close cells.