Sign in to follow this  
VENGA BUS

Monitor Help

Hi guys,

I'm rankling for a new monitor. My old one is ancient, and i'll probably keep it to have one of those lame two-monitor set-ups, bu for games, I need a new one to get the most out of my graphic card.

Any ideas on a good modern, fairly cheap monitor? I'm looking in the £150-£200 range roughly, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks all xoxo

What's this one like?

WRONG SECTION OMD..... Suggestions and Questions Section.... For all tech issues

Anyway the thing with monitors:

That Dell one is IPS, so it looks really sharp and for still images and videos, it's gonna look great. You'll find the clarity of the colours of the IPS very nice. It's not so great for gaming, IPS technology naturally has a slower response time, which for gaming, is a crucial factor when playing FPSs.

You want a TN screen, basically a non IPS one. Which is practically every other one. Mine is TN. TN screens are still sharp as hell, but not razor sharp, their response times are far greater than IPS screens which makes them the perfect choice for gaming.

TL,DR

Go for the one that several people own.

Acer 24" Screen @ £123.89 from Amazon

The one that mintlou linked is pretty decent for the price.

I personally own this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S22B300 ... ds=monitor

It's a smaller size which would be ideal if you have a smallish desk and aiming for that 2 monitor setup in the future, which reminds me I need to work on that. This one also supports HDMI.

Choose either mine or mintlou's and you won't go far wrong.

If you're going for any hardcore gaming, and running a good graphics card, then it's good to look into the refresh rate of the screen. It sounds stupid, but i've found it really gives an edge on games like battlefield/arma etc. I got rid of my gaming screens, and run a few of these now: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/monitors ... rp-u2913wm

They're fantastic, but a wee bit pricy

Hi guys, I'm going with Mintlou's one. Took my sweet time about it though... It looks cheap and like a good, solid product.

However, what cables would I need for it? Graphics card is all HD and shit, but do I need DVI cable as well?

Apologies if I sound like a dog trying to give a science lecture - I really have no idea what I'm talking about...

Thanks again all. I'd be lost without the expertise of this fine forum. :)

Look for 'recently bought together' under the product, there you can buy a high quality DVI cable for cheap. Most, if not all monitors only come with a crappy VGA connector so you will need to buy DVI/HDMI seperately. But I believe that monitor isn't HDMI compatible, so a DVI connector is your best bet.