Sign in to follow this  
gaffeR

Random Question

As you all know im into my animals and my and my Girlfriends dad are looking to open a reptile breeding Pet Shop. we both have previous experience in breeding and rearing baby reptiles as well as general animals such as Hamsters, Rabbits and gerbils.

Just wondering if anyone knows if opening up a pet shop requires Qualifications,

if so we are wondering how much it would cost to get this qualification.

We've looked into it, but people are saying different things?

Got 6K Between us to set up, just wondering if we have to budget for a Qualification as well?

- Any help would be great.

Hey gaffer, Nice idea bro!

All I can think of is that you do need the qualifications, but thats just what I guess.

Have you already tried just calling an equal reptile shop, or just an regular pets place for some information? I bet Those people there can give you alot of information if you ask for the manager and tell him your plan.

Good luck with all mate

UK Law requires licensing to open up a pet shop, you cannot set one up without consent.

To the best of my knowledge, no qualification is required, but you must fulfil standards and fulfil certain requirements as set per your local council.

Information: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/14-15/35

Selling pets need to be kept healthy and all that shit, but the reason you hardly see pet shops is because people would much rather adopt a pet for free than have to pay someone, so all in all it wouldn't be worth it as all you're really going to be selling is items for pets rather than the actual animals, do thorough market research before making such an investment

Selling pets need to be kept healthy and all that shit, but the reason you hardly see pet shops is because people would much rather adopt a pet for free than have to pay someone, so all in all it wouldn't be worth it as all you're really going to be selling is items for pets rather than the actual animals, do thorough market research before making such an investment. And for that reason, I'm out.

Thank you dragon.

In response to Biggles' very fair point (as I know a good few families who do just that), my family, and a lot of families I've known, have always bought pets. That said, they're generally dogs of a pedigree or something. Not sure how it would roll for reptiles.

Best of luck though, Gaffer - but Biggles makes a good point. Check the market before sinking capital. xoxo

Hi Gaffer,

I can not offer any insights on the animal business other than ones you can find through the Internet. However, I do know a lot about business and in particular business start-up. Don't want to insult your intelligence, but if you need any help with other parts (ownership, business analysis, etc.) gimme a shout.