Sign in to follow this  
VENGA BUS

New computer purchasing - HALP

Hi y'all.

A quick story. Grandpa Venga Bus was once a young fgt, but now he's an old fgt, and technology he once used to know shitloads about, he no longer does. So please help Grandpa Fgt figure out what he should get with £800 for a friend to custom-build a gaming rig for him!

List of things dumbass grandpa needs expert advice on

Processor - what's pro/needed?

Motherboard

Gfx card - again, what's pro/needed?

RAM

HDD

Optional

Soundcard - required? Not up on this at all

Power supply

DVD drive

Case

Any suggestions irregardless of price are much appreciated, and be factored in and tinkered with in his budget. In his everlasting gratitude, Grandpa Paedobus will fondle your thigh under the dinner table at Christmas, and you can't say a thing because - hey: that's grandpa!

(Even if you don't have computer expertise, Grandpa Venga will paedo you anyway! :) )

Thanks ever so xoxoxoxo

p.s suggestions for individual components are very useful too, so need for a whole rig ensemble.

I suggest a nVidia geforce; the gtx 560 is pretty good. (It's reasonably high end, if you need a higher end one try the geforce gtx 660).

For processors a quad core would be reasonable, a 6-core is also advisable. If you want something really high-end an intel i7 3770k would be good, a cheaper alternative would be the i7 2700k.

4 Mb of ram should be enough.

For a hard drive 516 Gb should be enough, if he needs a lot of space for music and films, 1 Tb should be fine (don't get too much, fatal mistake)

Motherboards, I have no idea.

If I get can get a branded laptop for with specs for 800

I7 quad core

GT 650M 2 GB DDR5 ram

8 GB DDR3 Ram

750 GB hardrive

then you could easily get a lot more bang for your buck with a custom built.

what i recommend

i7 quad core

Nvidia GTX 650 (might be a bit pricy though)

around 8 GB ram seems to be good for most stuff but I think Tiny is the man who knows his shit on RAM

Good soundcards make music a joy to listen too, the soundcard in my laptop is a THX one and the dubstep is fucking mint but they aren't essential I don't think

DVD drives seem kinda obsolete tbh but I use mine for some stuff, good to have

I had a galaxy case on my old desktop, it has pretty blue lights if your into that stuff

Powersupply- I MAY be wrong but I think mine was 650W seems to have worked fine

Just avoid AMD, anyone who owns AMD should toefuck themselves.

AMD are good processors if you are trying to keep within a tight budget. I have Intel so yah... Used to have AMD, never any issues, they are cheap. I know a guy who swears by them, nutcase. He thinks that 8 cores is better than 4 cores that work better.

But with 800 squid you could get

Intel I7 : Around £300

I'd have 8GB of good RAM, more if you feel the need, Corsair : £50

1 x 250gb SSD, OCZ are best : £120

1 x 1TB HDD, WD or Segate are good : £75

Optical drive : £15

Motherboard, obviously one compatible with your CPU socket : £90

A Good PSU, Never buy cheap :£60

Case, varies around £30 - Silly money

And whatever's left buys you a graphics card - Don't spend more that about £200 - £250 at a push for a GPU, otherwise you are a complete muppet. The depreciation for GPU's is ridiculous, within 6- 12 months the prices of £400 cards is like £250. Tiny is a fool.

Total: 940 :/ <-- A bit more than bargained for, but That's off the top of my head. I'm sure you can compromise, such as removing the SSD Which would make it £820 and if you had a GTX 650 Ti ,that is less than £150 I think. So, you would get a PC for under £800

Right lads this is what i suggest.

Case: any that fits this shit in and has good air flow.

Motherboards: Asus P8H77-M PRO (Great Mother board you can keep good control of the case fans with it).

Graphics card: ASUS HD 7970 x 2(For that extra boost and will last till its outdated).

CPU: Intel: i7 3930k (Runs up to 3.80 Ghz with 12M Cache).

PCU: It all depends on what you're gonna do overclocking or not just get a good brand that uses good.

capacitors, at 900-1200w.

RAM: Differs to what you're gonna be doing if you're using any applications from adobe or some thing similar get your self 4-8 gb you can always get more if you feel like it, Kingston is a good brand

Optimal drives: Get a SSD for the operating system 30gb minimum with a 2-whatever you need tb.

Operating system: Pirated copy of windows 7 cause they don't diverse money anymore.

and if you feel like you need a DVD or a blue ray driver go for it.

This is the best i could think of if you have large budget go for it.

Bing - thanks. Lol. Landshark, cheers for the link - I'm so out of the loop, that is actually really helpful. :)

Thanks Zombie, all dat seems in line but I think I'm'a def go for some more RAM. Currently have 4GB and it's not quite cutting it.

Flux/Mintlou/Cake: THANK YOU! This is exactly the kind of stuff I was after. Also, comments made have reflected what my mate has been saying, which gives me confidence. I'm going to check some shit out tonight, and speak to my friend asap. Away over the weekend but look to start getting this shizzle sorted next week. :)

Thanks a lot guys - this has saved me a shitload of time, which I find is getting scarcer and scarcer these days. Paedo-coupons all round. :) xoxoxo

you don't have to be jealous Mintlou, sorry about your shitty pc ;\

Venga, 3770k core, some nice corsair gaming ram, Graphicswise i'd look at the market carefully. A GTX 660TI will probably be enough unless you're really going for nice shiny graphics.

I'd invest into some new fans. Be really careful when buying a case also, Coolermaster HAF is a good brand. Phantek is worth looking into as well, some nice cooling towers for relatively cheap.

Just obsessively check benchmarks and reviews, i spent a month pandering over the small details.