Sign in to follow this  
Jamie

Graphics cards.

Ill be getting a new pc for xmas. So, I've pretty much got the system that I want sorted out however there's 1 last obstacle and that's deciding on the gpu.

Power isn't a problem as I will be getting a 750W power supply with a bit of luck. As for pricing I don't want anything too insane. Overclocking the card may be an option but its not too important, I just want a massive improvement on the potato that is my current pc.

Post any suggestions for highish end graphics cards here, what do you have in your system? What are your experiences etc?

Thanks.

Got two HD5900's in mine which do everything i need - but having two graphics cards is kinda pointless these days.

Mate, seriously, go hard.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 601/review

Combined that with a 30 inch HD monitor and you'll have a multiple eyegasm. Although that's SLIGHTLY overpriced, it's still worth it in my opinion. Amazing graphics card, if my motherboard could support it then i'd get that.

I've got a GTX 560 Ti.

I'm running dual moniters. My main monitor is a 1920x1080 and my second monitor is a 1440 x 900.

I leave my PC on for months without turning it off and I have yet to have a graphical error with my system.

The GTX560Ti is a superb component if you're looking for a decent yet cheap card. I've not lagged in a single game since I've bought this card. I have high settings in almost all my games and boy, if it were up to me(well, it is) I'd buy 2 of these.

It's a pretty decent GPU. That's basically it iin a nutshell. Well, that's what I would advise anyone.

~Wayne

Alright guys,

The graphics card you suggested tiny - would a 750w power supply be suffice? I heard they require a hell of a lot of power.

I'm swaying towards the Nvidia GeForce Gtx 660 ti, I've heard some great things.

System inside so far:

- Intel core i7 quad core 3770k. (Choosing the option for overclock instead of doing it myself) clocked at 4.5gz.

- Corsair CWCH100 water cooler CPU cooler.

- Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard

- Powercool 750w modular PSU (hopefully enough?)

- Patriot Viper 16gb RAM. 1600Mhz

- 1TB HDD SATA 3 6gb/s. 7200RPM

- [insert gpu here] I might go for 660ti as I said above

- Thermaltake overseer rx-i case (looked up reviews for this and apparently it's great for airflow etc, looks hot sweet too)

- Windows 7 home premium, windows 8 can go for a jog.

- Extra fans installed for increased air flow.

And yes, no SSD included, so SSD fans may get all red faced, I'm sorry

If you can get Windows 7 ultimate, i THINK it's better for gaming than the home edition. Just download it illegally or summat. (might wanna check that though/also not sure if premium and ultimate are the same :<)

Rest of it looks great, you're gonna get me all jealous and make me blow my paycheck on something i don't need >:(

As to the power supply, i'm just not sure. I'll have a look. If you don't mind me asking, how much is all of that costing you?

Also, you're not getting an SSD? I remember you saying you don't like them, but as far as i know they are better for gaming.

Sigh, the problem with me trying to upgrade anymore is that i'd basically have to buy a completely new PC, since my motherboard is at its limit arghgghhghwgahgawga.

For extras included, about £1200

Premium has all the stuff. Ultimate has crap piled on that you simply don't need.

As with ssd, im happy with waitin that little bit extra for booting up windows, loading programs/games etc instead of paying extra for super fast loading. SSD doesn't actually effect game performance afaik.

What motherboard do you have btw?

Urgh.. without going home and looking inside, i couldn't tell you off the top of my head. Couple of my tech friends have checked and said i'd have to buy a brand new one in order to improve my PC moar.

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/ ... GHz.aspx#2

That's the system requirements for the graphics card i linked earlier. It mentions a 500w+, but it also mentions a 850w+, so i'm not sure. (Not too gud at this sort of thing)

It literally is an amazing piece of gear, damn son.

Urgh.. without going home and looking inside, i couldn't tell you off the top of my head. Couple of my tech friends have checked and said i'd have to buy a brand new one in order to improve my PC moar.

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/ ... GHz.aspx#2

That's the system requirements for the graphics card i linked earlier. It mentions a 500w+, but it also mentions a 850w+, so i'm not sure. (Not too gud at this sort of thing)

It literally is an amazing piece of gear, damn son.

OCing the GPU isn't so important, as long as its moderately possible I do not mind, and yep I did compare the two.

The HD 9870 is so fucking overkill though, but also future proofing for some time. But I prob won't get it at least not now.