Sign in to follow this  
PAINSCOPE!

Abuse in game and any policy behind it?

As gamers, especially on CSS i'm sure we've been called stuff a dozen times and as you know i've been involved in some of it myself as the cause in a certain instance.

However, only hours before that instance I was constantly called a faggot and such by Ossie-Wolf with a few members on. I had replied without obscenities but had to call upon the members to warn Ossie. They did so and he pretty much quit it about a minute later but still continued with the schoolyard pretentious teasing such as 'gg' everytime I died.

This isn't meant to be a complaint about Ossie himself or an unban appeal but I used an obscenity against an admin and got banned for a week without warning, yet members with the powers to enforce a ban vote only gave out a mic warning. This isn't just for my benefit but I believe there should either be a stricter view on abuse or a warning before ban system involved so personal preference doesn't come into things.

Pardon one offence and you encourage the commision of many - Publius Syrus

I guess it's how a player takes it and how it was intended, for example I say GG everytime I kill somebody or a ct who is commanding gets killed, it's just something I and a few other people like to do, in return I get gged when I die but Its all fun, if some random calls me a faggot or one time I was commanding and I kill some guy and he then he says "oh yeah fLuXy I forgot you had downs syndrome" you don't let it faze you really and you give back as good as you get but you don't need to go over the top swearing left right and centre. Moral is, don't pay attention to Internet abuse, it's meanginless

I do agree that a lot of it is just for shits and giggles but when it's constant or over the line then my first point is reinstated. I generally don't take offence to people calling me things and all that but what if there was a homosexual gamer on OB and he saw people being called faggots left right and centre (stole it ;D). He probably wouldn't come back as it's a touchy subject and considering we have a lot of young players on OB it sets a bad example for them.

I wouldn't say internet abuse is meaningless, as you said, some people take it differently to others and some really do take offence to it especially over a long drawn out period and feel pretty shit about it y'know.

Well I mean look at deamonic, I have so many bad words about that boy but the one good word is that he is a trooper for not letting that abuse get to him and he just keeps coming back. Apart from that I have no time for him

As Fluxy said, it's all about how you take it. If you're someone who dishes it out but can't take it, I'm not gonna say anything about you, but know that it was bugging me (No worries about anyone on OB though.) However, as internet users, you have to put up with a fair amount of hate from the "Keyboard gangsters" and just get on with it. Otherwise, you'll get pissed at everything.

I would say to anyone getting butthurt by randoms - 'suck it up'

There's not much we can do about random players coming into the server and spouting meaningless abuse.

It's when our own members begin to do it that it affects us and makes us look bad. As a member of OB you're expected to uphold a certain standard of behaviour, since you represent the community and the server by wearing our tags. To quote Jordan, rise above hate!

I would say to anyone getting butthurt by randoms - 'suck it up'

There's not much we can do about random players coming into the server and spouting meaningless abuse.

It's when our own members begin to do it that it affects us and makes us look bad. As a member of OB you're expected to uphold a certain standard of behaviour, since you represent the community and the server by wearing our tags. To quote Jordan, rise above hate!

So what's the policy behind it? I'm sure McLovin or Kriss have some idea of how these things are dealt with and all.

I don't understand why you keep saying 'What's the policy behind it', what do you mean by that?

If i see anyone calling anyone else a 'fucking idiot' or w.e, i tell them to stop. If they don't, i gag them. If it continues, it's a ban. :l

There's a CLEAR line between 'banter' and 'abuse' and they're easy to tell apart.

Basically painscope the policy is there to be used as and when admins see fit, there is a large amount we don't need you to understand. The part that applies to you is "dont preach hate, don't be abusive" you can remind someone of the rules in teamchat (you know that thing you don't read) if you think they are out of line. But basically it is more important that you watch your own behaviour rather than asking for elaborate explanations which are actually over your head, as someone with 3 bans on record for being abusive.

Yours sincerely, with all my love

Sholto

Ps fluxy i agree with you on the demonic thing, he is awful to play with, but he is a regular despite the abuse.

Thanks for that input Gumzter, clearly solved my query. I was just wondering if there was any format to abuse regulations but i'm guessing it's more of a situation based thing. I'm clearly trying to find out more information to improve myself which aren't over my head otherwise I wouldn't ask about them. 2 bans for being abusive so far, the one you gave is being questioned by McLovin.

As for teamchat I have no idea how it even works so don't condescend to me, i'd rather have the information and help that you've given without the sarcastic manneurisms.

This sums up everything that I abide by. Just to refer back to what you said, if a homosexual gets offended by the word "faggot", then that is his choice to be offended. However, we expect our users to uphold certain standards, as we have the freedom to block people from our private server if they are misrepresenting us.

I personally kick people who constantly use the word "faggot" because it sets a bad image for the server. However, this isn't because I expect anyone to be offended by that word (because if you are you need to grow the fuck up), but because it sets a bad tone for the server itself.

And as this video says, people need to learn to take insults, to take criticism. Not that I believe our server should be an anarchist pile of shit as I think users should conduct themselves with some integrity and decorum, but not to the point where people get offended over stupid things.