Sign in to follow this  
Raw

Portal flow freezing

Hey mappers,

Im compiling a surf map atm for 12 hours straight, and it is stuck now on the portal flow. It is at 9... for around 9 hours now. I optimalized the map using visclusters and ramps are set to func details. I do not get any erros tho. The map got around 1500 portalclusters and 6300 numportals. Is this normal??? Or should i cancel and check for more optimalization? Google isnt really helpful atm.

Edited by Raw

Once my map was compiling and it got stuck on Portal Flow for like 20 minutes at number 9 when it usually took like 2 minutes.

I stopped the compile, tried again and it worked.

22 minutes ago, Twiixtor said:

Once my map was compiling and it got stuck on Portal Flow for like 20 minutes at number 9 when it usually took like 2 minutes.

I stopped the compile, tried again and it worked.

Did it multiple times. Going to 9 already takes me like 3 hours.

I'm not a good mapper but i do know its getting stuck there because of visleafs . ( you have tried to fix this with visclusters) But make sure everything that can / needs to be is set to func_detail , also i know it is a surf map but try not to use 1 big sky box to conceal your map . This just creates loads of unnecessary visleafs. (i dont know if you have done this but it sounds like you have as it is taking so long. Also try not to have any overlapping brushes. The last thing i would suggest is as it is probably a big map try to use Hint - Skips and area portals . These will help with basically telling the map what is visible from what angle. Portal flow is basically your map working out the visleafs and where they are visible from each other. Use Hint - Skips and area portals and these will be you doing it manually and not the portal flow when compiling.

For information on this you should look at :