Sign in to follow this  
gaffeR

A favour for a friend

A friend of mine is getting into editing and he is after a pc that would be great for editing 4k videos with ease.

He doesn't really have a budget but i would say around 1-2k but including a monitor but 2 if possible.

Can anyone who can help link me to a group of components that would work together and basically run fast and do what he wants.

You'd probably want 2 monitors, but would want atleast 1 4K Monitor to go with this, as ofcourse, editing 4K videos etc.

Will be looking at around £1000 - £1500 altogether, dependant on what extras they would require with it.

As an average idea on what you'd be looking for - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33jXxr

Probs wont need that much RAM, probs wont need that good of a optical drive.

SSD for the apps and OS. Hard drive for storage.

IMO, get a custom built one off ebay for £500-£600. Then make changes from that. Will probs save a fair amount but warranty may expire from changing parts over.

4k rendering will take a while, even on a beast of a machine.

Assuming the software you're using is able to utilize all your cores, then the more cores the better.

Get a decent amount of ram, 8GB/16GB.

In fact, just go mad with everything. SLI/Crossfire (lol)... Don't forget humongous HDDs too.

Just for reference, I can render 5min long 1080p videos in about 15mins using Vegas Pro.

AMD FX6300 6 Core @4.1ghz

16GB Corsair Vengence 1866Mhz DDR3

Asus AMD R9270x 2GB

ASUS Sabertooth II Motherboard

320GB HDD for Windows

1TB Seagate HDD for everything else

Makes a hell of a lot of noise and heat when rendering. Make sure it's adequately cooled!

Key things that your friend will want are:

• Graphics Card (For Rendering Movies)
  • Solid State Drive (For Reading/Writing Movies)
  • RAM (For Keeping Movies in Memory)

I quite like the look of Gibby's parts, however I'd like to make a few suggestions.

As most rendering will be done GPU side, I would almost certainly go for the i5 counterpart that he suggested, unless later on that person will be computing a massive amount of data. My i7 was a massive waste of money, most times it runs on 14-15%, even with three screens and numerous applications open all that I would consider to be computationally intensive.

As your friend is doing 4K renders,you sure you wanna scrimp and go for a 4TB HDD? As such, I would consider spending the extra £70 on a Seagate 8TB Drive.

Definitely keep the 16GB of RAM, if you can load the majority of your movie into memory before you compile, it will speed it up no end. Although the HDD I linked above has Read/Write speeds of ~400MB/s (advertises more but in experience this is the top you'll ever legitimately get), it still will help.

That graphics card is beautiful. Definitely go with Nvidia if you're doing video editing because a lot of high-end software uses CUDA software to use the power of your GPU to complete tasks that would normally be done by the CPU in a fraction of the time.