Sign in to follow this  
Rumple Forskin

Entity Leek

An entity leak occurs when there is a hole in your map leading to the void. From the Developer Community:

Levels created with the Source Engine must be completely internally sealed. No part of the interior of the level, the "world", must connect with the outside, the "Void". Even the sky must be sealed off with a brush using the tools/toolsskybox texture. When there is any kind of gap to the void, a leak is generated when the map is compiled by vbsp. When a leak occurs, the tools cannot know which part of the level is inside, and what part is outside, and vvis cannot be run. If vvis is not run several effects may not work or look right including water and some surface properties like dust puffs.

So, to fix it, the logical solution would be to look for holes in your map leading to the void and make sure that you have a sky.

For more information you might want to take a peak at the Developer Community Page for leaks.

Again, from the Developer Community:

Sometimes these gaps aren't quite as obvious as the above example. They can be a fraction of an unit wide and still cause a leak. The compile tools provide you with a pointfile to help you locate the leak. A pointfile is a file generated by vbsp that draws a line between the void of the map to the entity it found during the leak check. After receiving a leak error in vbsp, a mapname.lin file will be created in the same directory as your .vmf map file.

Reading that page should really help sort out the leak ;). It has several sections dedicated just to finding and fixing these leaks.

Rumple Do you have a sky box? when i was new and learning to use Skyboxes i got that message, or like popey said mabey he skybox has a gap.

Just Make a box that cover your whole map, make it hollow by -32 (- hollows outwards rather than inwards) and change its texture to skybox. Then go to map properties and select skybox.

From this website you can select skyboxes and copy them into the skybox section.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... _Offensive

I hope thiis helped if its unclear, id strongly suggest these youtubers these guys have helped me so far in my current JB map

- 3kliksphilip

https://www.youtube.com/user/MondoSquad/videos - MondoSquad

also , with an entity leek is there a way to find exactly where it is in the map using the code in the cmd compression file ? , also how would you place a block that would kill? , thanks

I don't think it's possible to find where a leak is without searching for it manually, or at least I don't know how.

Placing a block that would kill is simply done by using ctrl-T on a brush and making it a func_hurt. You can set the damage values then, but you'll need to set the value to double whatever you want it to be. Ie. setting it to 200 damage would deal 100 damage on contact when it's compiled. Also func_hurts are non-solid and invisible, so if you want a floor to hurt you if you touch it you need a normal brush as the floor and then a layer of the func_hurt above the floor.