Sign in to follow this  
inmylife

My map: BA_Jail_Notwaterworld_V8

So I've been making a map since last Wednesday I believe, I've made a jailbreak map with quite a few minigames. There still needs to be done a lot of "finetuning" as in the map looks quite ugly and no random props have really been added to the map yet.

You can download the map here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ci6bd ... skybox.bsp

As mentioned I still need to tune the map to make it look more pretty and add random junk. The couch game is not finished yet, I want to add visual feedback to show which couch kills and which doesn't. I haven't done this yet because I was feeling lazy today. One of the first things I made was the couch game and I made a huge mess of it, so I need to sort that out sometime.

I'm looking for feedback: Feedback about bugs is welcome, feedback about more games that should added is welcome too. Feedback on black and yellow is welcome also, it's kinda short, and I'd love some idea's of obstacles to add inside black and yellow.

Later on I'll also add some "lr" stuff seeing as some people really like that part. Also the map may change for balance reasons, I'm not sure how T/CT sided this map will be. Though I've tried my best to make it balanced.

Edited by Guest

Gosh this sucks because I was going to make a water themed map next. :)

So I've made some notes as I walked through the map then i have a few general notes for you.

Armoury:

- It kind of feels like someone just left a bunch of AK47s in one room, I suggest cleaning it up a bit, maybe adding more gear (nades, pistols, etc).

Cell area:

- I don't really understand why it has the link with the pool.

- I like the opening device but I feel it'll be very easy for Ts to get the AK & it'll be hard for CTs to lead the Ts outside.

- I think it needs some walkways for the CTs.

- Also iso feels redundant so I suggest just turning it into a second cell.

Skipping:

- Done well.

- Is in a large room.

Deathcrate:

- Works well.

- It's not obvious what each button does.

- It's very dark, add some lights

Room by deathcrate (with gun)

- I feel this room needs something more than just a gun but its probably a good CTing challenge.

Football:

- Ball is a strange shape, it isn't solid either.

- Try using a a 24x24x24 func phys multiplayer with a low mass.

Pool:

- I like the diving board switcher & the target pools inside.

- I'd suggest adding a ladder to get out.

- I like the use of lasers.

Corridor between pool:

- Very dark, add some lights.

- Also add a sign because otherwise you have no idea where it leads.

Race:

- i like the glass style & it has good obstactles, although some aren't too obvious what to do, for example the two blue platforms.

Moving obby:

- I like it

- Corridoor towards it isn't too obvious again.

Colours:

- Looks a little glitchy, it can have have more than one chosen.

- Also I've noticed with developer 4 on a bunch of colour buttons keep being pressed.

Chair game:

- It's nice, maybe make it a little smaller like battlefield summer had.

Slide race:

- Nice and simple, I enjoy the large jump at the end. just make sure it's not too hard to die from it.

Climb:

- How do I get there? I had to use no clip.

- Sometimes when you fall you take damage, I dislike this.

General notes:

Make it brighter.

I think you should decide on an art style for the map, I quite like the blue, glass combo.

Very good games

Rethink the layout of the map, remember that CTs have to be able to lead Ts there and Ts should have a few places were they can rebel. Its easy enough to make a map with games but making a map with great JB gameplay is hard.

Seven colours, asked from the minecraft map. Got permission from the mapmaker and he gave me a file with the rest of the minigames.

IX6XVN3.jpg

Black and Yellow:

JbL4HNf.jpg

Cells, they open by raising the waterlevel. As like the pool in the map with the fan. You can also see the armory to the right, and the bottom left is an isolation where you can drown people.

bOYhZLv.jpg

Climb, there'll be a 1,2,3, and then all the rest that enter.

sfIhmCa.jpg

Moving chairs, still have to add music to it. You can move all the chairs up and down separately.

0ypsSRG.jpg

Death cube, Death lasers, and the car that kills people from that minecraft level. All in the same pit, they can all be activated separately or at the same time.

y6BsMqT.jpg

Football, no idea if it'll work on the server.

REtk40d.jpg

Impossible race, a race which is very difficult to finish. Therefore the title. I forsee a lot of people complaining that it isn't possible to finish it (it is possible), but in case people get stuck there is a recall button.

zXpWAdL.jpg

Pool with 3 diving boards, you can make them dive in the little squares. Ofcourse you drain the water first so they actually take damage if they miss the squares.

You can also press a button and 5 stages appear which can be used to race, if you stand on the end they'll boost you forward. There are also two buttons which activate lasers, to show that the t's pressed the buttons. If you wish to do a water race of some sort.

ipA75nj.jpg

Skipping rope, it's a quite difficult but fun one. Might be a bit buggy since this was the second thing I made and I learned along the way. So the later I made the minigame the less buggy it'll be.

N3vZlva.jpg

Sliderace, you slide and if you hit the red you will be teleported back. At the end you make a 90 degree turn and get boosted through the air and you'll have to land on the platform further on. There is water covering it so you won't take any damage. In the middle of the platform is a teleport thingy which will teleport you on top of the blue building. If you miss the platform you'll die, it's not that difficult to hit the platform though.

KVigpjx.jpg

Edit: I meant to put a description with each picture, I messed up the picture order so it are basically random discriptions of minigames at each picture.

Edited by Guest

Gosh this sucks because I was going to make a water themed map next. :)

So I've made some notes as I walked through the map then i have a few general notes for you.

Armoury:

- It kind of feels like someone just left a bunch of AK47s in one room, I suggest cleaning it up a bit, maybe adding more gear (nades, pistols, etc).

Cell area:

- I don't really understand why it has the link with the pool.

- I like the opening device but I feel it'll be very easy for Ts to get the AK & it'll be hard for CTs to lead the Ts outside.

- I think it needs some walkways for the CTs.

- Also iso feels redundant so I suggest just turning it into a second cell.

Skipping:

- Done well.

- Is in a large room.

Deathcrate:

- Works well.

- It's not obvious what each button does.

- It's very dark, add some lights

Room by deathcrate (with gun)

- I feel this room needs something more than just a gun but its probably a good CTing challenge.

Football:

- Ball is a strange shape, it isn't solid either.

- Try using a a 24x24x24 func phys multiplayer with a low mass.

Pool:

- I like the diving board switcher & the target pools inside.

- I'd suggest adding a ladder to get out.

- I like the use of lasers.

Corridor between pool:

- Very dark, add some lights.

- Also add a sign because otherwise you have no idea where it leads.

Race:

- i like the glass style & it has good obstactles, although some aren't too obvious what to do, for example the two blue platforms.

Moving obby:

- I like it

- Corridoor towards it isn't too obvious again.

Colours:

- Looks a little glitchy, it can have have more than one chosen.

- Also I've noticed with developer 4 on a bunch of colour buttons keep being pressed.

Chair game:

- It's nice, maybe make it a little smaller like battlefield summer had.

Slide race:

- Nice and simple, I enjoy the large jump at the end. just make sure it's not too hard to die from it.

Climb:

- How do I get there? I had to use no clip.

- Sometimes when you fall you take damage, I dislike this.

General notes:

Make it brighter.

I think you should decide on an art style for the map, I quite like the blue, glass combo.

Very good games

Rethink the layout of the map, remember that CTs have to be able to lead Ts there and Ts should have a few places were they can rebel. Its easy enough to make a map with games but making a map with great JB gameplay is hard.

Thanks for the feedback some things you mentioned I knew and still have to get to fixing. There is actually a ladder up to the climb but I haven't made it show yet (like all the ladders in the map).

You can still make a water themed map also, I just started with it and then basically gave up on it. Pretty much just wanted to make the cells the way they are now.

When it comes to rebelling though, did you notice the 2 vents in cell area. One vent outside, one vent in pool, one vent in the deathcube area and one vent outside near football?

That's 6 vents in total, I've tried my best to make it balanced of jailbreak purposes. The vents just aren't clear yet since all the colours and styles are a mess at the moment.

I saw a few vents which looked a little awkward to get in, although because I only really looked at it ingame so I didn't hunt down everything.

I've tried to make the vents like this: Easy to block off as a CT, but enough vents so that ct's that don't know the map well won't know to find each vent. So the ct's will basically learn from their mistakes, experience will make the map easier to command. Something like that. Still have to do a lot of balancing, and as you mentioned the armory is just a room where I dropped a few AK's.

Thanks for the feedback! If you need help with your new map in the futhure with minigames (or you'd like to use a minigame I've got) let me know.

Edit: Also on progress, I'll do some fine tuning tomorrow. I think I'll struggle with motivation to round off the last loose ends. Though I hope to have a playable polished version by the end of next week.

I've updated the map and one a "fast" render, I'm not sure which difference this makes compared to a normal one. It can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ci6bd ... skybox.bsp

I'll do a normal render later when I've got more time. Everything is pretty polished right now, all buttons have words on them to make clear what they do. If not they are made red to make clear they are a button and can be activated. I added a few things to armory to make it look like an armory but I should add more to it later.

I think the map should be playable just fine now, I'm really curious as to how balanced the map will be.

Does anyone know what the maximum size of a map is for OB? I still have some idea's for things to add, some of which include music. I'm not sure what restrictions are on the file size.

Edit: I forgot to fix the fall damage in climb, I'll do that later. For the rest everything is "as it should be" I'm sure I forgot something else somewhere. For now I made a quick fix by building a huge medic at the climb. Will upload that one in a bit.

Updated the download links to the newest version, I hope Sir Conor can upload it to the server so that I can test it out again. It should be way more balanced and I've added a few more games. I think this time I might have done it right!

Next I've got to do is paint everything pretty if testing comes back good.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ci6bd ... skybox.bsp

Today I have worked a lot on the map and added not 1 but 2 games. I also changed the textures on the map and it should look much better now. The vents have also been changed a little bit. Since rendering takes very long I'll render the map as a Final V2 good playable version tonight when I go to sleep.

I would however appreciate it very much if people could download my map and hop on it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv4jpk25pacqv ... r.rar?dl=0

Any comments about the most little things are welcome. Seeing as if I find out after tomorrow I'll have to fix it and then spend another few hours waiting for the map to be rendered.

Keep in mind that because it is a "quickrender" the map may play a bit laggy, this will change in the proper version.

3 hours is quite a bit, I generally worry if it takes over 5minutes.

I recommend checking out how to optimise: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Optimization_(level_design)

Especially visibilty optimisation: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visibility_optimization

Are you sure your not talking about settings on "fast" like in the picture? TGaPNUK.png