Sign in to follow this  
Jamie

Suggestion for the Member Apps

I don't really care about votekick/voteban.

It's just right now, with exception to a trial period, a blue name on the forums and being in a steam group; what differentiates a member from a regular user?

Nothing material. Primarily image. It also generally goes hand-in-hand with greater integration, but not always. The people who flake off anyway after they get bored are the exact sort that perks would lure in, who once they grew bored of them, would leave. There is always going to be churn with members, but perks won't necessarily make it better. Besides, it's not like people pay for member, so I don't see why they should expect the world.

I first joined because I liked the community, not because of credits or anything. Whilst that is purely anecdotal, I'm sure others joined for similar reasons.

I see us as a fairly embracing community - we get on with people who play our servers who aren't members, but to go through a fairly substantial trial process, I feel like there should be something to, as Motoko said - increase member's prestige.

Difficulty in getting something is the root of prestige.

Fair enough, priority at events - and there is one coming up, but before that thread arrived on the forums, we hadn't had one for three months (no fault of admins obviously) but as events were irregular....

Events were hard to fill. Events had become a chore. Now they're not.

-Increase involvement with the blue guys - perhaps a lower ranked moderator could meet with some active members to discuss recent member trials, server issues - which can then be fed back in a meeting, so members feel their +1, -1 or comments they had on the person mean something and aren't as overlooked.

Nice idea but largely superfluous. Threads and general Teamspeak seem to hit this already. Though I like the idea of greater integration.

--Personally I think member meetings (would obviously be less frequent than admin ones) would be a good idea, it would get a lot more suggestions at once on teamspeak and would give a broader spectrum of people, could just be an informal chat.

Same as last point.

-Double credits seemed like a good idea, and it some ways is - it would give people who aren't a member more intent to become one. Scratching that, as said above - a free item from the credzzzzzz store.

Incentivising someone to join makes you look a bit desperate, and it's not something we need to do. Particularly not to attract the more mature kind of player which we're now getting applications from.

-Maybe even look into a member's section on the forums. I can't really comment on the matter as I went through a 1 hour trial period back in the old days, but I imagine people now, having followed their own app for a few weeks, when they finally gain member and come on the forums and see their blue name, there isn't much else to it. Event suggestions -> Member section? Have a randomiser which allows one member to partner a moderator/admin in running an event?

^ I gained member the one week trial way under McLovin. It was fine. I just felt lucky to have gotten through. Re: the member event thing: possibly.

-IDK if you guys seemed interested in this topic, or you were just trying to say there isn't anything you can do. But, if you feel it'd be a bit power mad to start giving all these perks out - perhaps make the trial process even more lengthy. Forum activity aswell as in game activity would be a must, along with all the other fundamentals - then both parties would feel happy with what they can enjoy once successful.

Will probably discuss this after event on Sunday.

I have to say though the idea of having the name tag and knowing I am a member is a reward in itself. I feel proud when I am playing on the server and it is always a laugh when people ask me to use my mod powers that certainly dont exist but I like to troll by making them think so.

Yeah, having the member tag was always the bonus for me + colour on the forums. Credits mean very little to me but I guess many people enjoy them. I think increasing credits for members would be a bad idea, we want people who will be active both server and forum and will contribute, not just come in for 2 weeks, make 25 posts for the creds and not come back.