Sign in to follow this  
Skeff

New JB map (jb_prison_cell)

Looks quite good. Just find it a bit depressing to look at, it's not aesthetically pleasing to the eyes but I know it's in it's early stages still so.

I'm not really the best at texturing but if have any ideas of how you'd like it to change let me know. There are one or two areas I feel need more colour and decoration, but I'm pretty happy with most of it.

Areas which I feel might need better textures and decoration are isolation, medic and pool.

Also medic is quite small and so I'm thinking about making it bigger.

When I get the randomiser game that mintlou suggested, I'll post a few more screenshots, especially of the areas mentioned above to get feedback.

I don't mean colour I just mean textures really like you said. I'm not too creative so I'd be terrible to ask for ideas. Sorry. But keep us updated :D

This is looking like a perfect map at the moment, the right balance of space vs activities. Notice how on jb_sand that we can actually get things done due to it's efficient layout, this is definitely going in that direction.

Can we get a clearly defined square for T's to stack in when cells open at the bottom of the cell stairs? Also maybe a line too.

Tileable:

Tileable from left to right and up to down

21889.jpg

Floor_texture_Tiled_by_danix3000.jpg

4f8433c07a439_dogbone.jpg

Not tileable:

The floor you use in basketball and the main area. I don't know how high res textures are allowed to be in csgo, but texture quality can make a map look bad or good along with the 3d models.

To prove that point, here is a textured plane of a door ( 1 polygon with 1 texture ):

http://imgur.com/m0z9sXb

Oh one game I do like is 7 colours, like on Aeon.

For the pool, next to it have a diving board with like the different levels? i.e. Red = highest, yellow = middle, green = lowest, with the little pools at the base to dive into, those are really good imo.

Thanks shadow, I'll go through and redo as much as I think isn't tiled, in fact we started learning about that the other day in my 3d desgin for games workshop.

Oh one game I do like is 7 colours, like on Aeon.

For the pool, next to it have a diving board with like the different levels? i.e. Red = highest, yellow = middle, green = lowest, with the little pools at the base to dive into, those are really good imo.

I have the diving board game if you look at the picture of pool, and I may look for somewhere to put in a colour game. Which do you prefer the one where the colour raises or the one where it's random?

I like the one where it has a time limit to get to a certain colour if that makes sense, i.e. black is selected and after like 3 seconds if you aren't on it the rest of the colours drop off and you die.

If you can cast your mind back to Aeon? remember the 7 colours on that?

Update

I have updated the second post to show a before and after image of certain areas of the map.

Please can you guys tell me which colours you prefer, you can mix and match which ones you like, for example a wall from the old version and a ceiling from the new. And if you think it still doesn't look correct then please say what you think would be better.

Completion

After the retexturing of the map, I will try to optimise it with no draw, hints, areas portals, etc. Then I will add in JB spawns and send to map to the OB admins for review on the server.

So depending on how much time I have it should be out soon.

I like the one where it has a time limit to get to a certain colour if that makes sense, i.e. black is selected and after like 3 seconds if you aren't on it the rest of the colours drop off and you die.

If you can cast your mind back to Aeon? remember the 7 colours on that?

I like the 7 colour game and other games but I don't want to overflow this map with games that work on their own, I want more creative uses of areas on the map. JB without rebelling or creativity is basically minigames.

Going through these screenshots, and will tell you what I personally don't like.

So first of all, the Armoury:

The texture of walls from the first picture are better, the floor from the first are better and the ceiling from the second looks better. (Try to use different textures for the floor and ceiling, it makes it look so much better.)

The Isolation:

I personally like the clean white one, although use a different texture for the door.

The Cellblock:

The second one looks better, although please add poles to the left and right walkway (To support both the weight of the walkway and reality :D)

Cellarea:

You whent from a more earth/grey colour scheme to complete clean white. Which is to my personal taste a bit to much for the overal theme you created in this map. Try to add some colour to your map. Use a brownish/blackish/dark grayish ceiling, atleast try to get of this completely white look. (I also don't like the floor texture.)

Also add a railing at the top right walkway please.

Pool:

Perhaps add buttons which light up at the end of the swimming pool, so if someone would command a race to be done in the swimming pool the players could press E on the button and the commander can simply see the light glow up first. And perhaps create a little breathing room at the jumping game to put the T's in after they jumped.

Basketball Court:

In the second picture the floor of the field looks a lot better, please do indeed change either the ceiling texture or floor texture of the overall floor they look to similar.

Kitchen:

I like the first colour scheme more than the second.

Medic:

Use everything from the second textures except for the floor, use the first one.

Further more please add some props other than beds, the room seems really empty and lacks creativity.

Main Hall:

Second one looks a lot better.

Outside:

It looks really empty and this more or less also has to do with the shape of the building, adding some sort of side building next to it will break this up a lot. And will make it look a lot better. And again not enough props, add some trees or crates or w/e you like to put outside.

This is what I think should be changed on the map at first glance, remember I helped Kriss a lot with the layout of his map :P outbreak_day took ages to design XD.

Thanks for the feedback, I've spent some time redoing various textures and some lighting to keep the clean white look, but adding in more grey and dirt, a mix of the two styles. The new images are now next to the old images from last night.

I'd also added "the fourth set of images" which shows the other parts of the map which had little to no retexturing, just to show the decorations.

Any changes you think should happen please say.

Thanks mclovin for the detailed feedback, I've used it for the texturing and I will be looking at other parts you suggested.

- I will add poles to the cell walkway, but not supports on the side, as a way for Ts to escape if they really want.

- I may add or change the way pool works, It'd be good to have race options but currently the diving boards all push you at a different angle, this allows for a secret room to be accessed but could not be used in a fair race.

- I will consider adding a breathing room at the jump game but I ways found placing Ts in the corner of the room or on the next jump level worked fine.

- I will look into adding more props for medic, perhaps an NPC that fully heals you (currently the + sign does this)

- Outside isn't big, but I'm unsure if I made it bigger it would look strange because this map was built from the inside to the out. I could expand certain areas but at the moment I'm happy with it and I don't want to mess it up.

- Props: There are a few trees, bushes and tall grass outside, perhaps I could add street lamps but hopefully you can see the use of props in the other images of the map

So I've gotten to a point were I am very happy with most of the map, and after a few optimisation tweaks and adding JB spawns I will release a beta of the map.

I've gone through everything mclovin said might make the map look better and I have done most things. The biggest change is the medic, there is an image on the second post of this thread, please give me feedback on that.

Also I'm struggling to come up with a name for the map, it's currently nicknamed prison_cell. Any ideas for a better name will be welcomed

As a side note I am willing to expand the outside area, seeing as mclovin and dave both said it'd be good, but at the moment I shall keep it small.

This map is currently in beta, version 1

Download the map here: http://csgo.gamebanana.com/maps/183231

As part of the beta I am collecting information about the map in it's current state in order to fix and balance any issues. Please can you highlight any issues you think the map has

Layout: What do you think about it? Is there any problems with it?

Texture: Are there any misaligned textures? Are any textures too big or small for their area? Where do tiled textures need to be used?

Lighting: What do the colours make you feel? Is it too bright/dark?

Props: Are there too many, too little or just right? Are they interactive enough?

Secrets: Are there too many, too little or just right? Are they too powerful, underpowered or just right?

Games: Do they work as expected? Are there too many, too little or just right?

Lagg: What is your average FPS on the map? Where (on the map) do you get low FPS? Would you consider this FPS acceptable?

Other: Anything else you have to say Glitches, bugs, etc