Sign in to follow this  
Backseatsman

Some forum suggestions

Hey guys. I decided to do a short list of forum suggestions which I have seen work well on other forums.

"Like" Button:

Just a basic button which likes other peoples posts.

Edit time limit in ban appeals:

One of the issues I have seen in some places is that on ban appeals after the OP people are editing the post and "alerting" evidence. I thought making it to like a 5 minute timer then no edit would be useful.

sits_large_noborder.pngButton:

This is not really necessary as you already have the "link to steam" feature but people may prefer this.

Shoutbox:

Basically a side box which acts as a group chat/which you can announce random stuff on (only accessible if signed in to forums)

Staff currently online:

Under the statistics on the bottom perhaps add a "staff currently online" so if anybody is having any issues they can forum pm one of the members of staff ASAP.

These were all just off the top of my head, if anyone has anything to add to this please do :D!

We have a "Who is online" box at the bottom of the page, so you can see who's browsing via that.

I suggested a Shoutbox before, but some people felt it would reduce the post count :<

Signing in through Steam might be cool.

I don't understand the No Edit part, wouldn't that just prevent the OP from updating their own post? Not sure watcha mean.

Like button. No really harm in having it or not so it could be a good idea or just a waste of time.

I don't really understand this? Do you mean if someone has been banned & they know it was wrong & have evidence to get them unbanned they must post the evidence in 5 minutes or stay banned?

I would say no cause, someone could have a slow computer, could take long to upload a picture or video & it could take longer than 5 minutes.

I would really love a Shoutbox. I do go other forums that do & do not have a Shoutbox. So for me, it's better to have one than to not have one. =)

At the bottom of the forums, it already shows who is online. Even if no staff are online - a Member, Moderator or a Admin himself are in-game at sometime on a daily basis. People could always make a post or send a PM to staff also.

------------------------------------

I think a arcade system on the forums would be very good to have. Some forums I've been to have had a arcade system on the forums & was really fun.

I meant so they can't alter any original evidence they gave. So say they lied in the OP then someone finds out they can't change it so it dosn't look like they didn't. It was just something I saw on a TF2 Scam Report website which became very useful as more scam appeals came in.

A better fix might be an "edit history" so we can see previous versions of the post, and i THINK admins/owners can do this already.

Oh wow didn't think about that. Would have been so much easier to say that than me struggling to explain. If you can already do that then discard that idea.

» The Shoutbox is a very good idea I think.

It got positive & negative things, but it would really help to reduce spam and useless topics.

» The Like-Button I find stupid. You see a normal conversation and 20likes on it then. I can't see any use of it.. And yes, some things need to have a function..

» The "Sign-In trough Steam" Is a bit unnecessary i think.. At least it is for me.. My steam starts up automatically like most people think (it logs in automatically) And Outbreak is also immediatly signed in when I open the website..

» And the "Currently-Online" you can see on the bottem of the webpage like mentioned by Tiny.

But you forget the most important thing.. You need to find those plug-ins compatible with this website and the currently installed plug-ins.. We use phpBB, which is used a lot, but perhaps this website got other plug-ins which are perhaps not compatible with for example a Shoutbox.

I like the idea of a Shoutbox, a place to have random conversations on with the rest of the community instead of just making a new topic for every single thing that people have on their mind and ending up spamming. And yes, some might say that that's why the teamspeak is there for, but for example I would personally be too shy to go on teamspeak to just come up with a random conversation.

I don't think the Shoutbox is a good idea.
I like the idea of a Shoutbox.

image.img.jpg?1317939573

Brace yourselves lads...I sense a relationship breaking argument on the horizon.

Yeh, fucking bitch, She's meant to be my other half but this has pushed me over the edge.